No announcement yet.

Fine Gael

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was actually "pragmatic and urgent" but your point is valid.

If 128 days is an urgent response, then we are all doooomed.

Comment

Well at least the 2 cheeks of the same ar*e have been reunited does this mean we have "old SF" and "new SF" sitting in Leinster house?
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
        Well at least the 2 cheeks of the same ar*e have been reunited does this mean we have "old SF" and "new SF" sitting in Leinster house?
        Great question!
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Doesn't say a lot for the new lame duck coalition government if they need to bribe their own councillors to support their program for government

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...se-972111.html

"There are 949 councillors in Ireland. A €8,000 pay rise would cost more than €7.5m a year.

However, it is understood that certain perks for councillors, such as expenses for so-called foreign fact-finding trips, an extra €1,000 for municipal district work, as well as other discretionary bonuses signed off on by individual councils, will be retained.

Councillors will also be still entitled to special bonuses as mayors.

These include €50,000 as the lord mayors in Dublin City and Cork City; €30,000 for mayors of other councils such as Kerry, Tipperary, Wexford, and other Dublin councils; while councils with 29 members or fewer — such as Galway, Carlow, and Kilkenny — will get €20,000 for the mayoral role."

Comment

Almost a million already wasted on this, what will be the final cost after 2 years of this nonsensical vanity project?

"On 17 June, the Irish campaign for a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council proved victorious as 128 member-states cast their votes for Ireland. Since July 2017, diplomats at the Irish Mission to the UN in New York have led a colourful and provocative campaign at a cost of €840,000 to compete against Norway and Canada for one of two seats assigned to the ‘Western Europe and Other group.’"

Comment

It seems on an annual basis Ireland just spent 20 cents a head to get a seat on the UN Security Council. Something else eh...

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                It seems on an annual basis Ireland just spent 20 cents a head to get a seat on the UN Security Council. Something else eh...
                Oh you're explaining away the massive sum already spent and the millions yet due on this stupid vanity project by giving a cost per head? Well isnt that wonderful.
                I'd recommend you get a bigger calculator for performing that trick for the childrens hospital, whitewater rafting attraction, national broadband, shannon pipeline, private hospital rental etc etc etc

Comment

Well I guess Micheál must be happy getting his place in history along with a brilliant pension...

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                    Well I guess Micheál must be happy getting his place in history along with a brilliant pension...
                    Mee-hole is like the child who screams and shouts for something for ages just because. Mee-hole is the amoeba of irish politics, totally spineless. Committing to everything and u turning as soon as it suits him.
                    But now he has in place in history as another FF taoiseach following on from the superb haughey, bertie and clown.
                    I think we all know how this will go..

Comment

Micheal Martin was an excellent minister in all the portfolios he held (many of his political foes will agree with that). He was the first minister internationally who introduced a smoking ban (possibly the single most important public health initiative to occur in Ireland in past 30 years) against the wishes of powerful lobbying groups and senior members of the then government McCreevy and Harney. He took over a party rightly decimated after overseeing the bankrupting of the country....the main players scarpered off with their pensions. He steadied the ship and supported bi partisan efforts to stabilise the country. He has now lead FF and FG to join forces for national stability a fact few would ever deemed possible and coming up to 100 year anniversary of our most divisive history of our country. He has faced down powerful voices in his own party. He has faults but I for one am happy that this arrangement will go forward. I didn't want a payrise in the midst of a global recession and pandemic. I didnt want €200 for ever citizen when there is no money to spare. I could go on listing the ridiculous populist recommendations from the party of 'change' but run out of space.
                      I am reassured in the knowledge that the cabinet will be made up of some of brightest minds of the 3 parties and look forward to giving them a chance to govern in uncertain times.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel Yell View Post
                        Micheal Martin was an excellent minister in all the portfolios he held (many of his political foes will agree with that). He was the first minister internationally who introduced a smoking ban (possibly the single most important public health initiative to occur in Ireland in past 30 years) against the wishes of powerful lobbying groups and senior members of the then government McCreevy and Harney. He took over a party rightly decimated after overseeing the bankrupting of the country....the main players scarpered off with their pensions. He steadied the ship and supported bi partisan efforts to stabilise the country. He has now lead FF and FG to join forces for national stability a fact few would ever deemed possible and coming up to 100 year anniversary of our most divisive history of our country. He has faced down powerful voices in his own party. He has faults but I for one am happy that this arrangement will go forward. I didn't want a payrise in the midst of a global recession and pandemic. I didnt want €200 for ever citizen when there is no money to spare. I could go on listing the ridiculous populist recommendations from the party of 'change' but run out of space.
                        I am reassured in the knowledge that the cabinet will be made up of some of brightest minds of the 3 parties and look forward to giving them a chance to govern in uncertain times.
                        Jasus, you make MeHole sound like some kind of Disney Superhero, whereas he has been useless in any portfolio in the past, constantly kicking everything into touch and demanding Reports, half of which he then does not bother to read.

He was involved in the Mahon Tribunal and absolutely up to his tits supporting Owen O'Callaghan (r.i.p.) and his destruction of Tom Gilmartin's ambitions for Quarryvale SC in Dublin.

He is old fashioned FF and likes to earn a few quid on the side.

Comment

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...JPd-l6asu&cf=1

Maybe above is a more balanced article than my comments on Micheal Martin. Stanley your comments are untrue and libellous. Unlike other constituencies he would not have consistently polled high in Cork SC if he was corrupt and lining his own pockets as you suggest. I have just heard Richard Boyd Barrett in introducing his comments on the government say this is not against Micheal Martin as he launched into his speech. He surely would have included him if he was this figure you paint?

Comment

Great to see those who were rejected by the voting public being appointed to the Upper house so much for change.

Comment

Regina Doherty who wanted the Seanad abolished during the 2015 referendum, is now happy to be a Senator and head of the Seanad.
                              Life is good

Comment

I realise that he (or FG) is not everyone’s cup of tea- but I was proud to have Leo as Taoiseach - and I would have despaired of Ireland had we voted in SF (again I realise this is probably only a little more popular a stance than the former), but I am dismayed by the cobbled together self/interested anti democratic nonsense we now have as a government. I would not have wanted SF with an asses roar of government, but I believe this short term marriage of convenience will be politically damaging for all Involved and the country, in the longer term. COVID prevented another election, which would probably have been equally inconclusive. Could we not have had a national government of ALL the talents (inc SF and independents), appointed for, say 3 years (ie post Brexit and COVID, recovery phase)on a non party political basis, rather than this demeaning, parochial patronage.

Comment

Working...
                                X