Car Rental France

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Rental France

Just wondering can anyone recommend a good company to deal with and what are the best options to take re fuel policy and is it worth taking out the excess cover they offer

thanks

Originally posted by rua13 View Post
    Just wondering can anyone recommend a good company to deal with and what are the best options to take re fuel policy and is it worth taking out the excess cover they offer

thanks
    re fuel option is expensive. if you have sat nav, ask it where closest one is...before you leave airport. we were directed to some that hadn't been open in years. Unless you have German breeding and you push your car into returns with a bled dry tank then refill uoursrlf and keep receipt. excess insurance still won't cover tyres and windscreen. ahem. less said the better.
    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

I wouldn't let boo-boo parallel park the rental anyway.
      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Get excess insurance but not from the car hire company. If you hire a car several times a year use someone like www.insurance4carhire.com and get an annual policy.

You could also use www.aig.ie who provide both single trip and annual policies. Both will provide cover for wheel damage, undercarriage etc which is normally excluded on policies provided by car hire companies. In addition the above alternatives are far cheaper than the car hire company offerings.

As regards hiring a car I have got some good deals from Avis in France.
        Last edited by glorob; 19th-March-2015, 18:00.

Comment

We used Avis too. You can always make a reservation then walk up on arrivals and let rivals bid for the business. if it's not better than your rsservation price just priduce yoyr reservation.

Comment

Michelin tyre centre somewhere in France.

Driver: Hi we've got a flat tyre.

Tyre Fitter: Oui. C'est fooked. Le sidewall - c'est fini. Nous avons Michelin GPXPYQz @ €140.

Driver: That's very pricey.

T.F. : Vous voulez un pneu moins cher?

Me: Oui. Le Chinese ditch finder s'il vous plait.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by rua13 View Post

thanks
              Car Hire:
              I use Skyscanner mainly as I find they pull through lowest prices or
              http://www.travelsupermarket.com/c/cheap-car-hire/

Most Search Engines use Multinationals or large local firms anyway. Nowadays you'd have to go completely 'Off Reservation' to find a cowboy company....

Always take 'Return Full' option where possible, least hassle possible. Don't fill when returning at Motorway Services or at Airport very expensive fuel, local town stations & larger Supermarche can be 15/20c cheaper per Litre fill the car en route and then top up near Airport.

If you rent cars in Europe more than 14 days per year, get Insurance Excess cover before you book your car. Excess through Car Rental firms is extortionate, and 99/100 unnecessary..... (saying that always check cover offered and T&C's...&#128527.

I use www.iCarhireinsurance.com and it's less than £50 per year for whole of Europe..

Wonderful driving country is France, but I live in SE UK so everywhere is a wonderful driving experience by comparison...😁

Comment

Thanks a million, went with hertz, seemed to be one of the few doing the full to full fuel policy

Comment

No bother, yeah Hertz are a safe option and at the right time of year you can get a decent deal with them...

To be honest the other refill options are only a minor inconvenience, but tends to indicate a smaller operation without refuelling facilities.....

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                    Get excess insurance but not from the car hire company. If you hire a car several times a year use someone like and get an annual policy.

You could also use who provide both single trip and annual policies. Both will provide cover for wheel damage, undercarriage etc which is normally excluded on policies provided by car hire companies. In addition the above alternatives are far cheaper than the car hire company offerings.

As regards hiring a car in new zealand I have got some good deals from Avis in France.
                    Hi glorob
                    Can you PM me the whole details of insurance policy provided by the companies as you recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by glorob View Post
                      Get excess insurance but not from the car hire company. If you hire a car several times a year use someone like www.insurance4carhire.com and get an annual policy.

While that is cheaper...it may be harder or take longer to get a pay out if anything happens. I always take max insurance from the car hire company and I was reversed into someone in car park last year in France..it was hassle free after we filled out the accident report. Didn't cost a thing.

We used Avis and they were great to deal with. However

Beware of French Speeding Radars..I tried really hard to keep to the limit but got caught once in the two weeks. I received a letter from Avis saying they would charge my card as per agreement...fair enough and they did charge it but I received a bill from the French Authorities..same incident number. I wrote back telling them Avid had paid it and supplied copies....I got a letter back saying my appeal was rejected as the payment wasn't made...I am currently awaiting a response from Avis.

So far I'd still recommend them.

Comment

You can get insurance for €50 on https://www.blueinsurance.ie/car-hir...-insurance.asp

The amount of money that car hire companies make from insurance is shocking. On an average 10 day trip to Portugal, it would double, or triple my car hire cost.

The disadvantage of using the policy above is that you'll need a large deposit (usually around €1,500) to leave with car hire company. If anyting happens, the money is taken out of that. You then claim against your insurance.

It happened to me a few years ago in Ireland, and took about 3 months before I had a payout of the €800 odd the car hire company took out.

Finally Ireland is fine for car hire, but on the continent - primarily Spain and Portugal - there are more cowboys than at a rodeo convention. Always take photos of every part of the car before you drive away and arrive at least 3 hours before your flight when returning.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I got fleeced by Budget car rental at Napoli airport last Summer. Hit me for tiny scratch on car, 459 euro, on a previously scratched car. I had taken photos on renting it and was able to refute all but one scratch. Bast***s.

I did have excess insurance taken separately so got it back eventually.

I was also hit 3 months later with 80 euro fine for not paying a toll. I don't think I missed any tolls during the holiday as did little driving, but they automatically took it from my credit card and haven't responded to numerous requests for specific details.

Avoid them like the plague
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Just rented a car for a trip to Spain next month. Very good value - c. €35 incl. excess ins. cover for 4 days.
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                              Just rented a car for a trip to Spain next month. Very good value - c. €35 incl. excess ins. cover for 4 days.
                              mind the tyres

Comment

Working...
                              X