Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coffee thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Coffee thread

    Perhaps if we come across some decent coffee be it ground, beans or just a bloody good cuppa you had somewhere then perhaps we can give each other a heads up on here.

    I just bought 250g of Pónaire indian blend ground yesterday €6.50. I tried it last night and this morning in the French Press and I'm disappointed. It's fairly weak and has a bitter taste.

    Costa are selling beans at their applegreen shop in birdhill and as lidl are selling me a coffee grinder today I wonder if anyone can recommend the beans? They also have ground for sale too. I think it was €6.75 per 250g.
    So I walked as day was dawning
    Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
    Where we once watched the row boats landing
    By the broad majestic shannon

    #2
    3fe on Grand Canal Street in Dublin - quite possibly the best coffee this country has to offer!! It's an art with them
    "They think they know us, but they haven't a clue"

    Comment


      #3
      Lidl do pods for Nespresso machines and they're quite good.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by tmunster View Post
        Lidl do pods for Nespresso machines and they're quite good.
        My opinion on them was that they were manky. But I like strong black coffee so maybe they are ok with milk and sugar.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
          My opinion on them was that they were manky. But I like strong black coffee so maybe they are ok with milk and sugar.
          No, you're right - they're manky.

          Comment


            #6
            Lidl's Gold brick is good quality and a reasonable price for your everyday coffee.
            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

            Comment


              #7
              Papa's Bistro on Denmark St in Limerick. It's on the junction where BB's and Zweton are.

              Comment


                #8
                Mahers coffee in Cork are pretty darn good. Their Blend Six is a top notch blend for drip coffee.
                For day to day beans keep an eye out for the Italian specials in Lidl. They have 1kg bags of both Espresso (which is fantastic) and a regular blend for drip / french press (which isn't as nice as the espresso blend) for 8euro. And sometimes if they haven't sold them, 4euro

                Haven't tried the Costa beans yet but stay away from Starbucks. They deliberately over roast the beans for the milky drinks.
                Hibernicis natione, Mumhan per gratiam Dei

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by blackandwhite View Post
                  Papa's Bistro on Denmark St in Limerick. It's on the junction where BB's and Zweton are.
                  Was the one once known as Papparazzi? Wonderful food there, and decent coffee.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                    Lidl's Gold brick is good quality and a reasonable price for your everyday coffee.
                    For some reason I don't pretend to know, it gives excellent results with a stovetop mocha pot.
                    Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                      Was the one once known as Papparazzi? Wonderful food there, and decent coffee.
                      Yes, they changed to Papa's over the summer, same staff, food and coffee.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        If you're in Ennis stop into Suas Coffee in Ennis (top floor of Carrig Donn). They take their coffee very seriously (in a good way). Coffee is always beautifully smooth and strong although they'll make it whatever way you like it no questions asked.
                        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                        Dalai Lama

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by at henry View Post
                          No, you're right - they're manky.
                          They're worse than manky they're foul, insipid, grainy, with a tinge of chemical tasting from the plastic capsule itself, and they ruin your machine with constant use (again the plastic).
                          Last edited by trixie; 7th-November-2014, 17:01.
                          Ta an draoicht ar ais aris

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by John123 View Post
                            If you're in Ennis stop into Suas Coffee in Ennis (top floor of Carrig Donn). They take their coffee very seriously (in a good way). Coffee is always beautifully smooth and strong although they'll make it whatever way you like it no questions asked.
                            It's an oasis in an otherwise barren wasteland. They use 3FE as their coffee of choice.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ennis is a lovely town...confused by that comment.
                              \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                              Dalai Lama

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X