Bbc television centre

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbc television centre

Guys, just read TVC is no more, gutted, it was sold off last year for a large sum of money. I am sure that many of us have a big gra for companies we worked for, for me it was BBc television, spent ten years there working there as a Sparks and it was one hell of an employer. But more than that it was the people I worked with and the craic.
    A lot of the time was spent chemically induced, as was the norm but some of the times we had were so funny.
    worked on shows such as:
    blue peter
    crackerjack
    wogan
    fools and horses
    keepin up appearances
    black adder
    russ abbot
    paul daniels
    later
    later with jules holland
    TOTP
    EASTENDERS
    Bottom
    jackanory

some stories
    worked on numerous comic reliefs, now there was a show where I was and my mates were constantly off our faces on show day. One evening when they had cut to a live segment we had to replace the bubble on a lamp, so from behind the set wobbled 6 sparks dressed in clown suits carrying a 16 foot step ladder. All of us were wasted, ( free beer and other mind altering chemicals had been freely availed of.)Lenny Henry and the asshole who can't pronounce his Rs were presenting.
    A comedy of errors, we couldn't get the ladder up, two working to get it up, 4 directing, audience thought it was part of the show, and were pissing themselves at these 6 idiots dresseds clowns
    15 minutes later still no fecking lamp done so we went back to the tech room coz our fish and chips had arrived to think the matter through. Lamp never got done but the ahole mentioned lost it because he was no longer star of the show. Stormed up to the gallery to complain to the producer, made a complete twat of himself.

Producer had to come and give us a lecture, yeah fat chance, she thought it was best thing she'd seen in years,
    if anyone has seen "the plank" that's what it was like.

top of the pops,
    best comment I ever heard was from a rigger to a young honey.
    cockney accent " dahlinn you got spanner eyes"
    little honey "wot u mean"
    sweetheart every time you look at me you tighten my nuts"

Blue peter
    london zoo brought a flying squirrel in to the studio
    Studio lamp blew, like a feckin grenade going off, squirrel freaked and disappeared into the rigging never to be seen again or so we thought.
    six weeks later we get a call from the canteen, something smells,
    we investigated and stuck in an extract fan was the rooting remains of the squirrel.
    ( actually didn't smell as bad as some of the items passed as food)

london zoo again
    brought in an elephant, but this week the show was from the old Lime Grove Studios.
    the studio was on the 4th Floor, so Nellie had to be transported in the scenery lift.
    to operate the lift a sparks used a dead mans handle, so my mate Joe Jackson was volunteered by the rest of us while drinking in the BBC bar,
    So joe start the lift and Nellie is Chained to the lift, but she panics dislodges the lift from the runners and it stalls.
    if you know lifts, you have to wind them up because of the counter weights, so we did this and took a few minutes, we opened the door, and by this time Nellie had been sedated and came out unharmed, but poor feckin Joe, his memories are of seeing the tail go up and a continuos wall of elephant **** coming at him, he staggered out looking like a mudman from Flash Gordon, but to make matters worse the guys recorded it, made the internal BBC Xmas video 3 years in a row.

loved my time there, sad to see such an institution reduced to what it is now.
    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Brilliant stories Treaty. Thanks for sharing
    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Encore, more, more.

Comment

Need to remember this line!

top of the pops,
        best comment I ever heard was from a rigger to a young honey.
        cockney accent " dahlinn you got spanner eyes"
        little honey "wot u mean"
        sweetheart every time you look at me you tighten my nuts"
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Lovely iconic building, too. What's to become of it?
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Some bits of it e.g. The hub & TC1 the biggest studio are subject to a protection order. I thinks it's going to end up as apartments, hotel, cinema though.

I can't understand the Brits obsession with dismantling the BBC and the NHS. They are destroying two amazing institutions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
              Some bits of it e.g. The hub & TC1 the biggest studio are subject to a protection order. I thinks it's going to end up as apartments, hotel, cinema though.

I can't understand the Brits obsession with dismantling the BBC and the NHS. They are destroying two amazing institutions.
              They're reminders that non-profit driven, publicly owned institutions can do good things.

So they have to be dismantled in the name of competition and private profit.

They'll mourn for them when they're gone, just as they're now wistful about British Rail.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Great respect for the BBC but before we get too nostalgic, let's not forget Jimmy Savile et al thrived in this era too.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  They're reminders that non-profit driven, publicly owned institutions can do good things.

So they have to be dismantled in the name of competition and private profit.

They'll mourn for them when they're gone, just as they're now wistful about British Rail.
                  Yep. I don't understand why the public swallow it though. I guess it's consistently shoved down their throats by the private media.

If the BBC goes then you'll see US like ad breaks every 5 minutes on sky before you can say 'Rupert Murdoch is an a$$hol€'

Comment

Originally posted by Armin Tamzarian View Post
                    Great respect for the BBC but before we get too nostalgic, let's not forget Jimmy Savile et al thrived in this era too.
                    True, but they also thrived in commercial TV.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Swanson View Post
                      Yep. I don't understand why the public swallow it though. I guess it's consistently shoved down their throats by the private media.

If the BBC goes then you'll see US like ad breaks every 5 minutes on sky before you can say 'Rupert Murdoch is an a$$hol€'
                      I'm not sure there's much public desire for it. There's no broad support for attacks on the BBC or NHS, and polling shows that there's support for renationalising the railways.

Though we're at risk of derailing the thread. It was more entertaining when men were getting caught in lifts with catastrophically ****ting elephants
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

A friend was a PM there for a few years (he was actually the PM for iPlayer - quiet a feather in ones hat!) but he'd get us tickets for all sorts of shows. Great crack.

Though possibly the only place in London that more coke is taken than in the City. The queue to get into a cubicle in the john was almost comical.

The W1A spoof mockumentary is worth a catch up if you can find it.
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Working...
                        X