Home security.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home security.

Can't see any mention of this important subject here, so I hope it's ok to start a new page.

I think a lot of people underestimate the risks involved in making their homes safer from undesirables, and only really switch on after a break in.

I had 4 break ins over 18 months, so I took this seriously eventually.

My advice would be to look at some/all of the following, as all you need to do is make your property a bit less attractive to a potential thief - maybe they'll try another less well secured pad?

1/. Neighbourhood watch. We have a very active group, and the Gardai are very supportive and helpful. You'd be surprised how a sticker in the window and a regular Garda presence can help discourage crime. The lads would be in the area nearly every night for various reasons.

2/. Alarms. A non monitored one is a waste of time and money. People here have grown used to ignoring them.

3/. Doors and windows. A small investment can secure these. Of course if an intruder wants in badly enough nothing will stop them.

4/. Keys. Keep them out of sight. Mine are always upstairs at night. I have a baseball bat for self defense beside the bed.

5/. Panic button linked to a barking dog alarm. Recommended. I don't have a dog, but still have a kennel in the back yard, and sometimes even buy dog food in my local Lidl - you'd never know who'd be looking. The dog alarm gets used a couple of times a week - you can even change the bark which keeps it fresh. It's quite loud and hopefully convincing.

6/. Ask questions. Talk to people and treat strangers with a friendly hello, but ask who they are and what brings them here. Burglers will generally case an estate before acting. Be careful not to overdo it though, as you'll be accused of all sorts.

Stay safe folks, and mind those valuable electronics!
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Love the dog food one!
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Comment

Can't be too careful John. I'd recommend fitting one of these if the budget is a bit stretched.

http://ultrasecure.ie/decoy-dummy-cc...mera-dc16.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	white-decoy-dome-cctv-camera-dc16.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	2484976

I bought some plastic dog poo recently, and arranged a few turds by the front gate. No chuggers have called since, which is good news in my book. The only issue is that real dogs are now using the place as a communal ****ter. Oh well.

Comment

I like the idea of the barking dog alarm, tell us more.

We are out in the sticks with only one other house nearby. We installed an alarm last year which im hoping will make any scumbags casing the house to move on.

Would people recommend electronic gates....or is there a touch of advertising you have something worth robbing inside the gates??
        There Rice krispie cakes not buns

Comment

I bought my barking dog alarm on Amazon. This is similar but doesn't allow you to "change the dog" so to speak.

Electric gates are a bit out of my league really, but a potential thief might ping the buzzer and only get encouraged if there's no reply. Just a guess.

Neighbourhood watch is the best thing though. Our group wanted to buy a uniform high viz semi miltary jacket to give us a bit of authority, but the Gardai weren't keen going as far as to use the dreaded "vigilante" term. Maybe they had a point?

Comment

What kind of dog food did you buy?
            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
              What kind of dog food did you buy?
              Does it matter? I genuinely can't recall.

p.s. Would you like some for your pooch?

Comment

Make sure you match the size of your dog poops to the size of your kennel, any burglar worth their salt would immediately catch on to your ruse if you'd a kennel fit for a terrier but poops that were worthy of a Alsatian
                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

I gave up on the fake turds Sulla. I went to "rearrange them" for authenticity one evening and it was a bit dark.....yoyu can guess the rest.

Comment

4 breakins in 18 month... not being funny, but where in Cork do you live...?? do you have kids living with you..?
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

I'm in the city boy. Would prefer to keep the exact location private, but let's just say it's not regarded as a upcoming or desirable area. High unemployment etc. My kids carry personal attack alarms, which would deter any would be attacker (hopefully). I keep a C2 taser nearby at all times.

Still home is home and I'm satisfied with the steps I've taken to secure and protect it. I think the ultimate target might be my car - a lovely Toyota Prius. I'm very proud of it. It's great on petrol and in 6 years of ownership only a single car has overtaken me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                        Does it matter? I genuinely can't recall.
                        Yes I think it does.

p.s. Would you like some for your pooch?
                        No, it's ok I only feed my dog with anti-water charges protesters.
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

It's the tinned stuff, if that makes any difference. Is the a best before date on that I wonder?

Comment

this is an interesting wind up. Miguel, winding people up is against the forum rules.

Comment

Spoilsport.

Comment

Working...
                              X