Social Democrats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Democrats

Simon, Catherine and Roisin have at managed to go one better than Lucinda's (& Eddie Hobbit) Regressive Demagogues.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Their "ideas" are here.

A sample;

• Developing a National Housing and Land Strategy, including dealing with homelessness, land supply issues and planning law
    • Increasing supply of social and affordable housing through accessing EIB funds, attracting institutional investors, and expanding the Financial Contribution Scheme for Older Persons
    • Legislating to promote security of tenure and rent certainty, including constitutional change if necessary

• Extending, progressively, the period of paid parental leave to 12 months
    • Raising the quality and affordability of childcare through increased capitation rates linked to standards, and extension of access to free pre-school provision
    • Establishing Early Childhood Health and Wellbeing clinics with enhanced family support services
    • Committing to breaking the cycle of inequality by building on effective strategies that improve outcomes for children and families in disadvantaged communities

• Establishing an Electoral Commission to act as a powerful watchdog on politics
    • Electing the Ceann Comhairle by secret ballot
    • Strengthening the committee system
    • Reducing the power of the whip
    • Abolishing the Economic Management Council
    • Establishing a forward-planning and implementation unit in the Taoiseach’s Department

• Publishing evidence-based criteria for major resource allocation decisions
    • Abolishing the Official Secrets Act, replacing it with a modern approach
    • Legislating for disclosure of civil service advice to Ministers
    • Ending the political appointment of judges
    • Monitoring stringently the impact of public sector programmes

• Streamlining administrative complexities for SMEs
    • Improving social protection for entrepreneurs and the self-employed
    • Introducing a flexible rates regime that includes factors other than property value
    • Ending of zero-hour contracts and improving job security

• Reducing bankruptcy to one year and insolvency to three years
    • Providing financial and legal expertise and representation to borrowers in distress
    • Making sure restructuring offers are similar across the banks and are sustainable for borrowers
    • Getting the mortgage-to-rent scheme working

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post

Their "ideas" are here.
      Their innovative revenue generating proposals are genuinely staggering!

"We must protect and create good quality, stable employment. This must be backed up with sound fiscal policy and long-term economic planning. This includes responsible budgeting and tackling public and private debt. It means continuing Ireland’s success in foreign direct investment, and replicating it for Irish businesses, both big and small. Financial policy should, and can, benefit the many, ensuring recovery not just for some, but for all."

Definitely radical! The talented Stephen Donnelly must have used the backs of three cigarette packages to have drawn those up!
      New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Nice list. How are they paying for it.

Comment

They way I read it is that they want Irish companies to 'off-shore' and then use FDI to come back. It's genius.

Comment

Must have trawled the comments section of the journal for most of those ideas, put them to a group of academic economists over a nice long lunch of fines wines, asked a few stay at home mums to participate in a focus group and bingo!
            Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

no mention of alcohol sale restrictions. i'm disappointed
              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                no mention of alcohol sale restrictions. i'm disappointed
                I am lost. Was this post intended to be funny or did you actually mean it?
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Listening to Roisin Shortall on Newstalk at lunch I'm not exactly clear on their position wrt water charges/IW. She/they do not support the charges in their current guise (indeed she is refusing to pay the charges) however she/they think that there should be a basic allowance any anything over/above that should be charged for at a particular rate.

Comment

Like the name - good idea to associate with quite a strong brand.

Policies not very innovative or detailed - the usual lefty do-gooder stuff which sounds nice but leaves people worse off. In some ways, it's just trying to recreate the labour party without the baggage.

Comment

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
                      Like the name - good idea to associate with quite a strong brand.

Policies not very innovative or detailed - the usual lefty do-gooder stuff which sounds nice but leaves people worse off. In some ways, it's just trying to recreate the labour party without the baggage.
                      The SDP ? Who'll be Paddy Pantsdown ?

Comment

Originally posted by DBU2 View Post
                        I am lost. Was this post intended to be funny or did you actually mean it?
                        i was kind of looking forward to seeing roisin getting in there
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
                          The SDP ? Who'll be Paddy Pantsdown ?
                          Paddy was a Liberal, I was thinking more Gerhard Schröder.

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                            Listening to Roisin Shortall on Newstalk at lunch I'm not exactly clear on their position wrt water charges/IW. She/they do not support the charges in their current guise (indeed she is refusing to pay the charges) however she/they think that there should be a basic allowance any anything over/above that should be charged for at a particular rate.

Blew themselves to pieces on the RTE 6 o'clock news this evening!

agin water charges and will abolish Irish water,

Stephen Dee will pay his water charge, but the two wimmin won't!

agin the 8th Amendment to the constitution (abortion)

agin higher taxation,

in favour of tax cuts - but not too many!

in favour of improved and expanded public services

The funding for those enhanced and expanded public services will be found at the bottom of Stephen D's garden, underneath the compost heap.

The new party will have three leaders!!! as each of them is too egotistical to defer to either of the others.

I predict a great surge in support for the Social Democrats! Behind the usual ream of promises to 'clean up politics' they're every bit as populist as Bertie Ahern distributing Lottery Grants in Drumcondra!
                            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Just another left wing party interested in spending other people's money wastefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X