Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Head of Oxfam in the richest 1% of world population?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Head of Oxfam in the richest 1% of world population?

World's wealth held in hands of richest 1% of population - Oxfam

Just wondering, like.

Originally posted by Pythagoras View Post

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity...rticle/1335060

He's on less than £125,000 per year. Running a large, complex, high profile organisation I'd say that's a pretty reasonable sum.

Graduate recruits in Investment Banks are on £45-50k.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
      http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity...rticle/1335060

He's on less than £125,000 per year. Running a large, complex, high profile organisation I'd say that's a pretty reasonable sum.

Graduate recruits in Investment Banks are on £45-50k.
      I think that there is a fair chance that that income puts him in the top 1% bracket, given that the overall wealth required to be in the top 1% (including house value) is about £550k.

If he is in this bracket, then what should he do, given that his organisation has chosen to highlight this as being unfair?

Comment

Pythagoras, you may well be within the top 1% too.

According to the Global Rich List, a website that brings awareness to worldwide income disparities, an income of $32,400 a year will allow you to make the cut. Using current exchange rates, that amounts to roughly:
        29,100 euros
        2.1 million Indian rupees, or
        200,900 Chinese yuan

So if you’re an accountant, a registered nurse or even an elementary school teacher, congratulations. The average wage for any of these careers falls well within the top one percent worldwide.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles...cent-world.asp

Ranking by Wealth

The threshold is significantly higher if you look at the top percentile by wealth instead of income. To reach that status, you’d have to possess $770,000 in net worth, which includes everything from the equity in your home to the value of your investments. That’s equal to roughly:
        692,000 euros
        48.9 million Indian rupees or
        4.8 million Chinese yuan

Americans rank extremely high in terms of household wages – sixth worldwide, according to a 2013 Gallup survey – but not as high when it comes to median wealth. In fact, Credit Suisse ranks the U.S. just 25th by this measure.
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/01...test+-+Text%29
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

On a similar vein. 62 people own as much as the poorest half of the world

Comment

Actually never mind its the same content as original article posted by Pythagoras

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                Pythagoras, you may well be within the top 1% too.
                I may or may not be but I'm not the Head of Oxfam making out that this is wrong.
                Shouldn't he at the very least slash his own salary if he's sincere about this?

Comment

Working...
                X