X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acskerries
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

Maybe you should think a little more about how "others" might perceive what for you is only a laugh?

Somebody who sees "outrage" when somebody simply points out that something could be hurtful sounds like projecting on to others their own preoccupations
    Clearly this discussion is going nowhere but a simple question - if that appeared on the Irish Times or the Sun as a cartoon would it be "funny"?
    I'd agree on this, posters on this site do not have a standard sense of humour. For instance, I now avoid looking at the Pictures thread, due to the frequency of posting very sexist or stereotypical pictures and tropes of women which cause me considerable annoyance and even offence. Rather than complain to Stanley or others every time they post one that they may find amusing, I minimise my irritation by avoidance, whether or not that's the best approach.

Leave a comment:

• Sulla
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
    Pathetic sense of entitlement by leo and simple simon. Yet another complete waste of taxpayers money..

https://extra.ie/2020/07/05/news/pol...keep-state-car

Tanaiste Leo Varadkar held a farewell party at the Steward’s Lodge in Farmleigh on Friday evening – as members of his own party questioned his seeming ‘addiction to the trappings of power’.

The revelations come after the news that Mr Varadkar is to retain an aide-decamp – an Army officer who can represent the Dublin West TD at events – and anger at reports that former tanaiste Simon Coveney was seeking to retain his previous right to a Garda driver – a privilege dropped for all but three members of cabinet in 2011.
    Considering the show put on by SF/IRA the other weekend I do think it's only right that Minster of Defence & Foreign Affairs of our State has some official protection as he traverses the whole of the island.

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
    Pathetic sense of entitlement by leo and simple simon. Yet another complete waste of taxpayers money..

Tanaiste Leo Varadkar held a farewell party at the Steward’s Lodge in Farmleigh on Friday evening – as members of his own party questioned his seeming ‘addiction to the trappings of power’.

The revelations come after the news that Mr Varadkar is to retain an aide-decamp – an Army officer who can represent the Dublin West TD at events – and anger at reports that former tanaiste Simon Coveney was seeking to retain his previous right to a Garda driver – a privilege dropped for all but three members of cabinet in 2011.
    Oh thanks for that, the link gave me a giggle, some parts of it are pure Waterford Whispers. Brightened my morning no end...

‘I don’t think the guidelines on having no more than 50 people at an indoor function was broken, but there were a lot of cars parked outside and there were taxis dropping people off. The people looked like their pub mates and not like people who work in Government.’

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Viigand
    replied
    Stereotypes make for great comedy. Basil Fawlty being a prime example.

Leave a comment:

• Jenta
    replied
    It's a gay stereotype. Stereotypes just don't make for good comedy. It's punching down. It's the same for all other "jews are tight", "blacks are thick" Roy Chubby Brown type material, spectacularly unfunny.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied

Maybe you should think a little more about how "others" might perceive what for you is only a laugh?

Somebody who sees "outrage" when somebody simply points out that something could be hurtful sounds like projecting on to others their own preoccupations
    Clearly this discussion is going nowhere but a simple question - if that appeared on the Irish Times or the Sun as a cartoon would it be "funny"?

It would be a cracker.

Leave a comment:

• munstershane
    replied

hillarious

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley View Post

I think it "matters" that we can laugh at an obvious photo-shopped pic for what it is without an atmosphere of hate and discrimination or reinforcing stereotypes, it does sound like everything you do or see leaves a strong mark on you, lighten up lad, otherwise you will be weighed down by outrage.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied

I would never assume or think that.

But, I think posts like that reinforce stereotypes and contribute to an atmosphere of hate and discrimination
    I think it "matters" that we can laugh at an obvious photo-shopped pic for what it is without an atmosphere of hate and discrimination or reinforcing stereotypes, it does sound like everything you do or see leaves a strong mark on you, lighten up lad, otherwise you will be weighed down by outrage.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    As in you think someone hates the gay community because they posted that? I find that hard to believe.
    I would never assume or think that.

But, I think posts like that reinforce stereotypes and contribute to an atmosphere of hate and discrimination

Leave a comment:

• Viigand
    replied
    As in you think someone hates the gay community because they posted that? I find that hard to believe.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by desert man View Post
    I thought it was funny and I'd be a fan of Leo. Just curious, offensive how? On behalf of who?
    Maybe it's in the eye of the beholder but to me it's a tired homophobic stereotype. I agree that there may be a fine line buts it's not funny either so it's easy for me to say it's offensive

Leave a comment:

• desert man
    replied
    I thought it was funny and I'd be a fan of Leo. Just curious, offensive how? On behalf of who?

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    I didn't find it funny
    And I suspect we have very different definitions of "sheltered"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X