Advice required from a Sparks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice required from a Sparks

After smoke alarm started chirruping at 5am outside bedroom door, it was time to purchase new units (Changed all the batteries in recent weeks to no effect units coming to end of life)

Anyroad changed 2 no problem, they're wired to mains with battery back up.
    Problem is that not all the units installed are the same. (Two are easy, just wire up the new connector.) but 2 are wired directly to the backplate

Two cables with four wires in each Brown (L) Black (N) Yellow/Green (E) & Grey which i think is the Interconnector wire.
    The connector with the smoke alarm has only 3 slots, so what to do with the 2 Earth wires?

Also the wires there are a little bit thicker than the wires on the new connector. Is that a no-no?
    Any help/advice appreciated, may have to find a local sparks.
    Con Artist

The smoke alarm will be plastic if there is no connector for Earth, therefore use an independent connector and put all green/yellow earth's in this connected firmly together.
    Doesn't matter that the incoming wires are thicker than those out of the connector block in the detector. Just take your time and ensure both conductors are firmly screwed into the connector block.
    So I walked as day was dawning
    Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
    Where we once watched the row boats landing
    By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

Cheers Cougar, so just to clarify, If I use an electrical wire connector with four sections, each colour to its own slot. The two yellow/green earth wires go into their own slot.
      Then I hook up the connector that came with the smoke alarm into the matching slots, that should be ok?

Don't worry won't hold you too it & I've the wires isolated at the breakers
      Con Artist

Comment

have you big thick rubber wellies?
        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
          have you big thick rubber wellies?
          Thank feck for that.
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
            Cheers Cougar, so just to clarify, If I use an electrical wire connector with four sections, each colour to its own slot. The two yellow/green earth wires go into their own slot.
            Then I hook up the connector that came with the smoke alarm into the matching slots, that should be ok?

Don't worry won't hold you too it & I've the wires isolated at the breakers
            Yeah you have it there, just make sure the connections are well made, in the case of two cables I'd always twist them together and put them into the same side of the connector block and tighten the bejesus out of it. I used to be a spark in a previous life.
            "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpasimpson View Post
              Yeah you have it there, just make sure the connections are well made, in the case of two cables I'd always twist them together and put them into the same side of the connector block and tighten the bejesus out of it. I used to be a spark in a previous life.
              Sound man!
              Con Artist

Comment

I need to change a light fitting in one of the rooms.

Took off the cover. A plethora of wires looking back at me.

Now, here is the thing I don't understand: one of the blue wires has brown tape around it. Or maybe the other way round. Can't remember.

WTF does that mean? Ive checked a few of the other fittings and the same thing. Does it signify a loopback in a ring or something?

I'm probably going to get a sparks to do it, just wondering more out of curiosity really?
                Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Could be that the only insulating tape the sparks had on him was brown?
                  Con Artist

Comment

Yeah, he was using the neutral cable (blue) as the live (brown) for sheer convenience as it was a spare running from a supply to the fitting. It's nothing to worry about really but you would question the mindset of the lad doing it as he is obviously fond of short cuts.
                    "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                      Thank feck for that.
                      If it wasn't an 'E' you could still strap them to your feet and carry on!!
                      Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-boo View Post
                          If it wasn't an 'E' you could still strap them to your feet and carry on!!
                          Oh so thats what I have been doing wrong all along

Comment

Fitzy. Grandpa is quite correct. over in the uk the blue cable or the black cable which is usually used as a neutral is often used (when spare) as an extra live or what we would call a switch wire. to allow other future users to understand that it is not a neutral good practice is to sleeve it red or to put brown tape around it, (old fashioned as red is the norm), this signifies that it is a live or can become live and is not a neutral so dont touch it.
                            I would suggest to you that you find which fuse or circuit breaker relates to the fitting you are working on and take it out or switch it off and then when you install the new fitting ensure that the existing wiring is fitted into the new connector blocks exactly the same way as it is now then you should be ok.

Valencia. A normal dual plastic connector has 4 screws however these are 2 connections with 2 screws in each only so as to ensure a good connection. I would take grandpa's advice and twist the 2 earth's together and put them into one side of your dual connector (or if you have a single connector put them into this) and then screw the bejaysus out of them. Dont leave any metal of strands of metal of the earth's (or any conductor) hanging out of a connector as they could come into contact with other wires or the casing of the fitting. Make sure they are in each connector blocks properly
                            Last edited by Cougar Moon; 3rd-December-2014, 10:48.
                            So I walked as day was dawning
                            Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
                            Where we once watched the row boats landing
                            By the broad majestic shannon

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
                              Fitzy. Grandpa is quite correct. over in the uk the blue cable or the black cable which is usually used as a neutral is often used (when spare) as an extra live or what we would call a switch wire. to allow other future users to understand that it is not a neutral good practice is to sleeve it red or to put brown tape around it, (old fashioned as red is the norm), this signifies that it is a live or can become live and is not a neutral so dont touch it.
                              I would suggest to you that you find which fuse or circuit breaker relates to the fitting you are working on and take it out or switch it off and then when you install the new fitting ensure that the existing wiring is fitted into the new connector blocks exactly the same way as it is now then you should be ok.

Valencia. A normal dual plastic connector has 4 screws however these are 2 connections with 2 screws in each only so as to ensure a good connection. I would take grandpa's advice and twist the 2 earth's together and put them into one side of your dual connector (or if you have a single connector put them into this) and then screw the bejaysus out of them. Dont leave any metal of strands of metal of the earth's (or any conductor) hanging out of a connector as they could come into contact with other wires or the casing of the fitting. Make sure they are in each connector blocks properly
                              Cheers Cougar many thanks to you. That seems to have worked out fine, all four up and working.
                              Sincere thanks
                              Con Artist

Comment

Working...
                              X