How to make mouthguard fit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make mouthguard fit?

I was given a Masel double guard and when I put it in my mouth it fits over my top and bottom teeth and when I bite down it stays down. The bite area on the bottom row(The lines)doesn't fully fit my mouth because I had the two very back teeth out because of the braces. But when I open my mouth the top ones pops off a bit and the bottom one comes off a bit but it goes back on when I bite down. Is there anything I can do to make it fully fit because that is the only orthodontic mouthguard that has had a single chance of working for me out of all the ones I tried which wouldn't even go on and these are the closest shot of a mouthguard I can get? Like can I put it in hard water or what? Will wearing g it a lot make it adapt to my mouth?

Thanks
    Last edited by RugbyLad99; 10th-January-2016, 16:43.

Old style was to put it in hot water for a few minutes to soften it and then wear it so as it cools down it adapts to the shape of your mouth, not sure if this works with the new ones.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

This is the mouthguard:http://www.masel.com.au/patient-supp...uthguards.html
      The standard one with no strap. It is a soft silicone. It says it's supposed to adapt but I don't know. It's the only mouthguard that is close to working for me compared to others which wouldn't even go on my mouth and my ortho doesn't do custom

Comment

Originally posted by RugbyLad99 View Post
        This is the mouthguard:http://www.masel.com.au/patient-supp...uthguards.html
        The standard one with no strap. It is a soft silicone. It says it's supposed to adapt but I don't know. It's the only mouthguard that is close to working for me compared to others which wouldn't even go on my mouth and my ortho doesn't do custom
        Most ordinary dentists will do them.
        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
          Most ordinary dentists will do them.
          What about exceptional dentists?

Comment

I don't have the money to get custom made

Comment

Fixodent? I know you're problem as I cannot get a mouth guard to fit the 11 year old. I tell him to run around with his mouth shut and not to smile at the referee.

Comment

I don't know. Can silicone be molded like the more traditional mouthguards with warm water and bite and sick? Oh and can I cut the ends of the mouthguard that are not covering any teeth?

Comment

Originally posted by Keyop View Post
                  What about exceptional dentists?
                  They'll be exceptionally priced.

Comment

I don't know. Can silicone be molded like the more traditional mouthguards with warm water and bite and sick? Oh and can I cut the ends of the mouthguard that are not covering any teeth?
                    I cut the ends off because he gags otherwise. I have seen it stated where you can cut down excess length.

Comment

The four very back molars were removed to give room for the wisdom teeth when they come down. And that is where the excess is. I think this is what is pulling the mouthguard off my teeth when I open my mouth I dont know. Still the question about molding remains.

Comment

Dunno about the moulding for silicone. Maybe you have a bigger opening than the joined up guard allows. Maybe try cutting away the tethering. I get loads of them in lidl and aldi when they are in. A fiver a piece. I had 4 teeth removed for same reason and had no issue keeping gum shields in.

Comment

Thank you! Will I cut the excess at the back as well?

Comment

Thank you! Will I cut the excess at the back as well?
                            Eek! First try without tethering. If the excess bothers you then trim it. Not large chunks and find out you cut too much. You haven't much to lose if it's not working to start with.

Comment

Working...
                            X