Chess

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chess

Anyone here play? I've signed up to chess.com and managed to lose about seven of my first eight games. I have very little clue about what I'm doing but I suppose I'm having fun. I was thinking of heading to a chess club in Cork but I don't know if I fancy being destroyed in seven moves by a 12 year old. If anyone wants to play a game online send me a PM and we can organise one of those three days per move chess games.
    I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

If you're interested in playing it often then I'd suggest get a book for beginners. It'll teach you strategies, how to attack, or play defensively etc. Otherwise just stick at it and you'll start to learn. I was 8 when I learned and I'm sorry I don't play more often.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

We used to have a weekly tournament in a house I shared. The object of the exercise was that the last placed inhabitant of the house cleaned the jax. The same lad came in last every time.
      The jax never got cleaned so eventually we all moved on.
      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I cleaned the jax last Sunday. Then I started playing chess on Tuesday. I think we all can learn a lesson from both our stories.
        I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

On white, Pawn to Queen three is a decent opening but I'm told tthere are better gambits.
          If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

Used to play chess with a bygone mate. I've forget most smart moves and strategies...
            If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.

Comment

There's no such thing as "Pawn to Queen Three" anymore. They have introduced a whole new system.

I used to play years ago. I have a Chess programme on my computer but I haven't sat across a Board from anyone in over 20 years. My sister-in-law and her Boyfriend brought me back a Chess Set from Australia. I sat down with the Boyfriend and wiped the floor with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
                There's no such thing as "Pawn to Queen Three" anymore. They have introduced a whole new system.
                What do you mean?
                "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

The board is now made up of a grid with letters along the bottom from left to right and numbers along the side from bottom to top. All the pieces except the pawns are still identified by letters. King is K, Queen is Q Knight is N etc. Pawns don't get any letter. White plays from bottom to top so if White were to open with "Pawn to Queen Three" in the old notation, it would be written as "d3"

see here EDIT This is possibly a better source.

EDIT This change has been in force since 1981!!
                  Last edited by Piquet; 9th-January-2015, 08:29.

Comment

I sat down with the Boyfriend and wiped the floor with him.
                    Only quoting the above for a laugh.

I played Community games in the early 80's, I taught a mate how to play in secondary school, after a few months he beat and that was it until kids came along, play an odd game with my (11yr old) daughter but she loses interest once the going gets tough, my younger son looks at me quare if I ask him to play.

Patience is a lost virtue and it's getting worse.

Comment

EDIT This change has been in force since 1981!!
                      About the last I played!
                      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I'm on Chess.com, haven't played in a few months. Like you Buceph, I tend to lose a lot more than I win but I enjoy it, good for the mind.

Spent many's an hour in Cambodia playing it on my travels - mainly with a good mate completely stoned out of our minds staring at the board for an age until the conversation went along the lines of:

Me/Him:'Uh... would you hurry up a bit man, it's been yonks'
                        Him/Me:'Wha... I thought it was your go'
                        Us: Ah ********!
                        Marty in the Morning

Comment

Originally posted by Buceph View Post
                          Anyone here play? I've signed up to chess.com and managed to lose about seven of my first eight games. I have very little clue about what I'm doing but I suppose I'm having fun. I was thinking of heading to a chess club in Cork but I don't know if I fancy being destroyed in seven moves by a 12 year old. If anyone wants to play a game online send me a PM and we can organise one of those three days per move chess games.
                          Been ages since ive played but i recommend getting to know the basic opening moves. Castling? If that's the correct term, and other moves.
                          very good game to play, you really do have to visualise so many different moves before they happen, your own and your opponents

Comment

Stefan Zweig's 'The Chess Player', a fine little read of a novella.
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Working...
                            X