Taking out life insurance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking out life insurance.

Slightly morbid thread but, as some of you may know my wife's 35 year old brother has been diagnosed with cancer. Unfortunately, the prognosis does not look very good, they are going to operate on his bowel, blast him with 12 weeks of chemo and then see what is going on with his liver to which it has spread. A terrible situation, he has children who are seven and two, has been made even worse because he doesn't have any life insurance let alone critical injury cover. Fortunately the family are in a position to help in the short term but, should the worst happen, and the statistics are not very clever, what is going to happen long term does not even bear thinking about. Please think seriously about life insurance if you don't have it and think twice if you are thinking of cancelling it. Sorry if I sound preachy but this really has made an unthinkably bad situation even worse.

With the current economic climate it seems some people are taking a gamble on insurance and probably just not health or serious illness insurance either.

I got my first payslip of the new year today, south the budget changes and an increase in insurance costs my take home pay increases by €2 a week.

Anyway PP I hope your BiL returns to full health.

Comment

Really sorry that your family is going through so much heartache PP. Can only wish for a successful course of treatment and a return to health. Cancer is such a scourge of an illness - as well as my friend Lisa I mentioned elsewhere, another very close friend of mine survived bowel cancer from about 15 years ago but in recent months has had treatment for stomach cancer, including surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. So far he is going well but it can feel pretty relentless. All the stuff around the treatment and the financial worries are an unending burden but try not to let that take your focus away from the love you have for one another as a family and hopefully the chance to enjoy the time you have together.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

as chips says, it's about living for today at this stage. My sister fought her way through 3 months after her diagnosis before it beat her, and she just did all the things she wanted to do and physically could at that stage, spent time with the family etc. Lots of fences got mended during the time, which was good. But I agree that people really should try to keep on with their life insurance, once they have kids in any event. It's one less thing to worry about.

Comment

Sorry to read that PP. I wish you and your brother in law all the best.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Sorry to hear about you BiL PP, hope the treatment works for him and he makes a good recovery. Life insurance and income protection insurance aren't glamorous but going through cancer treatment is hard enough without money worries on top. Don't forget Macmillan nurses can help with some of the admin around illness.
            Hope Not Hate

Comment

Thanks Cat. I will get onto them in the new year. We are trying to work out some sort of tax efficient way of giving them all money without it being taxed twice or affecting benefits etc.

Comment

I wish your brother in law a good fight. Because that is what it is. You'd be amazed at what they can do these days..

In Ireland I know a lot of friends and family who have also given up their health insurance.
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

PP I sincerely hope your brother-in-law responds well to treatment and has a positive outcome. A man I know whose wife was fighting cancer told me that no matter what,they continued to travel and were able to make arrangements for her to have treatment n various other countries. He said that in no other country,including Continental Europe and the US,was the cancer treatment received up to the standard in Ireland. This from a guy in a position to make comparison. So he's in good hands and I hope it goes well for him.

On the question of health insurance,shop around. This year I did for the first time and got the same cover for around HALF what I was paying.
                  Last edited by Arthur Guinness; 1st-January-2015, 11:49.
                  The early bird catches the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Comment

Very sad to be bumping this thread, my brother in laws cancer is back. I think we are probably in miracle territory. Of course he was unable to take out life insurance so the nightmare is even worse. I know things are always tight, but please, people, think very carefully about your need for life insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very difficult news to deal with, fingers crossed for your brother in law
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

All the best PP remember to look after yourself as well.
                        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Sorry to hear that PP, hope he gets some good news re possible treatments
                          "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Wishing your family all the best PP. NHS is criticised but has the best in the world working there. Take care of yourselves

Comment

Best wishes to you and yours TPP. Survival rates and treatments are improving all the time but cancer remains a horrible curse.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                              X