Roger Waters....bit pricey ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger Waters....bit pricey ?

ROCK fans may be left in the red if they want to see the creative genius behind Pink Floyd in Dublin next year.

Tickets for the Roger Waters gig in the Point are selling at an 'astronomical' €96.25 from today.

The cost of the tickets - at €91.25 for general admission and €96.25 seated - is bound to infuriate fans as tickets for UK gigs for the same tour are selling from under €45 to just under €74.

Last night, consumer watchdogs blasted Waters and the promoters for charging almost €100 for the Dublin 'Dark Side of the Moon' date.

Aiken Promotions was unavailable to comment on the cost of tickets to see the man it is billing as 'the creative genius behind Pink Floyd' next May. Tickets for gigs at the Point normally retail around €60.

The cost of the Waters gig contrasts dramatically with the prices charged to see chart-topping performers, including Beyonce, who is also playing the Point next year.

Aiken also promoted Christina Aguilera's recent gig for which tickets cost between €73.50 and €78.50.

Tickets for its Justin Timberlake dates at the Odyssey in Belfast next April start at €65, while Rod Stewart at the RDS in July costs between €55.70 and €86.25.

In comparison with the Waters tickets, Westlife at the Odyssey Arena on April 13 is a bargain basement gig. It costs just over €48 for general admission.

George Michael is the only artist whose prices compare with Waters - although his general admission is still cheaper than Waters.

"The astronomical cost of concert tickets is a huge problem and the rarity of seeing someone like Roger Waters can force consumers to pay for them," said Dermott Jewell, Chief Executive of The Consumers Association of Ireland.

"It is time someone took a stand, somewhere along the line and people should shy away from purchasing them. I'm as big a music fan as the next and know Pink Floyd as much as any consumer out there, but you do begin to question the value of what you are getting.

"These artists deserve to be priced out of the business. The promoters sometimes give the excuse that costs are higher here than in the UK, but how can world ranking artist like Christina Aguilera afford to charge a lot less?"

The Irish Independent's rock critic John Meagher pointed out that the price for a recent Killers gig was €44.

"Pink Floyd was an enormously popular band, but since they split up Roger Waters hasn't exactly set the world alight with his solo material," he said.

One French fan who saw the singer in Nevers, France, in July said the tickets he bought were among the most expensive he had ever purchased.

"Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with the seats that we had," he said.

"I think I was among the first to buy the tickets, and they cost just under €166 - and to pay that only to see Roger playing on a screen.

"I think the French promoters just thought about money and took Roger's fans for sheep."

Alright Leftwinger, good to see another Waters fan on the forum! Ya, heard the price this morning and I have to say that's a large amount of money. One thing I must say though, I saw him in Cork during the summer and it was the best concert I have ever been to. So, IMO, it's worth the money. The Point isn't the greatest venue like but it'll do. Disgrace that they are selling for way less in the UK. He's got enough money as it is. Langer
    http://www.rebelwaves.com

Comment

In fairness though, they are comparing Waters tickets to Westlife tickets. No comparison

Comment

Originally posted by DonL
        Alright Leftwinger, good to see another Waters fan on the forum! Ya, heard the price this morning and I have to say that's a large amount of money. One thing I must say though, I saw him in Cork during the summer and it was the best concert I have ever been to. So, IMO, it's worth the money. The Point isn't the greatest venue like but it'll do. Disgrace that they are selling for way less in the UK. He's got enough money as it is. Langer

and another one!

If I remember correctly, didn't we pay 82 euro (incl booking fee) to see himat the Marquee? At the time of booking, I thought it was becaue of the 'intimate' venue but a bit much all the same. It was certainly the best gig I was ever at, superb.
        Bagáiste ar phriacal an úinéara.

Comment

Originally posted by dsennah

and another one!

If I remember correctly, didn't we pay 82 euro (incl booking fee) to see himat the Marquee? At the time of booking, I thought it was becaue of the 'intimate' venue but a bit much all the same. It was certainly the best gig I was ever at, superb.

I've just been emailing a buddy there to see what we did pay for the marquee and we remember it the same as yourself, about €80. The concert in the Point is on a Monday as well, which certainly isn't prime time.Close to €100 is very steep to fork out running up to Christmas. I reckon it could sell out pretty quickly as well after the success of the Cork Marquee gig. Decisions, decisions!!

Comment

Ooooh, there goes my budget for that gig. Rollix.I certainly can't afford that. But what's burning me even more is that I can't blame MCD, whom I detest with the hatred of a thousand fiery suns. [img]smileys/mad.gif[/img]

For you stole Trevelyan\'s watch, So the young might see....oh, never mind....

Comment

Don't care how much they are...I'm there....[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

Would pay that money to see floyd back together and more ...but not to see waters on his own .
                \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Originally posted by munsterbouy

Would pay that money to see floyd back together and more ...but not to see waters on his own .

It's nearly worth it though Munsterbouy because it's the closest you'll ever get to seeing Pink Floyd live. Waters is a superb performer and his voice is still excellent. In Cork Nick Mason joined him for the Dark Side of the Moon half of the concert, which made ithalf of Pink Floyd up there. The effects are unreal and his own songs are brilliant as well.

Comment

I saw him in cork aswell

He was amazing that nite

One of the best gigs i have ever been to

€90 is very expensive but prob worth it to be honest

To not give it everything, is to sacrifice the gift.

Comment

Two tickets to Dolly Parton = 225 total approx. for The Green Glens Arena, they hadn't cheaper tickets online, the cheapest were over 80 plus fees each. The tickets weren't for me btw, they were pressie's, but most concerts are overpriced here compared to Britain etc.

Comment

Originally posted by munsterbouy

It's nearly worth it though Munsterbouy because it's the closest you'll ever get to seeing Pink Floyd live. Waters is a superb performer and his voice is still excellent. In Cork Nick Mason joined him for the Dark Side of the Moon half of the concert, which made ithalf of Pink Floyd up there. The effects are unreal and his own songs are brilliant as well.

Sorry I am just not a fan of waters to be honest and from what I have seen (recorded admittedly)I think floyd put on a better show.As a matter of interest floyd was formed not 200 yards from where I am sitting at this moment.I am one of the faithful hoping and praying for a reunion tour.I just could'nt to listen to floyd live without Dave gilmour playing guitar .....its just not right!![img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                        \"As she lay there dozing next to me, one voice inside my head kept saying, \'Relax, you\'re not the first doctor to sleep with one of his patients\', but the another kept reminding me, \' you are a veterinarian!\'\"

Comment

Was a big fan of Floyd way back and that was the time to see them obviously.Would'nt pay that kind of dosh to see anyone, espically a dinosaur looking for a handy payout. Too say that you saw a quarter of PF or include Mason and say u saw half of PF is nuts.

Comment

Was at the Gig in Cork in the summer,have to agree that it was an incredible show but I think I`ve given RW enough of my hard earned cash over the last 25 years,now if Gilmour tours thats would be a different story
                            What once were vices,now are habits

Comment

I remember a few years back(quite a few actually) Pink floyd had decided they were going to try and do a few dates in Ireland but had to scrap it due to the Logistics of their show primarily because I think there was something like 54 Artic trucks to get the stage and lighting etc on the road.Now that would be a show !!!!! oh dear I think I am going to have watch my earls court video for the millionth time.

Comment

Working...
                              X