US Presidential Election - Indecision 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Hmm. Xenephobic demagogue put into power by establishment figures who believed that they could control him. I'm sure that rings a bell......
    Hmmm. That Franz von Papen, that Paul von Hindenberg.....smart guys both.....:hadoken_reamke_by_b

Comment

Are we talking about Paul Murphy?
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
        Really recommend reading Joe Baigent, journalist from poor west Virginia stock, who saw through the way his people were conned into voting against their own interests - ''Deer Hunting for Jesus''.
        Sarah Kendzior's stuff is excellent as well!
        Dublin Northeast FF free since Feb 27th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
          I'll give that a read, thanks. I'm probably over stating - I know that there's a lot of very legitimate disaffection out there, and a degree of nihilism about telling the establishment to **** off. I just struggle to understand how so many people go out to vote for people who at best don't give a **** about them and at worst actively hate them.
          That's the conundrum, at least to people like myself who are so-called middle-class, tax-paying and always worried about everything. I do get the so-called anti-establishment element. That's always been there, but it's grown. I really believe that "social media" has allowed people, more and more, to filter out the stuff that they don't want to hear, and only tune into stuff that reinforces their beliefs. Bring along a demagogue like Trump who has put together a accidental coalition of displaced workers, anti-Clintonites, anti-liberals and that sizeable rump of people who falsely pine after about old times and believe anyone who promises to get it back for them, and, then, apparently surprisingly, he gets tipped over the line.

The anti-establishment thing isn't the surprise, it's more the confluence of events that added up to a majority of the quirk of an electoral college victory.

So why did people vote for him? I think of Col Jessop (Jack Nicholson) from A Few Good Men who claimed he did a job for Americans and they weren't fussy about how he did, so long as they could sleep tight at night. Well, Trump was able to laugh off all the despicable things that he said and did, and people just took what he offered. Strange, but it happened.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

So much of social media, this forum being a notable exception, is full of people preaching to the converted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	2492212
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I'd you haven't seen it, I would really recommend Hypernormalisation. I think it's still on the BBC iPlayer, but if not the usual online sources will have it.

It sets out in some detail as to why we are where we are now.

Edit: it's online

https://vimeo.com/191817381

Last edited by fitzy73; 13-January-2017, 14:15.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                  I'm not trying to have a go at you (or call you "stupid") but this is the kind of logic that keeps homeopaths in business. I took two drops of this stuff three times a day and my cold went away within a couple of days, therefore my personal experience tells me that this stuff gets rid of colds.
                  He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

https://twitter.com/colinjones/statu...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

I can't embed tweets but this is just excellent.

****ed.
                    "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

"Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Lot people heading to DC next wknd all the same
                        https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.03b4d5232c82

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          I have spoken to medical professionals who have profound misgivings about vaccinations. They will articulate these privately but wouldn't dare stick their heads above the professional parapet because they would be vilified by the conventionally wise, even though that wisdom is only based on a theory that has yet to be disproved. Being pressured into giving perfectly healthy children flu jabs is an example of this madness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Jesus Christ...

You do know what scientific theory means? I'll be waiting for the germ theory of disease and vaccines to be disproved, just after Gravity and Evolution.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by Jackie Brown; 13-January-2017, 15:50.
                          Commemorate Nevin Spence here -
                          http://www.mycharity.ie/event/munste..._nevin_spence/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
                            Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
                            Lads - can you take this vaccine argument to another thread please?
                            "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                            Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

he brought (fake) paperwork for all too see all the work hes (not) doing handing over his business to his sons

its like feckin pantomime

Click image for larger version

Name:	50b799be59cf4cf9b9b4e1341462428c-2c9f166e5c3f49d3b770836d5893c7de-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2492219
                              "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

It's all about 'soft sensuality' next Friday apparently. Then he's taking the weekend off.
                                The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Working...
                                X