Gay cakes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gay cakes

Not sure if this discussed on another thread, if it is mods move it.
    ive been reading about the gay cake case in norn iron, and am thinking PC and trying to force people to go against their deeply held beliefs is anathema.
    the case centers on a baker who refused to create a cake that was to state ' support gay marriage' and the customers case against them for discrimination.
    So, was the baker right or wrong, should he have sacrificed his strongly held belief against gay marriage just to satisfy 1 customer.
    I think this is just a case of an individual trying it on, at every turn people with strongly held religious and conservative beliefs are attacked.
    i support gay marriage, my credo is if you're not harming me through your race religion or sexual persuasion then off you go.
    I do take issue with groups and individuals who believe it is their right to make me conform through pressure to their tenets or credo. In this case it's homonazis, ( just like feminazis but male)
    the baker took the order and after consideration turned it down because as a deeply committed Christian he felt it was not right for him to do it.
    Fair play to him, he stuck by his convictions and is now being penalized for them.
    i am an atheist, a supporter of gay rights, but believe he had every right to follow his Christian conscience, if the aggrieved individual didn't like it they could have always gone some place else for it instead of launching a case for discrimination. It a sad world we live in.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

It's my sacredly held belief that women should only be allowed in the clubhouse for lunch and afternoon tea. Praise be to Titleist.
    It's my sacredly held belief that black people should be at the back of the bus. Praise be to Ping.
    It's my sacredly held belief that them homos should be locked up for sodomy. Praise be to Big Bertha.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

"Hi there, just checking in. Here's our booking reference."
      "Oh I'm sorry sir, we seem to have booked a double room instead of a twin room for you and your friend."
      "No it's fine, we're partners. In fact we're just on the home leg from our honeymoon, we were finally able to get married there recently."
      "Oh, I see. In that case I'm afraid we can't let you stay here - your type of relationship is against our deeply-held religious beliefs. There are plenty of other guesthouses in the area where I'm sure you'll be able to find a place to stay."

"Hi there, I'd like to order a birthday cake for my partner. Can you put this photo of him on it in icing please?"
      "Certainly, madam - oh."
      "Is there a problem?"
      "It's just that your partner looks a bit suntanned for an Irish person, if you know what I mean."
      "No, I don't."
      "Well I've always thought that people should stick with their own kind. I mean the kids won't know whether they're from here, there or anywhere. There's no way I'll be making a cake for someone like that. It just goes against my beliefs. You can always try somewhere else."
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
        at every turn people with strongly held religious and conservative beliefs are attacked.
        No they bloody well do not. They get an easier run at it than anybody else.

Comment

This thread is liable to go in any direction. It's up there with Fitzy and men with no pubes.

A Chinese firework set off inside a barrel.
          I am the million man.

Comment

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              This thread is liable to go in any direction. It's up there with Fitzy and men with no pubes.

A Chinese firework set off inside a barrel.
              No, I have a good feeling about this one. In fact I've never been more certain about anything in my life
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

**** that. Someone could literally use the bible to justify any discrimination they felt like. If people want to run a service as part of a normal economy and society then they should leave their backward predjuces at home.
                "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

I understand where your coming from and I initially thought myself was it a bit much. But chips examples illustrate my end point. If you are open for business then there comes a point you need to be pragmatic about where your beliefs have to get left at the door. Granted there are businesses that are hard to draw a line on. I don't expect Catholic book stores to sell playboy but a baker is a baker.
                  "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                    Not sure if this discussed on another thread, if it is mods move it.
                    ive been reading about the gay cake case in norn iron, and am thinking PC and trying to force people to go against their deeply held beliefs is anathema.
                    the case centers on a baker who refused to create a cake that was to state ' support gay marriage' and the customers case against them for discrimination.
                    So, was the baker right or wrong, should he have sacrificed his strongly held belief against gay marriage just to satisfy 1 customer.
                    I think this is just a case of an individual trying it on, at every turn people with strongly held religious and conservative beliefs are attacked.
                    i support gay marriage, my credo is if you're not harming me through your race religion or sexual persuasion then off you go.
                    I do take issue with groups and individuals who believe it is their right to make me conform through pressure to their tenets or credo. In this case it's homonazis, ( just like feminazis but male)
                    the baker took the order and after consideration turned it down because as a deeply committed Christian he felt it was not right for him to do it.
                    Fair play to him, he stuck by his convictions and is now being penalized for them.
                    i am an atheist, a supporter of gay rights, but believe he had every right to follow his Christian conscience, if the aggrieved individual didn't like it they could have always gone some place else for it instead of launching a case for discrimination. It a sad world we live in.

That's like saying, fair play to the KKK, they stuck by their convictions!

How the **** if 2 gay people want to get married, does it effect those of us who are not gay? It doesn't. In any way at all!!! In fact, it shouldn't be any of our business.

Comment

Nobody is asking him to marry a guy, he's a job to do, what it's for is none of his business. His personal beliefs shouldn't come into it.

He's entitled to his beliefs, just like anyone else, and inside your four walls of your house, you're entitled to them. When you're dealing with the public at work, you're not. I mean I believe that 90% of the customers I deal with at work are complete idiots, but I smile and nod and yes sir, no sir, that's problem..because I'm at work.
                      Last edited by Stringer9; 26th-March-2015, 20:28.
                      The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

They should have ordered Fairy Cakes.

Coat
                        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

You can almost hear his regular customers from here telling him how "right" he was. Probably the busiest bakery in town right now. Hope he chokes on his own muffins.
                          So I walked as day was dawning
                          Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
                          Where we once watched the row boats landing
                          By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

It doesn't matter a jot what his sacred long held beliefs are....

What matters is if he is allowed or not allowed to discriminate against persons of his choosing based on their sexuality.

Laws such as the equal status act say that he cannot (as per the Lawyers argument in Court) and in my opinion no modern progressive society should countenance it either.

You cannot justify discrimination against persons based upon their sexual orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                              It doesn't matter a jot what his sacred long held beliefs are....

What matters is if he is allowed or not allowed to discriminate against persons of his choosing based on their sexuality.

Laws such as the equal status act say that he cannot (as per the Lawyers argument in Court) and in my opinion no modern progressive society should countenance it either.

You cannot justify discrimination against persons based upon their sexual orientation.
                              As a wise man once said: No Fat Chicks
                              I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                              X