Adventures in Dublin, 10-Dec-14

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures in Dublin, 10-Dec-14

I had an adventure yesterday as a result of the Water Protest.

I was going to the Peter Gabriel Gig in the Point and Plan A was to drive to the Park and Ride, and get the Luas as described by another poster last week.

Some of the protesters decided to act the boll0cks and block O'Connell Bridge. As a result, the Luas was only going as far as Smithfield.

Plan B: get the Luas to Smithfield and get a Cab to the Point.

On the Luas I "got to thinking", reckoning that there be supply and demand issues around Smithfield so I'd be better off getting off the Luas at Heuston where there'd be loads of Cabs.

Plan C: Off I got and went around the side of the Station to where the Cabs were.

Into the first Cab, told the (Middle Eastern looking) Cabbie "The Point, please" . "OK", he said, "do you know the way there? Today is my first day."

"I kind of thought that you'd know the way but we can't go the straight way, O Connell St is blocked"

"OK" he said and consulted his Sat Nav which told him to go in along the Quays (which were blocked).

With that, I got out and into the Cab behind.

Plan D: Into the next cab I got and the Driver (a Dub) said no problem, but we're going to have to take a roundabout route, the Quays are blocked.

Off we went around by the back of Blackhall Place, past the Richmond Hospital along by Broadstone, the Black Church Dorset St, down towards Parnell Square but O'Connell St was jammers so we turned up past Barry's Hotel over by Mountjoy Square. Across Amiens St down by the side of the Royal Canal, onto East Wall Road and around by the Port Tunnel entrance to the Point. €13 and change, I gave him €15.

During the trip I told him about the other Cabbie and asked was there not some "How do you get from A to B test" before you can get a Permit.
    He said there is, 120 questions out of which one must get 70%. "Not wanting to be Racist", he said "Foreigners" as he put it can get by with 40%.

He said that a few weeks ago, it was announced that the Carriage Office would be doing spot checks on the Taxi Ranks but about 2,500 cabs didn't cone out to work that day.

Any comments?

All taxi drivers are racist. It's a prerequisite like all bus drivers being bastards.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Amazed he wasn't out protesting too, sounds like he had all the qualifications
      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
        I had an adventure yesterday as a result of the Water Protest.

I was going to the Peter Gabriel Gig in the Point and Plan A was to drive to the Park and Ride, and get the Luas as described by another poster last week.

Some of the protesters decided to act the boll0cks and block O'Connell Bridge. As a result, the Luas was only going as far as Smithfield.

Plan B: get the Luas to Smithfield and get a Cab to the Point.

On the Luas I "got to thinking", reckoning that there be supply and demand issues around Smithfield so I'd be better off getting off the Luas at Heuston where there'd be loads of Cabs.

Plan C: Off I got and went around the side of the Station to where the Cabs were.

Into the first Cab, told the (Middle Eastern looking) Cabbie "The Point, please" . "OK", he said, "do you know the way there? Today is my first day."

"I kind of thought that you'd know the way but we can't go the straight way, O Connell St is blocked"

"OK" he said and consulted his Sat Nav which told him to go in along the Quays (which were blocked).

With that, I got out and into the Cab behind.

Plan D: Into the next cab I got and the Driver (a Dub) said no problem, but we're going to have to take a roundabout route, the Quays are blocked.

Off we went around by the back of Blackhall Place, past the Richmond Hospital along by Broadstone, the Black Church Dorset St, down towards Parnell Square but O'Connell St was jammers so we turned up past Barry's Hotel over by Mountjoy Square. Across Amiens St down by the side of the Royal Canal, onto East Wall Road and around by the Port Tunnel entrance to the Point. €13 and change, I gave him €15.

During the trip I told him about the other Cabbie and asked was there not some "How do you get from A to B test" before you can get a Permit.
        He said there is, 120 questions out of which one must get 70%. "Not wanting to be Racist", he said "Foreigners" as he put it can get by with 40%.

He said that a few weeks ago, it was announced that the Carriage Office would be doing spot checks on the Taxi Ranks but about 2,500 cabs didn't cone out to work that day.

