Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fine Gael

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Honestly though, why would the Republic of Ireland commemorate an organisation which was never connected to it? One which has already been commemorated by the crown?

    To place the rest of my answer in context, I will mention that I led one of the first ever "Community Safety Partnership" projects which were set up following the establishment of the PSNI, back in 2002 or thereabouts. This involved no small leap of faith on my part, for which there was a certain price to pay, but it was one I was willing to make because I believed it was the right thing to do as part of the broader effort to build a better society in NI.

    I also happen to have long-standing friendships with a couple of former RUC officers, both of whom still suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder many years after retiring from the force. I'm unlikely to forget listening to one of them describe watching a blown-up Land Rover being taken away from the scene of the explosion once what was left of the bodies had been removed, and seeing the blood of his dead colleagues cascade out from under the back doors like a scene from a horror movie.

    Nevertheless, I am also completely cognisant of the fact that the RUC as an organisation was a paramilitary force of a sectarian state, which was centrally involved in the often violent oppression of one section of the community it was supposed to serve. It was persistently culpable in abetting criminal individuals and organisations in the murder of other citizens, not only "combatant" members of republican organisations but also others who were simply uninvolved but easy to kill, such as at Loughinisland. It was blatant and shameless in its suppression and destruction of evidence which could have led to prosecutions against its own corrupt and criminal members, such as the fire set in the incident room of the Stevens inquiry.

    I am capable of differentiating between the likes of the former officers I count as friends, who would have been ordinary decent bobbies no matter where they had done their policing, and the rotten, murderous elements of the organisation for which they worked. I know that the RUC included many individuals who were decent men and women who put themselves in harm's way and whose key motivation was to make the place where they lived as safe as they could. And I know that the RUC also included a significant proportion of corrupt, criminal, murderous bigots who were protected from the top and were extremely well rewarded having left the organisation with their reputations undeservedly intact. In the face of the darker elements of its history, I think it has already had its share of fanfare and ceremony. I don't see the basis for a 32 county Republic of Ireland to honour an organisation with an even more egregious record than the RIC. I think that to do so would be massively counterproductive and foment rather than diminish feelings of mistrust and resentment.
    Tis but a scratch.

    Comment


      Impressive opinion piece from Brian Hanley in the Irish Times on the whole affair.
      Gwan Joe!!

      Comment


        Originally posted by Jackie Brown View Post
        Technically it was a commemoration of the RIC not a celebration of the Black and Tans. Sad how it's been twisted.

        My family had members killed and burnt out of their home in Cavan because my Great Grandfather went to France. The vermin who did this were seen as freedom fighters and held on a pedestal by the Irish state.

        I assume it's RIC bad, IRA good. Both were Irish men but it's the victors who write the history books. Maybe Ireland as a nation isn't as mature as it portrays.
        I wouldn't share your view on what it was technically. I suppose that could be taken as the strict definition of the word but Fine Gael didn't frame it that. I'm sure you know better than most of us that everything is political and FG deciding to proceed with this was a clear political move against republicans, in my opinion. I don't for a second think Leo Varadkar or Charlie Flanagan give a single **** about any RIC man or his memory, but they do give an awful lot of ****s about sticking two fingers up to Sinn Fein every chance they can get and they're not concerned about whose memory they sully in the process.

        Comment


          Just like everything else they touch, Fine gael's strategy of leaving everything "to the market" to sort out is a disaster. Quelle surprise..

          https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i...port-j7cttpmn6

          “Ireland has been very poor for value investors because the Irish banks were deemed value stocks and they suffered terribly in the global financial crisis,”

          Comment


            Can someone please go check on Leo? Poor fella's head must have almost imploded after william and kate paid their respects to IRA volunteers today..

            https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-irish-visit

            "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have started their first official visit to Ireland by laying a wreath at a memorial to those who died for Irish independence.
            The couple said in a statement they hoped the visit would “build on the theme of remembrance and reconciliation”.

            Comment


              Leo and eoghan murphys pet policy of co-living and high density apartments totally look like a great idea, coronavirus will have fun spreading through those like wildfire.

