100 years on 1916

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100 years on 1916

So how do posters feel about the upcoming centenary, should it be a time of reflective commemoration or a whole hearted celebration. I think it should be both but more inclined to the latter, as a nation we should celebrate and reclaim our replublic and the events of Easter week from those who claim to have moral ascendency to its memory.
    The proclamation should be looked on as a document of aspration, we still have a long way to go to meet its ideals, but hopefully someday. It should be hung on every wall in every home and public office, giant images of it should be projected on to public spaces, people should connect with it and take pride in their Irishness.

It was for its time a revolutionary document with callls for universal suffrage, equality, non sectarianism ( mcdonagh and Clark) despite the calls for blood sacrifice ( Pearse).
    we should not be ashamed of Easter 1916 despite the jibes of stabbing perfidious Albion in the back, we have remember, they had their boot on our necks for 300 years and without Easter conscription would probably have been introduced and the death toll of Irish men and Women in the war for the "rights of small nations" would have been far higher. I have family buried at the Somme and in Flanders, and I respect and cherish their memory.

I am a republican, I believe in the Irish Republic even with it flaws and foibles, I am proud to serve it in my work.

I am not a supporter of the PIRA or its off shoots. I do not believe in Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael or politicians who have through their greed and hunger for power nearly brought the republic to ruin.

I believe in my right as an irish person to celebrate my history, culture and heritage.

I would like to see a celebration of everything Irish and show the world that like the US and French celebrations of 1776 & 1789 and throwing off the yokes of imperialistic monarchy's we have something to be proud of.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

What's there to celebrate, it achieved virtually nothing and heralded the beginning of Rome Rule and a period of severe economic stagnation that made us look like North Korea compared to our nearest neighbours.
    We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
    Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Could we just fast forward to 2017?
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Anything that sees the back of the Brits is a good thing regardless of the hurdles and stumbles.

Comment

Originally posted by cuneiform View Post
          Anything that sees the back of the Brits is a good thing regardless of the hurdles and stumbles.
          Elaborate please.

Comment

It achieved for us the right to self determination for ourselves, the fact that we ****ed it up for 90 years is down to ourselves, at least we had the right to **** it up ourselves.
            In hindsight,biggest mistake the British made was Not executing Dev, this would have done us a favour.
            No matter your feelings, it is a historic moment in Irish History and as such should be remembered.
            question for ye; what's you preference, to be called Irish or Dya want to be British?

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
              What's there to celebrate, it achieved virtually nothing and heralded the beginning of Rome Rule and a period of severe economic stagnation that made us look like North Korea compared to our nearest neighbours.
              I agree - kindof. But if you look at the period from the 1913 Lock Out to the end of the War of Independence as a time of revolution and and liberation, the Limerick Soviet the red flag over Dromkeen Creamery, it was a time of great hope.

The Proclamation captures some of that as does the Democratic Programme of the First Dail, Our scared little country fearful of everything and trusting in nothing could do well to remember that once upon a time we had dreams about being a better society.

I think partition, the Treaty, and the civil war killed that off and Dev presided over the funeral.
              Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Elaborate please.
                Do you live in the UK Mack?

Comment

Originally posted by cuneiform View Post
                  Do you live in the UK Mack?
                  No I live in german Lander called Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                    It achieved for us the right to self determination for ourselves, the fact that we ****ed it up for 90 years is down to ourselves, at least we had the right to **** it up ourselves.
                    In hindsight,biggest mistake the British made was Not executing Dev, this would have done us a favour.
                    No matter your feelings, it is a historic moment in Irish History and as such should be remembered.
                    question for ye; what's you preference, to be called Irish or Dya want to be British?
                    Can I be both ? Self determination is now a fantasy but I agree about Dev.

Comment

Can I be both ? Self determination is now a fantasy but I agree about Dev.
                      No, irish by birth, munster by the grace of God, and not like you to sit on the fence����

Comment

No I live in german Lander called Ireland.
                        Can you develop, please? As german firendly (My wife is german, and my children have dual nationality) this point of view interests me a lot.
                        "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
                          Can you develop, please? As german firendly (My wife is german, and my children have dual nationality) this point of view interests me a lot.
                          We've lost our sovereignty. Out national parliment has very little power. The German Bundestag effectively is running our country.
                          We are now just a province or Lander of Germany. An EU exit may not be such a bad thing.

Comment

Whatever is arranged for this it will be nauseating. The craven Irish politicians of today will be going on about the brave men of 1916 and the hope it generated and how it led to sovereignty for 26 counties of Ireland. Obviously they won't labour the last bit.

Comment

I disagree that it achieved nothing. It wasn't just the kick off for our own war of independence, but a first step in a process that would continue for another 60 years as the British Empire came apart.

The assertion of the rights of a people to decide their own future - for better or for worse - remains laudable in my view.

The British Empire of that era was an entity worth fighting.
                              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Working...
                              X