Irish burial rituals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish burial rituals

@@@@SPAN style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">Bit of a bizarre one, but I'm interested in why we (Irish people) bury our dead so quickly. You wouldn't be cold and they would have the sod down on you. Normal practice in other European countries is that burial takes place a few weeks after death.

Also whats the craic with other rituals - I had to help dig a grave recently in West Limerick for an elderly relative and there was a few mad "rules" (breaking open older coffins was the worst - made me gawk), and a lorra lorra whiskey.
    @@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">@@@@/SPAN></font>

Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

The one about the whiskey, is once a bottle is opened it has to be finished. I fell out of a graveyard a few times from digging graves. [img]smileys/redface.gif[/img]

Comment

open to correction - but as far as I am aware three major world religions of Christianity, Islam and Judaism all try and bury their dead as soon as possible. It has got something to do with the belief that the soul leaves the body at the exact time of death thus beginning whatever afterlife they believe in. The body that is left is an empty container that should be treated with respect but buried quickly.

As for the mad rituals - sure all cultures/religions/countries have them...

\'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
      Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

Fitzy, what's going on with your posts? why are words highlighted all the time?
        <a href=\"http://www.xboxlc.com/profile/Ruck_You\" target=\"_blank\">
        http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/sig/default/Ruck%20You.jpg
        </a>

If you’re fat stay in the ruck - Liam Toland

Comment

Thanks lads - anyone know if that new crematorium has been built yet - think there was one scheduled to be built in Clare.

Good business to get into - aging population, steady flow of "customers".

Comment

Originally posted by Ruck
            Fitzy, what's going on with your posts? why are words highlighted all the time?
            Yeah, think it's Firefox, I'm on a beta release and it's kack.

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73
              Thanks lads - anyone know if that new crematorium has been built yet - think there was one scheduled to be built in Clare.

Good business to get into - aging population, steady flow of "customers".
              Many Hindu's don't bother with a crematorium and just create their own funeral pyres along the banks of rivers and perform the ceremony there.

Some how we thinks that may not work on the banks of the Shannon or Lee..
              \'For he that hath no stomach for this fight, let him depart\'.
              Henry V - Battle of Agincourt 1415

Comment

i was at a funeral in spain and the person was buried a day or two after dying. don't know if that's the norm there but there wasn't much hanging around. no rituals either.

Comment

So today I discover Fitzy and Michael are gravediggers.[img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img]

Did you steal anything worthwhile from the corpses lads or do any bodysnatching? I wouldn't be ashamed of it, all the greats did it, Michaelangelo, De Vinci etc...

Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry
                    So today I discover Fitzy and Michael are gravediggers.[img]smileys/surprised.gif[/img]

Did you steal anything worthwhile from the corpses lads or do any bodysnatching? I wouldn't be ashamed of it, all the greats did it, Michaelangelo, De Vinci etc...
                    There is a surprising amount of interesting things that come out of graves. For some mad reason, a lot of coins.

Comment

@@@@SPAN style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">.

Also whats the craic with other rituals - I had to help dig a grave recently in West Limerick for an elderly relative and there was a few mad "rules" (breaking open older coffins was the worst - made me gawk), and a lorra lorra whiskey.
                      @@@@/SPAN>@@@@SPAN style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">@@@@/SPAN></font>
                      What is the breaking open of coffins in aid of does anybody know?

Comment

Anyone remember this one?

Gerry Ryan: (during a discussion on whether people would like to be buried or cremated when they die) -

"Would you like to be buried or cremated?"

Caller: "Oh, buried Gerry."

Gerry Ryan: "And where would you like to be buried?"

Caller: "Up to me balls in Bibi Baskin!"

Comment

Originally posted by alexmcred
                          @@@@SPAN style="font-family: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;">.

What is the breaking open of coffins in aid of does anybody know?
                          Often there are other family members in one plot. The grave needs to be, well, six feet under, so rather than move a coffin they usually break it down.

Originally posted by socks
                          i was at a funeral in spain and the person was buried a
                          day or two after dying. don't know if that's the norm there but there
                          wasn't much hanging around. no rituals either.
                          Maybe it's a Catholic thing, so?

Comment

A couple of local Characters I know went to a funeral once and the tradition at the graveyard was for everyone going in to have a glass of Whiskey. Well the 2nd guy thought this was great (he didn't know the person who died). He kept jumping the wall and getting more whiskey. After a while they brought in the coffin and he ended up being chief mourner. Roaring crying at the graveside.
                            www.stsenansrugby.com

Comment

Thanks for that Fitzy

Comment

Working...
                              X