X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berkeley Balcony Collapse

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/06/16/...ey-california/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0616/708497-california/

Really horrific news coming out of California. It seems that five Irish J1 students have been killed in a balcony collapse. A number of others have also been injured, some very seriously.
    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Almost guaranteed someone on here will know someone............have had kids on J1s always worrying but this is heartbreaking.
    Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
      Almost guaranteed someone on here will know someone............have had kids on J1s always worrying but this is heartbreaking.
      Yeah my parents were constantly worried when i was in J1
      Stand up and fight

Comment

Death toll up to 6 now
        The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
        Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Very sad news all our thoughts go out to the parents and families....Have my youngest Daughter out there at the moment and your heart skips a beat when you hear this sort of news...unfortunately or fortunately youth has an air of invincibility surrounding it, but all us Dinosaurs know differently....again a very sad news story...

Comment

Terrible tragedy.

Comment

There is 3 from our row of houses out there on their J1. They are in that campus. Thankfully contact was made by 1pm today.
              AS for the other poor kids and parents it's an awful tragedy.
              Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Seemingly past pupils of St Mary's Dublin.

Comment

So sad, so young all looking forward to a summer of sunshine and fun but cut short so quickly. God be with their families and friends
                  Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

Comment

Just horrific. What an absolute waste of life. Thoughts go out to the families and loved ones. I can't imagine the paralysing fear that would have overcome the families, who have kids on J1, in Berkeley today.

It's the last thing anyone would think off heading out on a J1. Everyone knows someone who has been or has been themselves on a J1, just a group of kids on a holiday of a lifetime, but God it just really hits close to home. Just a desperately sad, sad time.

What else can you really say. So heartbreaking.
                    Last edited by Stringer9; 16th-June-2015, 21:16.
                    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Tragic how very sad such young lives cut short. Terrible.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I know a lad whose daughter was on the balcony earlier but not when it collapsed. Lucky girl but desperate thing to have to go through. Very sad for all concerned. Buts things into prospective.
                        When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

yanks and there bloody timber construction, Irl and Uk builds are light years ahead of them. think I heard said that this was only built in 06 and the beams holding the balcony from the pictures seem rotten to the core. god help those poor families

Comment

The balcony itself seems to have turned completely upside down and landed on the one beneath. There was no connection between the railings and the wall of the building. The only support for the balcony was from below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	balcony.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2485687(RTE.ie)

I have just googled "Berkley Balcony Collapse" to get that picture and the first item on Google is a sponsored link:

" Tragic Balcony Collapse Our Lawyers Are Here For You"

EDIT:
                            this photo (Guardian.com):
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Balcony2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2485688seems to show the "floor" of the balcony between the railings and the wall of the building.

The "floor" appears to have failed where, or near where, it was joined onto the building. Those on it had no chance.

Holding onto the railings would have been little if any help given that the railings were not in any way connected to the building once the floor gave way.
                            Last edited by Piquet; 17th-June-2015, 07:40.

Comment

trajic, and with Ireland being such a small country, we will probbaly know someone who knows someone there...

i see the westboro baptist church are having a field day on twitter..
                              their all powerful god decided to kill 6 partying irish kids using the iconic, shoddily constructed balcony method...

b@stards...
                              https://twitter.com/WBCSaysRepent
                              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X