Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dubai and UAE - any expat tips?

Well folks,

Today I resigned my job to take up an offer from an organisation based in Dubai, with the intention of landing out there late Jan with the better half and sprogling arriving a month or so later.

Anyone have any experience of the region, tips on neighbourhoods to look at houses in, recommendations on where to find decent beer, dire apocalyptic warnings or anything else that might help with the planning?

Thanks in advance!
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
    Well folks,

Today I resigned my job to take up an offer from an organisation based in Dubai, with the intention of landing out there late Jan with the better half and sprogling arriving a month or so later.

Anyone have any experience of the region, tips on neighbourhoods to look at houses in, recommendations on where to find decent beer, dire apocalyptic warnings or anything else that might help with the planning?

Thanks in advance!
    It's very hot !

Comment

Will put you in touch with a family member who's working in the general region.
      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Isn't the entire economy based on the exploitation of the poor and underpriveleged of the third world forced to work in unspeakable conditions? Probably best not to mention that while you are there
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

I'm of no use but I want to wish you and your family all the very best in your new life.
          Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

All the best with that Balla
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Dubai and UAE - any expat tips?

McGettigans bar at Jumeirah Lake Towers is your spot for beer and rugby matches. Barasti beach bar is another good spot. Rents are on the up again so recommendations on apartments/housing would depend on budget
              Last edited by Viigand; 28th-October-2014, 21:25.

Comment

Spent some time in Saudi and was a frequent visitor to Abu Dhabi. Life is very different to what we are used to, but change us no bad thing. Most Westerners live in compounds which are walled, secured camps where "normal western life" continues out of sight.
                i lived in and among the general populace as was glad I did so. Life in the compounds can be artificial and plastic, rather like Dubai itself. Scratch the surface and the exploitation is obvious.
                Go with an open mind and embrace the Arab culture, I met some of the nicest people in Saudi, try not to be another Ex-pat. Respect local norms and you'll have a great experience.
                Forget about the pub scene, there isn't one. Bars such as there are any are in hotels, and are generally wall to wall with hookers and shady types.
                Best of luck, it's a very interesting part of the world. What line of work are you going out to?
                A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Dubai very different to Saudi, expats can get a beer license so you will be able to buy for home consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                    Isn't the entire economy based on the exploitation of the poor and underpriveleged of the third world forced to work in unspeakable conditions? Probably best not to mention that while you are there
                    Not the entire economy. And I suspect that those in the west drinking coffee and tea, eating chocolate and South American beef, buying clothes stitched in Bangladesh, burning oil, tapping on iPhones etc are probably just a bit more comfortable at their degree of geographical remove.

I gave it a lot of consideration (as you might think) before deciding that my notion that my current lifestyle isn't based on just as much inequality is probably a delusion.

I'll leave the geopolitical discussion for other threads from there!
                    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

You will enjoy the tax rate though, your take home paywill double even if you got no increase in comp.

Comment

Best wishes to you and yours BB. It's a brave call to make.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                          Dubai very different to Saudi, expats can get a beer license so you will be able to buy for home consumption.
                          Once you settle in KSA and make some contacts, everything is available for a price. It's a bit like 50s / 60s Ireland, people choose what religious aspects suit them.
                          A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Good luck BB. Hope it all goes well for you

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                              You will enjoy the tax rate though, your take home paywill double even if you got no increase in comp.
                              Housing is biting a chunk out of that - costs a fortune - but it will make a big impact.

The plan is four or five years and then back to London.

Thanks for the good wishes all. I managed to find McGettigans on my trip out there, but planning on seeing a slightly broader slice of international life when settled

Comment

Working...
                              X