X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied
    Originally posted by desert man View Post

‘Modeling Irish Unification’ report — undertaken by Canadian consultancy KLC and University of British Columbia academics
    is this it? https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/issues/uni...er_2015-08.pdf

interesting read, I'm sure a lot of it went over my head.

do all of the assumptions still hold true I wonder?
    • would the assumed reduction elimination of two parallel governments offset the current NI fiscal deficit currently funded from London
    • if NI adopt the Euro will the exchange rate between Euro and Pound still exist to effectively devalue the currency for the north
    • would the modelled productivity improvements materialise

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied

‘Modeling Irish Unification’ report — undertaken by Canadian consultancy KLC and University of British Columbia academics

In fairness, I have not read it but the bit of info supplied appear to be distant, perhaps you can put up a link

Leave a comment:

• desert man
    replied
    Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post

what research?

Leave a comment:

• Oldschoolsocks
    replied

Fortunately your assessment is not backed by the research.
    what research?

Leave a comment:

• desert man
    replied
    Originally posted by Stanley View Post

We simply cannot afford the North regardless of how generous BoJo might well be, to offload it.
    Fortunately your assessment is not backed by the research.

Leave a comment:

• Stanley
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post

Pretty much everything I post is a summary of whats reported in a reasonably respected national newspaper - the Irish Times. Probably the last reasonably respected national newspaper we have. I do despise FG's main policies as they've intentionally made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and the health service, housing and homelessness worse.

After a century of FG & FF rule it is really is time for a change. It is not good practice or good governance to allow the same community or club committee continue for more than 5 years. So why on earth do we allow the same political parties to control things for a hundred years?
    You also have the incredible situation where FF and especially FG are totally against reunification of this country as it would relegate them to the opposition benches for at least a term or 2. And yet meehole and varadkar preach about pulling on the green jersey..

We simply cannot afford the North regardless of how generous BoJo might well be, to offload it.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post

I think in fairness the Major tends to post stuff that's hostile to Fine Gael (and more recently Fianna Fáil), rather than pro Sinn Féin stuff. It is true that he doesn't take criticism of SF well, to put it mildly, but that tends to be overly simplistic on here, which does diminish the quality of discussion somewhat.
    Pretty much everything I post is a summary of whats reported in a reasonably respected national newspaper - the Irish Times. Probably the last reasonably respected national newspaper we have. I do despise FG's main policies as they've intentionally made the poor poorer, the rich richer, and the health service, housing and homelessness worse.

After a century of FG & FF rule it is really is time for a change. It is not good practice or good governance to allow the same community or club committee continue for more than 5 years. So why on earth do we allow the same political parties to control things for a hundred years?
    You also have the incredible situation where FF and especially FG are totally against reunification of this country as it would relegate them to the opposition benches for at least a term or 2. And yet meehole and varadkar preach about pulling on the green jersey..

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    The way this gov is shaking out I think you could see Leo back as taoiseach by pissmas

Leave a comment:

• jagawayagain
    replied
    Originally posted by mr chips View Post

I think in fairness the Major tends to post stuff that's hostile to Fine Gael (and more recently Fianna Fáil), rather than pro Sinn Féin stuff. It is true that he doesn't take criticism of SF well, to put it mildly, but that tends to be overly simplistic on here, which does diminish the quality of discussion somewhat.
    I suspect my political views are in a minority here, but as Chips implies the virtue of a forum like this is that many post thoughtful posts, the Major included. We share a love of Munster rugby, the fact that we have different views on other matters, is welcome, and for me fundamental about what rugby is about.

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied
    Originally posted by B.A. View Post

Well you see, this is in response to our resident shinnerbot who spouts non-stop propaganda but when it gets thrown back at him that his own beloved mass-murdering scumbags are every bit as bad, he's nowhere to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Ah would you look at this, FG with their heads firmly in the sand..

Oh course it was just a gaffe here and there, nothing to do with totally incompetent ministers like harris, doherty and murphy, failures to address homelessness, housing & healthcare, the maria bailey shambles, the national childrens hospital and national broadband plan debacles, and of course leo continuously sticking the boot into the poorest in society etc etc...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/poli...ffes-1.4317127

"A series of gaffes prior to and during the general election cost Fine Gael at the polls, a meeting of the parliamentary party has been told.

Ministers and Ministers of State held discussions reviewing the party’s general election performance on Tuesday ahead of a further meeting of the entire parliamentary party on Wednesday evening."

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

so your arguments can essentially be distilled down to whataboutism and throwing out accusations of hypocrisy?
    Mairead McGuinness was not even there so not a good example.

Leave a comment:

• Yatenga
    replied
    Originally posted by Major TNT View Post

Nail on the head. FF & FG mouthpieces attack Michelle O'Neill for attending a Dail ceremony in Dublin, yet have no issue with Mairead McGuinness jetting in from brussels for the same event.
    SF politicians attending a funeral in belfast was whipped into a media storm here for weeks. Yet FF & FG politicians attending a funeral in Roscommon wasn't a problem.
    The same FF & FG partitionist mouthpieces want nothing to do with the 6 counties, yet bang on about events there when it suits their agenda.
    People receiving the pandemic unemployment payment are ripped asunder for going on a prebooked holiday, yet tax exiles such as denis o'brien get to come and go when they please. The revenue commissioners even extended the number of days tax exiles can spend here!

Its the hypocrisy and double standards that would sicken you. Little wonder that the likes of varadkar wasnt even elected in his own constituency until the 5th count!
    so your arguments can essentially be distilled down to whataboutism and throwing out accusations of hypocrisy?

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by McCloud View Post

I think you see SF in the head line and that's it. I've got no interest in SF as a party or anything else to be truthful but your a bit like Donald Trump every body else is to blame are you going to have ago at those who attended Jack Chartons funeral as well or do you just do double standards??
    Nail on the head. FF & FG mouthpieces attack Michelle O'Neill for attending a Dail ceremony in Dublin, yet have no issue with Mairead McGuinness jetting in from brussels for the same event.
    SF politicians attending a funeral in belfast was whipped into a media storm here for weeks. Yet FF & FG politicians attending a funeral in Roscommon wasn't a problem.
    The same FF & FG partitionist mouthpieces want nothing to do with the 6 counties, yet bang on about events there when it suits their agenda.
    People receiving the pandemic unemployment payment are ripped asunder for going on a prebooked holiday, yet tax exiles such as denis o'brien get to come and go when they please. The revenue commissioners even extended the number of days tax exiles can spend here!

Its the hypocrisy and double standards that would sicken you. Little wonder that the likes of varadkar wasnt even elected in his own constituency until the 5th count!

Leave a comment:

• Major TNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Yatenga View Post

so am I correct in saying that your point is you are not a hypocrite because you are in favor of all funerals that breach health guidelines while I am a hypocrite because I only care about those that are organized by the IRA?

Which is kind of a dumb argument to be having and suggests you are more interested in personal attacks

Over.
    Well that went completely over your head....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X