Fine Gael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Well you see, this is in response to our resident shinnerbot who spouts non-stop propaganda but when it gets thrown back at him that his own beloved mass-murdering scumbags are every bit as bad, he's nowhere to be seen.
    I think in fairness the Major tends to post stuff that's hostile to Fine Gael (and more recently Fianna Fáil), rather than pro Sinn Féin stuff. It is true that he doesn't take criticism of SF well, to put it mildly, but that tends to be overly simplistic on here, which does diminish the quality of discussion somewhat.
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

I think in fairness the Major tends to post stuff that's hostile to Fine Gael (and more recently Fianna Fáil), rather than pro Sinn Féin stuff. It is true that he doesn't take criticism of SF well, to put it mildly, but that tends to be overly simplistic on here, which does diminish the quality of discussion somewhat.
      I suspect my political views are in a minority here, but as Chips implies the virtue of a forum like this is that many post thoughtful posts, the Major included. We share a love of Munster rugby, the fact that we have different views on other matters, is welcome, and for me fundamental about what rugby is about.

Comment

The way this gov is shaking out I think you could see Leo back as taoiseach by pissmas
        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post

Pretty much everything I post is a summary of whats reported in a reasonably respected national newspaper - the Irish Times. Probably the last reasonably respected national newspaper we have. I do despise FG's main policies as they've intentionally made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and the health service, housing and homelessness worse.

After a century of FG & FF rule it is really is time for a change. It is not good practice or good governance to allow the same community or club committee continue for more than 5 years. So why on earth do we allow the same political parties to control things for a hundred years?
          You also have the incredible situation where FF and especially FG are totally against reunification of this country as it would relegate them to the opposition benches for at least a term or 2. And yet meehole and varadkar preach about pulling on the green jersey..

Comment

Originally posted by Major TNT View Post

Pretty much everything I post is a summary of whats reported in a reasonably respected national newspaper - the Irish Times. Probably the last reasonably respected national newspaper we have. I do despise FG's main policies as they've intentionally made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and the health service, housing and homelessness worse.

After a century of FG & FF rule it is really is time for a change. It is not good practice or good governance to allow the same community or club committee continue for more than 5 years. So why on earth do we allow the same political parties to control things for a hundred years?
            You also have the incredible situation where FF and especially FG are totally against reunification of this country as it would relegate them to the opposition benches for at least a term or 2. And yet meehole and varadkar preach about pulling on the green jersey..

We simply cannot afford the North regardless of how generous BoJo might well be, to offload it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

We simply cannot afford the North regardless of how generous BoJo might well be, to offload it.
              Fortunately your assessment is not backed by the research.

Comment

Originally posted by desert man View Post

Fortunately your assessment is not backed by the research.
                what research?
                Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

what research?
                  ‘Modeling Irish Unification’ report — undertaken by Canadian consultancy KLC and University of British Columbia academics

Comment

‘Modeling Irish Unification’ report — undertaken by Canadian consultancy KLC and University of British Columbia academics

In fairness, I have not read it but the bit of info supplied appear to be distant, perhaps you can put up a link

Comment

is this it? https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/issues/uni...er_2015-08.pdf

interesting read, I'm sure a lot of it went over my head.

do all of the assumptions still hold true I wonder?
                      • would the assumed reduction elimination of two parallel governments offset the current NI fiscal deficit currently funded from London
                      • if NI adopt the Euro will the exchange rate between Euro and Pound still exist to effectively devalue the currency for the north
                      • would the modelled productivity improvements materialise

Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post

Nonsense. The EU would be pumping billions of structural funds into it for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

is this it? https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/issues/uni...er_2015-08.pdf

interesting read, I'm sure a lot of it went over my head.

do all of the assumptions still hold true I wonder?
                          • would the assumed reduction elimination of two parallel governments offset the current NI fiscal deficit currently funded from London
                          • if NI adopt the Euro will the exchange rate between Euro and Pound still exist to effectively devalue the currency for the north
                          • would the modelled productivity improvements materialise
                          Yeah that's the one. People get too caught up in the subsidization of NI from London in my opinion.

Whatever about the south, partition has been a disaster economically for the north when you compare the GDP since 1921.

Comment

Yeah that's the one. People get too caught up in the subsidization of NI from London in my opinion.

Whatever about the south, partition has been a disaster economically for the north when you compare the GDP since 1921.
                            it is a lot of money in fairness and the report does assume a big move from public sector funded employment to private sector employment (at least I think that's what it says)

Comment

Hasn’t cost as much, I suspect, as sectarian violence.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Hasn’t cost as much, I suspect, as sectarian violence.
                                Chicken and egg from an economic point of view?

Comment

Working...
                                X