• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul Murphy arrested

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0209/678832-arrest/

An unpleasant little man.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Prick of the highest order. He'll sail through again next time.
    \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
    Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
      Prick of the highest order. He'll sail through again next time.
      If he's convicted of a crime can he still be a TD?

Genuine question.

Comment

I don't know actually. I'd imagine there have been TD's with criminal records of some sort in the past?
        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
        Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

Genuine question.
          Yep
          "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

The mother was graduating at this event. She said that what she saw that day both disgusted and frightened her, with Murphy at the forefront directing everything over his megaphone.
            He deserves to be charged with some level of public order offence.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

Genuine question.
              I think it may be the case that he'd have to vacate his seat if he was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of longer than 6 month. I'm not certain though so we may need T78 to confirm.
              "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

not sure how reliable this is:

http://politicalreform.ie/2011/03/23...han-you-think/

Firslty, where the member is adjudged to be a Bankrupt. This is how James Larkin lost his seat in 1928. Larkin refused to pay a court ordered settlement from a libel case and was adjudged to be a bankrupt by the court.

Secondly, where the member has been sent to prison for a term exceeding 6 months. Liam Lawlor did spend time in prison for contempt of court but as the term did not exceed 6 months he was not disqualified. In fact many will remember his appearance in the Dail Chamber after being conveyed to Leinster House in a Prison Van.

It has been rumoured that there is provision to remove a member by vote of house. If there is I have yet to come across the legal provision for such as move. But if there was to be such provision it would be based on very precarious grounds. It would be possible for the House to suspend the member from the chamber but the pending appeal from the Ivor Calley decision may halt a similar attempt. The Callely decision was a based on the constitutional right to fair procedures and the fact that members of the house would be casting judgement on the fate of a fellow member. If the House were to expel a member then the realm of constitutional legal theory would interact with reality thereby creating an uncertain legal situation with a high probability of a constitutional case being taken against the whole house.
                "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                  I think it may be the case that he'd have to vacate his seat if he was sentenced to a term of imprisonment of longer than 6 month. I'm not certain though so we may need T78 to confirm.
                  Some solicitor you are.
                  "You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in.
                  I am not in danger, Skyler. I am the danger.
                  A guy opens his door and gets shot, and you think that of me?
                  No! I am the one who knocks!"

Comment

He could just pass a sexist note to Enda and then claim that he cannot receive a fair trial because female jury members would have their opinions tainted by his sexist image portrayed in the Dublin meeja. (the Lowry defence)
                    Last edited by B.A.; 9th-February-2015, 14:27.

Comment

Will his scrote foot soldiers hold a vigil until he is released??

Comment

This is nothing more than state intimidation of legitimate protest.

I'm contantly amazed at how reflexiively reactionary many posters here are. It seems many of the posters on this thread would cheer the imprisonoment of sufffragettes and the execution of Padraic Pearse & Co for having the cheek to disagree with the status quo.

Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

I have no issue with challenging the status quo but trapping someone, anyone, in their car for 2 hours and shouting abuse at them is acting the bollox. If it happened to one of your family members I'm sure you'd take issue. He's a cnut.

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
                            I have no issue with challenging the status quo but trapping someone, anyone, in their car for 2 hours and shouting abuse at them is acting the bollox. If it happened to one of your family members I'm sure you'd take issue. He's a cnut.
                            No. Not at all. If Joan Burton thinks she's immune from people's anger she's mistaken. That's what public life is all about. Ask her to justify her bloated salary while cutting the income of working single parents by as much as 40% and she'll tell you that it''s a very tough job, unpopular, hard choices... blah blah. If she doesn't want to make those decisions then she is free to oppose them as is Paul whatsisname

If people did not protest on the streets then none of us would even have a vote.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                              This is nothing more than state intimidation of legitimate protest.

I'm contantly amazed at how reflexiively reactionary many posters here are. It seems many of the posters on this thread would cheer the imprisonoment of sufffragettes and the execution of Padraic Pearse & Co for having the cheek to disagree with the status quo.

Did you seriously attempt to liken the suffragette movement and Padraic Pearse to this individual??

Really.

Comment

Working...
                              X