Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Slightly) Alternative Christmas Songs thread....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Slightly) Alternative Christmas Songs thread....

It can't be too early at this stage, can it? Thought it might be interesting to share some recommendations for some less well trodden Christmas music....so here's a few to start.

The sentimental - Tim Minchin's White Wine In The Sun..

The "regretful bloke in prison" - Paul Kelly's How To Make Gravy:

The secular hymn - Admiral Fallow's Isn't This World Enough:

The folky/political - The Ditchling Carol by Waterson:Carthy

The slightly countryish: If We Make It Through December by Blue Rodeo

The "not sure what to make of it but I like it" - Mindy Gledhill's Patapan/Emmanuel and Coventry Carol by The Jepettos

And a couple to get drunk and rowdy to - Bob Dylan's Must Be Santa and David Wax Museum's La Rama:

More recommendations welcome!
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Number 1 in the US, Christmas 1979. Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Weetabix View Post

Number 1 in the US, Christmas 1979. Enjoy!
        Great bit of air guitar playing between verses
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

How about a mashup for Christmas?.......
          “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

\"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.\" George Carlin

Comment

\"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood.\" George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by friendofthedevil View Post
                Thanks for posting. I love the Blue Valentines album and hadn't heard the live version of 'Christmas Card...' before

Happy Christmas
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

"We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Last edited by abbeyboatman; 24-December-2014, 13:43.

Comment

Working...
                    X