Mind your CC this christmas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mind your CC this christmas

Just had a chat with my bank card services, now I'm in Ethiopia but it seems there's been some attempts to use my card online in Ireland in the Balbriggan area.
    Lucky for me the shops stopped the transaction but one got through for the cinema there.
    I normally tell the bank where I am so if there's any funnies they stop it. Shops , Nike store and Snickers cancelled when delivery address did not correspond with my limerick address to which the card is registered.
    Thing is though, all the transactions only occurred after I had to use PayPal on 9th Nov to send Flowers, and it's not that my computer was hacked, firewalls at work are extremely hard to get past and we use secure satellite comms through Vsats.
    Bank told me the problem lies with PayPal, so if you are shopping online this Xmas, avoid PayPal.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Paypal has not been hacked (yet). Individual accounts have been, but that is due to other accounts being hacked - most notably email accounts.

I know a lot of people with complex passwords for their bank accounts, and a password of "password123" for their email account. You can reset a hell of a lot once you have someone's email address.

Re Paypal, you can set up an alert to have an email sent every time a payment is made on it.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Cheers Fitzy, my email account has an 11 digit password that is changed every 3 months, one thing that strikes me though is that it has to be a skanger that got the details, why else shop in Nike store and Snickers,probably need new tackies and a tracksuit for Xmas. card is now blocked,it may be the flower shops account was hacked, and if I don't recognise the address in an email it goes straight in the bin without opening and is also marked as junk.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
        Lucky for me ....
        The reason the banks are so on the ball is because you aren't liable, they are.

Comment

If you use Gmail set 2 factor authentication up. Anyone trying to log in to your account will need a one time code which is sent to your mobile
          The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
          - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Good to also set up 3D security on your card.

Comment

Recession tip: keep your cc limit as low as possible. Prevents you or the bad guys spending too much
              The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
              - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Only use laptop through work network, Sonic Wall security system through a Vsat, not public networks, also had it checked by IT security along with IPad and IPhone, all clear. Attempts on using it only occurred after using PayPal and all were in Blanchards town, so what does that tell you.
                my payment was to a company in Kenya, going to contact card services to see if there was any further investigation done on it.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post

Attempts on using it only occurred after using PayPal and all were in Blanchardstown, so what does that tell you.

It tells me that 1 and 1 make 2:

PayPal Europe
                  Ballycoolin Business Park
                  Blanchardstown
                  DUBLIN 15
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

I want to send something to KT for streams, but Im absolute (& scared) dinosaur re Paypal etc. Would anyone know if I can buy a prepaid visa card, and use that on Paypal - ie without any link to my own bank details? Thanks

Comment

Yes you can. I think An Post do them in Ireland. If you’re in the US they have them in CVS, Walmart etc
                      "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

3 Money Card

https://www.three.ie/money/
                        Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                          Does the Government annual tax apply to it?

Oops,reading through the blurb it seems there is a minor one
                          Last edited by Arthur Guinness; 16th-October-2018, 09:43.
                          The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                          X