Fine Gael

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
    Did not Leo say he had full confidence in the minister this morning despite knowing of additional un-minuted meeting having taken place between the minister and the bidder??
    You can have full confidence in someone, but realise that what they have done is unwise/wrong and merits resignation. As someone said above, it is real and positive change that people go readily rather than hang in. Enhancing propriety of politics and politicians, is especially important in a society where the bastions of morality have abjectly failed their ‘flock’.

Comment

Looks like minister for justice charlie flanagan has more questions to answer about garda misconduct..

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crim...duct-1.3746381

Comment

https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37800967.html

agree or disagree with government and or his stewardship of health portfolio but I think this type of "protest" is uncalled for and is actually a disgrace.
        protest outside the dail or outside constituency offices but private lives are private, his wife and newborn 3 week old baby deserve to be left alone.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post
          https://www.independent.ie/irish-new...-37800967.html

agree or disagree with government and or his stewardship of health portfolio but I think this type of "protest" is uncalled for and is actually a disgrace.
          protest outside the dail or outside constituency offices but private lives are private, his wife and newborn 3 week old baby deserve to be left alone.

Be good to see them call out judges for the nonsense they go on with. The legal profession is right up there with politicians and bankers as the crux of the problems in this country.

Comment

It was the Fingal Battalion Direction Action Group. Leaders of the ‘Flying Column’ told how the demo marked the start of a ‘Bring it to their doors’ campaign to vent public anger at Government austerity policies.

Disgusting behaviour. they dispersed today and have been roundly criticised for it. If they do it again My initial feeling is get the truncheons out but that just makes them martyrs.
            "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post

Be good to see them call out judges for the nonsense they go on with. The legal profession is right up there with politicians and bankers as the crux of the problems in this country.
              Right. What has that got to do with a pile of headbangers harassing a government minister?
              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Agree completely.

The IMF left Ireland with 3 main recommendations for further progress:

1. Reform of the Public Sector
                2. Particular root & branch reform of the health service(s) in this country ( e.g. worst value health service in the world, source OECD)
                3. Reform of the legal system in Ireland (out moded laws and practices, not consistent, judiciary not accountable e.g. poor use of precedent, opaque costs , unduly lengthy and expensive)

I have not seen one party directly address these issues since the IMF left town. This Fine Gael government even got rid of the department for Public Expenditure!? This is part of the reason that overruns like the children's hospital are occuring and even worse that this government are now relying on huge, once off, tax technicality windfalls to fund ongoing expenditure levels that we will be stuck with in pertuity..... This is when the economy is performing ahead of potential so we are due a clawback in revenues leading to even more debt....... Well done Leo , Pascal and Simon Harris!!!

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Political parties and the legal profession are very often the one side of the same coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post

Right. What has that got to do with a pile of headbangers harassing a government minister?

Read the article.

Comment

Read the article.
                      Yes, I'm sure their concerns with the judiciary are based on a solid foundation of knowledge and reason and are not at all the same sort of ****wittery that landed Mattie McGrath and other assorted simpletons in a branch of KBC recently.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Yes, I'm sure their concerns with the judiciary are based on a solid foundation of knowledge and reason and are not at all the same sort of ****wittery that landed Mattie McGrath and other assorted simpletons in a branch of KBC recently.
                        So someone says that they would like to call out the judicial system and it’s many many failings and you draw parallels with what happened with KBC. Good jump there.

There are a world of problems in this country that are either directly or indirectly the consequence of the outdated, overpaid and frankly corrupt elements that operate in the judicial system.

The owner of a business was on the radio earlier, his insurance has risen 600% in the last 5 years in one business and has been given notice of 3 weeks that his policy on another business won’t be renewed due to the cost of claims (He hasn’t had any).

The judicial system has to take a large portion Of responsibility for the claims culture in this country that is now closing businesses and threatening others. FG can be judged on it as well when the time comes, because with 8 years in power they have done nothing to address it.

Comment

So someone says that they would like to call out the judicial system and it’s many many failings and you draw parallels with what happened with KBC. Good jump there.

There are a world of problems in this country that are either directly or indirectly the consequence of the outdated, overpaid and frankly corrupt elements that operate in the judicial system.
                          The implication is that they would like to "call out" judges by gathering outside their homes. I know some of the people involved in the KBC protest, I have dealt with them professionally. It is no jump whatsoever to assume they'd be involved in something like that.

You've said a couple of times that a corrupt legal system is at the crux of the problems in the country, then you have offered a single example for this. An example that you can partly lay at the door of an overstated award system and the cost of litigating in the lower courts in Ireland. The insurance industry also takes a large share of the blame however. Are there any more examples of "legal corruption" you have?

Comment

The implication is that they would like to "call out" judges by gathering outside their homes. I know some of the people involved in the KBC protest, I have dealt with them professionally. It is no jump whatsoever to assume they'd be involved in something like that.

You've said a couple of times that a corrupt legal system is at the crux of the problems in the country, then you have offered a single example for this. An example that you can partly lay at the door of an overstated award system and the cost of litigating in the lower courts in Ireland. The insurance industry also takes a large share of the blame however. Are there any more examples of "legal corruption" you have?

Im not an advocate, defender or participant of people protesting in that fashion, but I would like to see the spotlight shone on the legal profession for at least a while
                            in some manner.

I said that the blame for the claims culture is shared by many, insurance companies have contributed to it immensely, people are responsible for bringing bullssst claims, and the low levels of Gardai investigation and prosecution of fraudulent cases are other factors but the legal system is one of the biggest factors behind it.

Tribunals of inquiry some investigations and reports are another area that only serve to benefit well connected members of the legal system. Legal corruption at its finest, Billing staggering daily amounts to the government to delay and drag out what is already known and when the “results” are published there are no consequences for offenders.

Am I right in guessing from how quickly you have looked to defend the profession that you make a living from some area of law?

Comment

Im not an advocate, defender or participant of people protesting in that fashion, but I would like to see the spotlight shone on the legal profession for at least a while
                              in some manner.

I said that the blame for the claims culture is shared by many, insurance companies have contributed to it immensely, people are responsible for bringing bullssst claims, and the low levels of Gardai investigation and prosecution of fraudulent cases are other factors but the legal system is one of the biggest factors behind it.

Tribunals of inquiry some investigations and reports are another area that only serve to benefit well connected members of the legal system. Legal corruption at its finest, Billing staggering daily amounts to the government to delay and drag out what is already known and when the “results” are published there are no consequences for offenders.

Am I right in guessing from how quickly you have looked to defend the profession that you make a living from some area of law?
                              Tribunals are set up via legislative action in the Oireachtas, the judiciary are not involved in that process. Each party can appoint the advocate of their choice. Some are paid a fortune but that's the benefit of being a highly qualified expert in a particular field. That happens in more areas than legal advocacy.

Yes I am involved in the legal profession but I'm not a litigator and have no involvement with the courts system. Still I felt it necessary to step in when someone laid laid the blame for the major issues facing Ireland at the door of the judiciary.

Comment

Working...
                              X