Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the people of Askeaton poisoned by Fluoride?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were the people of Askeaton poisoned by Fluoride?

I don't know the answer, but what I do know is the levels of cancer in West Limerick are astronomical - far, far higher than the national average.

http://www.hotpress.com/politics/fro.../10289892.html
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

And everyone suspected to the point of being certain that the report was falsified at the time. When was that article published? Have you seen this in mainstream press recently? I wonder will this peer review exercise bring anything to light...to account...

Comment

A giant factory nearby askeaton immediately springs to mind......
      I am the million man.

Comment

There's been some research done recently in the UK that casts doubt on the safety of drinking water when fluoride is present in amounts previously thought to be unharmful. God knows what the craic is here but I'd rather drink my own piss than what comes out of an Irish tap.
        So I walked as day was dawning
        Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
        Where we once watched the row boats landing
        By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

We drank water from Bleach Lough, near Dromore lake but recently that water supply has been switched to the Deel, same source as Askeaton. I'd assume same treatment plant too.

Comment

Didn't a ridiculous number of farm animals die a number of years ago but the epa tried to pass it off as poor farming practices?

this is from 2001.

http://www.independent.ie/business/f...-26063819.html

Peter Dargan of the CAI, proposing the theory, said that opportunistic infection because of depressed immunity in the animals, due to mineral imbalance which was most likely caused by athmospheric pollution, resulted in the deaths of animals in West Limerick in the late eighties/early nineties.
            At the launch of its review of the £4.2m EPA Askeaton report published in August, the Consumers Association described the conclusions of the EPA report as "flawed" and called for a new review of the data collected during the course of the inquiry by an independent international body.
            The association suggests this could result in an entirely different set of conclusions.
            The EPA report failed to come up with a definite explanation for the animal deaths but cited poor farming practices as a contributory cause.
            Everyone agreed that the animals had mineral deficiencies, according to Peter Dargan, but he said it is unacceptable to blame this on the farmers.
            "I have been in general practice (as a vet) for 25 years and I have never experienced the types of symptoms encountered here," he said.
            "Pollution did not cause the disease but it did indirectly," he suggested.

Comment

I dont know about Askeaton, im not too familiar with the details but please lets not raise the whole Flouride in drinking water isnt safe argument. I've argued it over and over again with folk down this direction (West Cork). The VAST majority of studies worldwide by many many many agencies, government and independent, atest to the safety. It can be a problem where natural occuring flouride levels are high but this is not the case here in Ireland. If it was having a detrimental effect we would be seeing the signs of it medically and in the dental field, we are not.
              There Rice krispie cakes not buns

Comment

In fairness Kermit, it's hard to go back to the top of the page only to catch sight of that fat clown rubbing his chest. Have some mercy.
                If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Everyone?
                  Read it on my phone and can't see a date. Is the OP'd article dated?

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                    I see no one has bothered to read the original article before replying...
                    Too busy juggling with our oranges.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by No. 16 View Post
                      Everyone?
                      Read it on my phone and can't see a date. Is the OP'd article dated?
                      October 2013
                      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                        I see no one has bothered to read the original article before replying...
                        I have read the article and I found one glaring error.

Ms Murphy quotes Waugh as saying

“It must be assumed, therefore that the significantly higher concentrations of fluoride measured in soils in 1979, indicates either a high clay fraction in the soil or Industrial fluoride pollution from the Moneypoint coal-fired power station, which has operated since 1954”

I think we all can agree that this is wrong.

Of course, Tarbert has been in operation since the late 60's, predating the 1979 samples but that's an oil-fired Station.

I haven't been able to find Waugh's paper, which I think should also be read before further comment is made.

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                          Didn't a ridiculous number of farm animals die a number of years ago but the epa tried to pass it off as poor farming practices?

this is from 2001.

http://www.independent.ie/business/f...-26063819.html

Peter Dargan of the CAI, proposing the theory, said that opportunistic infection because of depressed immunity in the animals, due to mineral imbalance which was most likely caused by athmospheric pollution, resulted in the deaths of animals in West Limerick in the late eighties/early nineties.
                          At the launch of its review of the £4.2m EPA Askeaton report published in August, the Consumers Association described the conclusions of the EPA report as "flawed" and called for a new review of the data collected during the course of the inquiry by an independent international body.
                          The association suggests this could result in an entirely different set of conclusions.
                          The EPA report failed to come up with a definite explanation for the animal deaths but cited poor farming practices as a contributory cause.
                          Everyone agreed that the animals had mineral deficiencies, according to Peter Dargan, but he said it is unacceptable to blame this on the farmers.
                          "I have been in general practice (as a vet) for 25 years and I have never experienced the types of symptoms encountered here," he said.
                          "Pollution did not cause the disease but it did indirectly," he suggested.
                          A sad and bad reflection on EPA. The farmer in this case was entirely blameless.
                          Mumha Abu

Comment

Originally posted by Redhead View Post
                            I dont know about Askeaton, im not too familiar with the details but please lets not raise the whole Flouride in drinking water isnt safe argument. I've argued it over and over again with folk down this direction (West Cork). The VAST majority of studies worldwide by many many many agencies, government and independent, atest to the safety. It can be a problem where natural occuring flouride levels are high but this is not the case here in Ireland. If it was having a detrimental effect we would be seeing the signs of it medically and in the dental field, we are not.
                            Although this is nearly thoroughly off topic - Why is Ireland the only country in the EU that puts flouride in water? Why does it need to be put in water? Who in Ireland (except perhaps the homeless) does not use flouride toothpaste these days? Or at least scrub their teeth enough that the flouride in the water makes no difference??? Also, I remain unconvinced it is safe based on the other evidence. Have you conducted an extensive review and analysis of the extant literature yourself? I haven't, but I wonder upon what evidence you base your claim?

http://www.hotpress.com/features/rep...e/9609873.html

Appraisal of the Declan Waugh report on water fluoridation

http://www.fluoridesandhealth.ie/dow...t_May_2012.pdf

http://www.hotpress.com/politics/fro.../10441992.html

http://www.hotpress.com/features/rep...-/9632735.html

http://www.hotpress.com/features/rep...e/9609873.html

Comment

This crowd went to some lengths to dismiss Mr Waugh http://www.fluoridesandhealth.ie/dow...t_May_2012.pdf

Never heard of this state organisation before, are they still in existance

Comment

Working...
                              X