Any comments?
        A fine tale, well told PK and I believes each word of it.
        I heard a similar tale of last night regarding streets Parkgate, Benburb and Manor.
        Last edited by ustix; 11th-December-2014, 20:37.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

As it happens. Time from Maryborough Estate in Douglas to the Red Cow Park & Ride leaving at 15:36 2 hours 18 mins.

Return Trip leaving at 23:35 2 hours 10.

All travel was at the relevant Speed Limit Plus 5 ish km/hr

Comment

All taxi drivers are useless navigators fact! It's part on their qualifications.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

How was the gig? I had tickets but couldn't go due to work travel unfortunately.

Comment

Great. It started with two Swedish women Jenny Abrahamson on a sort of electric Xylophone and Linnea Olson on cello . They each sang two of their own songs. They were good without being spectacular, fine singers both, and got a good reception and attention from the crowd.
                The gig proper started then with PG on Piano, Tony Levin on a Stand-up bass, David Rhodes on Acoustic, Manu Katche on Drums and David Sancious starting on Accordion but then switching to Acoustic and then keyboards. They did an acoustic set of four or five songs including Come Talk to me and Shock the Monkey. They called this "The Starter".

They then went into a "Main course" of five of six songs with the Full band, including the two openers on backing vocals. Digging in the Dirt, Secret World. Solsbury Hill and a few more.

The "Desert" then was So, from start to finish.

In a lot of the songs, PG sang an octave or two lower than usual. He seemed to me to be minding his voice but was well able to hit the high notes when needed.

Jennie Abrahamson did "Don't Give Up" and managed to give me goosebumps, not an easy feat.

The Encore was The Tower that Ate People followed by Biko.

A great night. The sound was a little bit too "bassy" for me but that is a very small complaint. Well worth going up and down on the same night.

I haven't seen any reviews yet to see if the reviewers were at the same gig as I was.

The usual complaints of people chattering away during the performance and going to and from the bar were there, of course. That seems to be standard in any gig these days.

EDIT: This video clip has the same line-up as the other night, apart from the man who came in at around 3:45.
                Last edited by Piquet; 12th-December-2014, 12:11.

Comment

13 is impressive for that ride
                  "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

Piquet the government don't care. It's keeping numbers off the dole queues. Some of the taxi drivers' knowledge of Dublin is ridiculous. To be fair though you meet some brilliant ones too - who know every nook and cranny of the city.
                    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                      13 is impressive for that ride
                      Sounds about right, often get a cab from Heuston to just short of there, usually comes in around the €11 mark.
                      "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

I have no problem with the route the Driver took. He explained at all stages the detours he was taking and you could see the traffic jams we were trying to avoid.
                        Last edited by Piquet; 12th-December-2014, 12:19.

Comment

Was at the gig myself, was a little leaving but was parked up in Heuston at 8.25 and was there just in time for the start of the second song at around 8.55. Bit crowded to the right of the standing area so went around to the left and had loads of room.
                          Rotten night for driving home to Limerick after on your own.

Enjoyed the gig though. What did you make of it Piquet?

I gather from the chatter on the LUAS after the gig that it was carnage trying to get to the gig at a certain time.
                          Marty in the Morning

Comment

Lads they are every where,
                            last visit home, prime examples of the cabbies in Ireland, one native, one recent arrival.
                            Native. william street to Garryowen (not the rugby club) heads up Mulgrave st and up by Blackhorse rd then down through singland to get to my destination, has the meter running and tries to charge me 7.50 for what is essentially a four euro fare. Told him to get lost gave him four, took his number and reported it to the cop station.
                            Recent arrival, started heading for childers road, asked him where he was going, he said Kilmurry lodge, I told him where did he get that from and had to direct him to garryowen and he had the cheek to try and charge me 11 euro coz he got did not know where he was supposed to go, did the same thing but this was after he was getting out to argue. granteed it was late and I had a few scoops but FFS.
                            Every other time I did the same journey it was 4 euro from all cabbies.
                            To be fair most cabbies in Limerick are decent even if many were given heads to keep their ears apart.
                            psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by LeakyBoots View Post
                              Rotten night for driving home to Limerick after on your own.
                              you should try driving to Cork.

Originally posted by LeakyBoots View Post
                              Enjoyed the gig though. What did you make of it Piquet?
                              Great, Well worth the Trip. See my "Review" in post 8 above.

Comment

Working...
                              X