UPC Horizon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPC Horizon

Have to switch providers so wondering has anyone here got the UPC phone/tv/broadband package, hearing mostly negative stories but price wise seems much better value than Sky

thanks in advance.

I have it for years. I have never had a problem and they have a loyalty department where I nag them about the price and I secure a discount. I have never been without service and they usually they can fix stuff over the phone.
    Once though, I asked for a new Modem as my other one had gone out with the dinosaurs. I told them I was not too technical and were they sure I would be able to install it myself. They said it was very easy and that there was a sheet of paper with very easy instructions and it would be no problem. Then they proceeded to verify the cost to me of which included an Installation fee of 10 euro. I then asked would it be okay if I paid myself the installation fee in 1 euro coins. They didn't get it. I had to explain that we had just had a conversation about self installation so how were they going to charge me a 10 euro installation fee. they waived it.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

The thing I've found with UPC, rua (and I've been with them for years), is that their product is good, but their customer service is appalling.

We just moved house to East Galway, renting, was tempted to switch to Sky, but landlord wasn't happy with the idea of a satellite dish being installed on his house, so I initiated what I thought would be the simple matter of transferring over my UPC package while upgrading to Horizon at the same time. Jesus, the mess they made of it! Won't bore you with details, but I had to have some strong words with one of their managers to get it sorted.

But it's done now, and I'm impressed with the service. The stability and speed of the broadband is outstanding. Admittedly, on the television side, the selection of content on MyPrime is a joke (compared to Sky, anyway), but I'm up at 6am every morning, studying in the evening, two kids under four: I rarely get a chance to watch TV anyway. All I really want my digital box to do is record the rugby so that I can watch it back when the house is quiet...

Comment

If you watch a lot of television and aren't using the internet for anything aside from casual browsing then it's probably worth your while going with Sky. The selection of channels is much better, the UPC channel list is almost exclusively awful tripe. 90% of what's watched in my place is the missus throwing on Home & Away of an evening. The UPC broadband is superb though. If you can manage with just an internet connection (i.e. you download / stream most of what you watch) then I'd almost say go with just that. I probably would if I had the choice but I'm tied in to the Horizon package for a year.
        "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Thanks for the replies, the main gripe with them it seems that before they provided a wireless router for the Wifi, the horizon box now also does this and that in itself has created a much weaker wifi signal.

Sky seem the better safer bet but more expensive option

Comment

Originally posted by rua13 View Post
            Thanks for the replies, the main gripe with them it seems that before they provided a wireless router for the Wifi, the horizon box now also does this and that in itself has created a much weaker wifi signal.

Skys BB is nowhere near UPCs offering They simply piggyback on Eircoms service. If BB is important to you I'd stay with UPC. Personally I have Sky TV and UPC BB, but I'm only paying for half of it so it's affordable.

Comment

Just thought id warn you i have tried both the broadband and tv service and the broadband service is first rate and id highly recommend getting UPC broadband were available!

alas the UPC horizon TV box they send out is the worst crap ive ever seen!!! sky tv is the better service but if u just want broadband and phone with UPC they are the biz!

Hope it helps.
              "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Originally posted by Bash View Post
                Just thought id warn you i have tried both the broadband and tv service and the broadband service is first rate and id highly recommend getting UPC broadband were available!

alas the UPC horizon TV box they send out is the worst crap ive ever seen!!! sky tv is the better service but if u just want broadband and phone with UPC they are the biz!

Hope it helps.
                Horizon is terrible. They may still supply the older HD boxes which were really good.

Comment

If I was in UPC land I'd take their bb and phone package I think. I'd then fit a fta combi box (with extras) with a hdd for tv.
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Broadband is definitely better with UPC (although I wasn't getting anywhere close to the speeds they promised in Cork City) but the Horizon box itself was a pain in the arse.

The TV interface is quite slow and laggy and there's a huge amount of sh!te on there. It also seems to go on the blink semi regularly and can be useless for a couple of hours at a time. I was probably just paranoid but I felt this coincided far too regularly with major sporting events (US Masters weekend, munster games etc).

I recently got Sky in for my mother in West Cork because she was getting fleeced by Eircom. She was paying through the teeth for 0.25mb/s broadband speed and national calls. Sky gave her the basic TV package, unlimited 7mb/s BB, national calls and European landlines for less than Eircom were charging.

I was looking forward to seeing how much better the sky interface was but to be honest the new set up they have is a pain in the arse as well. You hit guide and go into a screen full of windows, then press it again to get into the channel list. I think you can press back up and go straight into the list but there is no way to access your favourite channels without hitting a load of buttons.

I don't know why they have to overcomplicate all these things. All their on demand stuff is sh!te anyway and most of us are using Netflix or similar for box sets. Give us a button to access all channels (separated by News, Entertainment, Sport etc like it used to) and another one for Favourite Channels. Then give us the recording buttons and one more button to access our recorded stuff. It's not that hard.

Oh and those stupid thumbnails giving you a preview of whats on inside the channel guide, they're pointless and just make everything laggy!

Comment

I think Sky's interface is as good as you'll find tbh. Their equipment is very reliable too.

Comment

Getting sky fibre installed Monday, they've told us we could get 92meg but even if we got half of that it would still be a gigantic improvement on the 2.5meg we are getting from 3 mobile broadband currently!

Always thought the sky box was a fantastic piece of mass produced technology.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                          How would you know?
                          I saw it in the pub. Very impressive.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, after reading some of the horror stories on boards.ie about the Horizon box i signed up with Sky.

Comment

We had the same problem with the UPC wireless signal as its all now in the one box, if you are downstairs where box is located the signal is grand but upstairs very weak. We bought a wifi extender kit and plugged one next to UPC box and one upstairs and it makes a massive difference the signal is strong both upstairs and down stairs.

Comment

Working...
                              X