Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbecue...any tips?

This was started on the Old site by Dipstick

"My better half is thinking of having a BBQ in a weeks time to celebrate a double birthday. Now I'm alright at sausages and burgers but I know my limitations. Anyone got any tips or suggestions for a menu and cooking tips etc.I just use an ordinary charcoal BBQ. I was thinking of T-bones...at least you can avoid marinades, maybe some baked spuds with salad. I'm not sure. Probably 10 or 12 people plus kids will be there."

Here are some of the responses :-

Dermot G :

Safety 1st. Keep kids back from the flame.

After that do whatever you like. Cook veg in tin foil. Let the heat die down a bit to avoid charring. Par cook ribs before hand.

Enjoy.

McCloud :

Marinate some pork and stick them on kebabs along with mushrooms and green/red peppers, cook quickly and are tasty. Stay away from chicken as it's difficult to ensure it properly cooked on a bbq.

Balla Boy :

Swordfish/Tuna steaks

Chunks ofsalmon on skewers with scallops and king prawns.<!- Signature ->

RobbieG :

Cook any chicken, or at least pre-boil beforehand, make sure you seperate cooked and non-cooked food..

good idea to keep non-cooked food in container before putting on bbq

if charcol bbq, heat up well before hand..

Check out tips here

Sewa :

Any decent butcher will have meat that they've marinaded that you can stick on some skewers with chunks of pineapple, onion and cherry tomatoes. If using wooden skewers soak in water first. These usually go down a treat.

Nelly :

a pretty easy marinate for chicken issweet chilli sauce, just roll the chicken round in it fora min n stick on skewers, and corn on the cob with butter wrapped in tin foil.

MoveCloserApart :

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Mushrooms,Tomatoes, chicken breast, get the beef/chicken skewers ready made in butchers, Spare ribs. @@@@/SPAN>

@@@@SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Do potatoes in oven, take about an hour, cheating a bit but saves time and space on the BBQ.@@@@/SPAN>

Leftwinger :

RED PEPPERS COATED IN OLIVE OIL....YUM

Monster Fan :

whats great for kids (if they for some reaon dont like blackened crispy food) is to chop a few chicken breasts into lumps and cook them in the oven in a dish covered in chicken satay sauce (from sharwoods or the like) you can then skewer them and give them a minute on the bbq.

Point :

Nugents opposite Flannerys Bar inGlasheen, are great. Big Rugby fan as well !

Eoin will make up quarter pounders there and then for you (and add in onion if you prefer). I usually get him to mince Round Steak for the QPs.

They also do kebabs and great T-bones.

TIP : For BBQ onions. Roll out a double piece of foil, double it over and put the cut up onions on it (rings or diced). Put a liberal amount of olive oil (or chili oil) over them with a bit of salt and pepper. (You could also if preferred, put hot paprika or crushed garlic). Mix them well in by hand. When ready fold over and roll up the edges until it looks like an envelope. Then put on the rack main rack and let them cook away for about 15 mins. Be carefull opening them up as it will be quite hot inside. Scoop the onions off the foil with a large spoon.

Ballyman :

Thus business on a bbq is make you're own burgers with steak mince, some flour, chopped onions, whatever spices and herbs you have and

Excellent Point - thx[img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks Point for reminding about one of the worst headaches I ever had. Seriously, the tips were of great help and I'm just looking at some of them again for the weekend. I was in Woodies yesterday and bought a Weber kettle BBQ (the biggest they had). People were buying charcoal to beat the band. Incredible weather I must say.

Comment

Point,

T-bones are a bit on the big side (unless you like raw meat). Striploins are more manageable (&amp; don't forget about the marinade....).

Chicken drums are fine, but give them a mins in the micro first (kill the bugs...) - and more marinade....

Not into veggies at a BBQ, but what about a salad - &amp; keep it apart from the meat.

Oh, and a spare fridge (for tinnies, chardonnay, chablis or whatever you're havin') is great. A spare 5'er and vist your recycling centre should net you a small (2nd hand...) unit..... Just fill with a crate/bottles of whatever a few hours before (near the fire but a bit upwind.....).

