Musicians Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Musicians Thread

I went home to my parents there last week. They have the piano my mother learned on as a child, horribly out of tune, and I decided to plink about on it. I played a few scales, and started trying to teach myself Silent Night. My father said the few days I was there was the most it's been played in thirty years.

I've decided to save up to get a digital piano, and once I have that I'll get a few lessons. This is probably the worst timing for this seeing as my rent is going up almost 25% in a month.

Still it's good fun messing around. I tried learning drums and guitar as a teenager, but it was more about being in a band than actually playing an instrument. I think as an adult I'm far more likely to take things methodically.

Any other musicians on MF?
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

I dabble with the guitar Buceph. Just socially now - used to play in a band in Limerick in the early 90s
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

I'm gigging less than I was in London, but still keeping a hand in about once a month.

Do you have an ipad by any chance Buceph? There's some interesting tutor apps and devices for learners that might save you a bit and get you started in the short term.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I don't have an iPad. I do have a Nexus 7, so Android and I know there's not as many music apps available for Android due to the diversity of hardware.

*Re-reg'ed under a name I go by more often.* Gonna miss my title.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrenda View Post
          I don't have an iPad. I do have a Nexus 7, so Android and I know there's not as many music apps available for Android due to the diversity of hardware.

*Re-reg'ed under a name I go by more often.* Gonna miss my title.
          I've been using Yousician to improve my guitar technique (years of playing has left me with more bad habits than good ones). I think they're developing for piano now. Well worth a look, if the guitar one is anything to go by.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Took up guitar about 8 years ago, have about 10 party pieces. It's a great way to while away 20 mins or so, it's almost become a little bit of zen. There's some great channels on YouTube for budding learners.

@BallaBoy is yousician subscription based? I've really bad habits and still can't use a plec
            Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
              Took up guitar about 8 years ago, have about 10 party pieces. It's a great way to while away 20 mins or so, it's almost become a little bit of zen. There's some great channels on YouTube for budding learners.

@BallaBoy is yousician subscription based? I've really bad habits and still can't use a plec
              It's a bit like Spotify - there's a certain level of content available on a free sign up, and unlimited access for $19.99 a month, or $9.99 if you pay for a year in one go.

I find it very good. Mini video tutorials, and a "guitar hero" style interface that listens to what you're playing and scores you for accuracy, allowing you to unlock the next stage in that module. I think it's the gamification of the interface that has made the difference for me - I tend to go back over exercises again and again trying to get better scores where I might have cut myself too much slack without it and just moved on to the next bit. Which is where most of us come unstuck, I think - not putting down the technique basics, and then suddenly finding that we run out of fingers fast when things get more complex having coasted reasonably comfortably up to that point.

Comment

I had piano lessons rammed down my throat by a frothy mouthed nun. I plugged myself into a digital piano at a show sometime back and I loved it. The thing is I can play, but I cannot perform. If I think someone is watching or listening, I cave. But I bought myself a digital piano probably 6 years ago. It's a Roland. I play to my hearts content. In my own head inside; my ear phones; I am a pianist and nobody gets to know any different! It is my cigarette. It's my down time and sanity. I can thoroughly recommend the digital pianos as a form of therapy on it's own and if you are able to perform then always a welcome party time element too.
                Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Similar to yourself Boo, I only play when there's no-one around to hear me! My main instrument is the clarinet but I fouter at the piano occasionally as well, both for blues/jazz type stuff mainly. It's purely for my own enjoyment, and I generally get more out of discovering a new way of accompanying something than just "keeping within the lines" and learning a tune down pat. It's definitely not for entertaining other folk - I'd hate the pressure to perform that would come from having people listen to me play. Quite happy to sing occasionally, but playing is different!

NB @Mrenda ... the piano, a proper upright made of rosewood, is one I acquired off of Freegle - all it cost me was the diesel involved in picking it up and bringing it home. Could be worth your while to check Freegle for a few weeks as musical instruments do come up from time to time, or at least when I was looking around here they did. My one sounds a bit shonky & slightly out of tune in a couple of places (in particular where two of the higher keys beside one another sound almost identical!) but I love the sound it makes and I'm slightly afraid that if I got it tuned I might ruin it.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Playing Guitar about 20 years and in my late teens I played in a 'garage band' that was as much fun as I've ever had. Playing Gigs all over Cork and going to the studio to record a Demo Tape for Radio Stations. Brilliant fun and great people.

Still play the guitar a few times a week at home and only in public now really at family occasions.

I really miss the buzz from playing a gig live and would love to get back into it only I know from my foray into S&C Coaching last year - I simply do not have the time for it now with work/ family etc

Comment

I got forty quid for my guitar when I was ten.
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                      X