The Social Media Backlash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Social Media Backlash?

I'm noticing a trend in recent months where commentators are coming out, on old media admittedly, against the vitriol/public shaming/threats that are becoming more and more commonplace on social media. Social media has given a voice to all, including a lot of people that would never have had a voice previously. It has empowered a significant number of people from differing socio-economic backgrounds.

Having read Jon Ronson's "So, You've Been Publicly Shamed" (interview with Jon Stewart) I'm hardening my attitude to the sue of twitter/facebook etc. It's particularly noticeable on the Anti-Water Charges social media platforms, where people are actively encourage politicians to be physically assaulted, applauding the assault of Gardai and threatening them (There's the Garda Ombudsman for those that claim they've been assaulted by Gardai, if they want) and the rise of militant nationalistic rhetoric.

Charlie Brooker gave us a chilling view of a Dystopian future where social media evolves into an all-encompassing entity.

There are many many positives for social media but is it a case the negatives are vastly outweighing the positives or is that the negatives are prevalent that the positives are lost? Social media is here to stay (unfortunately in the view of some) but should it be just regulated/policed by the online community? There has been many case where social media comments have landed many high profile and not so high profile people in front of the beak.
    Last edited by The Word Is Born; 27th-March-2015, 12:01.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

i was discussing this the other day. i almost never comment on anything topical publicly on social media. Ill like a post or tweet maybe, and I chat to friends and family on stuff shared, but I just could not be arsed giving my view on a news item and get dragged into a discussion with idiots whose debating technique is to call everyone a f-ing scumbag at every opportunity.

A lot of whats out there is just vile. Language and insults used that I suspect most of these keyboard gibbons would not use in person seem to be completely acceptable to them when they wont get a punch in the mouth in return.

Add to that the mob mentality with threats to girlfriends of pop stars, the guy clarkson was sacked over and family related to the airline pilot and the whole digital world just shows the worst side of people.

I was discussing munsterfans with someone recently and they said "a forum? is that not a bit old fashioned now?". I much prefer forums still. For the most part moderated well and somewhere i can have a reasonable discussion with others who may not be like minded but generally have some level of boundaries and manners. not always, but bad manners here is a long way off the nasty stuff elsewhere
    "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I've read some comments on youtube videos. Some really nasty stuff there.
      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Youtube is full on bat**** crazy but I'm not sure the comments there have the same reach as Twitter/Facebook etc.
        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
          Youtube is full on bat**** crazy but I'm not sure the comments there have the same reach as Twitter/Facebook etc.
          Agreed.

Twitter is the one that confuses me. People say offensive/abusive things there openly, hoping that it'll go viral, but reverse at massive speed when the comment causes a furore.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Most people in the old media, myself included, can't understand why the laws of publishing don't appear to apply.

In newspapers, if you 'shame' someone, even if what you say is true, you can be sued. To get to court you have to pony up around €80,000 up front before your brief will say hello to you or the court will put the kettle on. You're then told you'll ptpbably get done and for a figure you can't ever remember hearing before and you're advised to settle out of court for an undisclosed sum. The newspaper retailer, printer, publisher, editor and author are all open to legal action.
            So if the plaintiffs don't bankrupt you m'learned spongers will (sue me).

Yet it seems I can dis anyone on social media and the platform, ISPs and software developers who enabled the comment are all immune from legal action.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Working...
            X