And enjoy.........[img]smileys/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Clean down the barbecues people, as far as I know tomorrow is the last day of the current spell of good weather

Comment

I am out in the back garden at present firing the BBQ and drinking some Wolf Blass to kill the thirst. I'd say I'll have to drink most of it because it's very hot.

Comment

Originally posted by dipstick
              I am out in the back garden at present firing the BBQ and drinking some Wolf Blass to kill the thirst. I'd say I'll have to drink most of it because it's very hot.
              It's very important to drink plenty in this warm weather, dehydration is unpleasant and to be avoided. I think you should have a second bottle on standby.
              Hope Not Hate

Comment

Originally posted by ~Cat~
                It's very important to drink plenty in this warm weather, dehydration is unpleasant and to be avoided. I think you should have a second bottle on standby.

Thanks for the advice Cat; it's imperative to avoid dehydration, and water only works for some people[img]smileys/thumb-up.gif[/img]

Comment

Getting ready for an oul' BBQ before the match this evening.

All are welcome.

I live in the Outer Hebrides.

Bring your drink and leave the sheep alone.

Menu: lamb, lamb and more lamb.

Comment

Adding to the list above.

It's a beautiful evening here in Kildare. Sun beating into back garden so the cobwebs were brushed off the bbq! I'm just after having a striploin steak, marinated in Terryaki sauce with chopped chilli, salt and pepper. 2 minutes each side on a piping hot bbq.

Put onions and mushrooms onto some tinfoil and does them in a bit of salt and pepper. Pour a some beer onto them and lash onto the bbq. They'll simmer for 4 minutes!

Put the whole shebang onto a plate with some french sticks and eat. Refuel with 2 bottles of cold beer.

There is only one word for it. Stunning.

Match now on. Perfect summer evening!!

It happened, and I was there.
                    4.48pm, Saturday 20th May 2006.
                    What does grease taste like? Is it like chicken?

Comment

Thought I'd get the barbecue theme going again. It's nearly that season again.

I'm going to have few friends over for the match and was thinking of firing up the coals. My
                      problem is with the steaks - they never seem to come out right. I use charcoal and am
                      generally fairly handy with this cooking method but I consistently make an anabolics of the
                      steaks. I can cook chicken, burgers and they turn out fine but the steaks... Should I marinate
                      them before hand and what is the best cut for the BBQ? Should I use thicker or thinner
                      steaks?

Simba might know as she is the resident culinary expert on MF.

Help!

Comment

I'm going to have few friends over for the match and was thinking of firing up the coals. My

problem is with the steaks - they never seem to come out right. I use charcoal and am

generally fairly handy with this cooking method but I consistently make an anabolics of the

steaks. I can cook chicken, burgers and they turn out fine but the steaks... Should I marinate

them before hand and what is the best cut for the BBQ? Should I use thicker or thinner

steaks?

Help!
                        MARINATE, MARINATE, MARINATE!!! Had that same prob myself until I started marinating (and leave them for 15-30mins if you can). Made a big difference to how meat looked, also turn the heat right down.

Comment

Had my first barbecue of the season of St. Patricks day[img]smileys/biggrin.gif[/img]
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud
                            Had my first barbecue of the season of St. Patricks day
                            We had barbecued turkey on Christmas Day. I got a present of a turkey which required a
                            crane to hoist it into the kitchen. Too big for the oven but a perfect fit for the kettle BBQ. All
                            agreed that it was the nicest turkey we ever had. I cooked it using the indirect method and
                            it was indeed sumptuous if I say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by franman

I'm going to have few friends over for the match and was thinking of firing up the coals. My problem is with the steaks - they never seem to come out right. I use charcoal and am generally fairly handy with this cooking method but I consistently make an anabolics of the steaks. I can cook chicken, burgers and they turn out fine but the steaks... Should I marinate them before hand and what is the best cut for the BBQ? Should I use thicker or thinner steaks?

Help!
                              MARINATE, MARINATE, MARINATE!!! Had that same prob myself until I started marinating (and leave them for 15-30mins if you can). Made a big difference to how meat looked, also turn the heat right down.

And don't put the meat on, straight from the fridge. Give it a little time to relax.

Comment

Working...
                              X