Solar eclipse Friday 20 March 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar eclipse Friday 20 March 2015

Thought this might merit its own thread rather than be a mere footnote to the Astronomy thread. Must admit that with life being full of "interesting times" recently, this had sort of passed me by until now - but I love this sort of stuff, and in fact travelled to Germany to see the totality back in 1999. Sadly we missed the corona effect by a few minutes due to cloudy skies , so I'm looking forward to seeing if we'll experience a few minutes of near darkness at 9.30 this coming Friday morning. If you want complete darkness you'll have to go to Svalbard or the Faroe Islands, but it seems that at our latitude (north-eastern corner of the island) we're still due to have something like 80% of the totality. So it's possible we might well still experience the "dimmer switch" effect and the sudden silence of birds, which was something that was really striking sixteen years ago.

Anyone else preparing for it or looking forward to it?
    Tis but a scratch.

Yeah looking forward to it a once in a lifetime experience.
    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Wow!!

cheers chippy, this is very exciting!
      I am the million man.

Comment

I'm planning to head over to Fair Head or possibly Torr Head / Murlough Bay. None of my usual Friday morning commitments need apply! Can't get any further north unless I head over to Donegal (or Rathlin) but I know where I'm going in case of an excess of eclipse-related traffic.

Edit - for anyone who isn't aware, it is dangerous to look directly at a partial or even total eclipse for more than a second or so. You risk causing permanent damage to your eyes!! Either get the proper glasses (i.e. not just a pair of polaroids) or use a projection.
        Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
          This is at least the second one in my lifetime and I'm a lot younger than you [emoji12]
          It's not Friday yet frog be careful.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

I remember people looking at it through tayto bags the last time The bird thing was freaky alright. I suppose the relugious nuts have a theory.
            Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

I am on my workl computer and the fun police here seemed to have stopped the image here of the eclipse path...
              can anyone paste it up for me..?

http://www.solareclipse2015.org.uk/the-eclipse-path/
              He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	totality-map.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2485173

Comment

Comment

we're all dead. dead I tells ya.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-10114298.html

Solar eclipse will be the beginning of the end of the world, say Christian pastors

Comment

Where's Harry?

Comment

booboo i was just thinking about that add yesterday
                        "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Here's a handy website showing what it'll look like in your neck of the woods.

http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/ireland/limerick

Comment

Any suggestions for high ground near Douglas if it's foggy tomorrow?

straight up marybrough hill and find somewhere to pull in maybe?
                            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Hurry up eclipse FFS. I'm here with a dangerous tribe, trying to convince them of my power over Agoro (the Sun God) and it hasn't even gotten slightly dark yet

I'll be in a cooking pot soon if it doesn't start darkening.......
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Working...
                              X