              Maybe now all the idiots that said one-off housing wasnt sustainable will finally zip it.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Major TNT View Post
                Leo and eoghan murphys pet policy of co-living and high density apartments totally look like a great idea, coronavirus will have fun spreading through those like wildfire.

                Maybe now all the idiots that said one-off housing wasnt sustainable will finally zip it.
                One off housing isn't sustainable. There is nothing wrong with apartment living. It happens the world over. Taking the recommended precautions of washing your hands, not touching your face and not spending more than 10 minutes within a meter of an infected person, is perfectly doable and affective in an apartment block.

                So no I won't zip it when it comes to the scourge of one off housing, The only "Mod edit when you resort to calling someone names l suspect your loosing your argument" here is you.

                Comment


                  So Leo Varadkar, because of the urgency of the Corona Virus situation, is going to "Speed up" (according to RTÉ ) the process of Government formation.

                  How us he going to do this? I hear you ask.

                  Well he is going to ask the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party to give him permission to enter talks with Fianna Fáil.

                  When? I hear you ask.

                  Next week, that's right NEXT WEEK.

                  Does he have any grasp of what the word "urgent" means?

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                    So Leo Varadkar, because of the urgency of the Corona Virus situation, is going to "Speed up" (according to RTÉ ) the process of Government formation.

                    How us he going to do this? I hear you ask.

                    Well he is going to ask the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party to give him permission to enter talks with Fianna Fáil.

                    When? I hear you ask.

                    Next week, that's right NEXT WEEK.

                    Does he have any grasp of what the word "urgent" means?
                    Kites need time in flight you see
                    I am the million man.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

                      One off housing isn't sustainable. There is nothing wrong with apartment living. It happens the world over. Taking the recommended precautions of washing your hands, not touching your face and not spending more than 10 minutes within a meter of an infected person, is perfectly doable and affective in an apartment block.

                      So no I won't zip it when it comes to the scourge of one off housing, The only idiot here is you.
                      And how do you know the person is infected? Seeing as those infected can transmit the infection before they exhibit the symptoms.... Maybe you should stop calling others idiots when you don't have workable response?
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by McCloud View Post

                        And how do you know the person is infected? Seeing as those infected can transmit the infection before they exhibit the symptoms.... Maybe you should stop calling others idiots when you don't have workable response?
                        Quite obviously you stay a least a meter away from everyone and also follow the other hygiene recommdations. Living in an apartment or a house makes no difference.

                        I'm also not the one who threw the word idiot out there. That was the man whose hatred of FG is so strong he's blaming as yet unbuilt apartments for the spread of the virus and calling anyone against urban sprawl an idiot. Even though building up the cities and cutting down on one off housing is pretty much standard policy across the political spectrum.

                        Comment


                          So I guess you don't have to travel on the Luas, by bus or train to get around for work or shopping??
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                          Comment


                            I only ever read this to see the Angry Major's latest rant.
                            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Wallyman View Post

                              Quite obviously you stay a least a meter away from everyone and also follow the other hygiene recommdations. Living in an apartment or a house makes no difference.

                              I'm also not the one who threw the word idiot out there. That was the man whose hatred of FG is so strong he's blaming as yet unbuilt apartments for the spread of the virus and calling anyone against urban sprawl an idiot. Even though building up the cities and cutting down on one off housing is pretty much standard policy across the political spectrum.
                              Good luck doing any of that in an apartment block with shared entrances, stairwells, lifts, waste points. There is a world of difference between living in an apartment versus a detatched house. Laughable that you dont realise that.
                              My original point stands, for years idiots in this country have told everyone that one off housing isnt sustainable. When it is a perfectly normal and far more sustainable way of housing a large portion of the population. The corona virus just highlights how unsustainable apartments and particularly eoghan murphys favorite - co living - spaces are.
                              When all settles down the figures will no doubt show that the spread and damage caused by the virus was much greater in apartments that in detached housing.

                              Comment


                                One for the Major, in the interest of balance

                                Click image for larger version

Name:	BF553AF4-EB99-4AD3-9A66-CA55D3B32EA2.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2596562
                                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

                                Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

                                Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X