Top Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sewa View Post
    The best car show by a distance for my money is Wheeler Dealers. That's actually a proper car based show and the sillyness / celebrity angle is kept to a minimum.
    I enjoy that show too. I've met both Brewer and Ed. Nice guys.

Have a look at Car S.O.S. - real car rescues with a real life element attached. Tim and Fuzz are great.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
      Why change an unbelievably successful format?
      It was getting tired though. Instead of innovating they were just getting bigger, louder faster. You can have too much of a good thing.
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Top Gear

Originally posted by sewa View Post
        The best car show by a distance for my money is Wheeler Dealers. That's actually a proper car based show and the sillyness / celebrity angle is kept to a minimum.
        Yup, love Wheeler Dealers as well. They did a 1980s Mercedes 500 SEC on the most recent episode which was great. I'd love to get a mid-80s 280SL at some stage myself.
        Last edited by Viigand; 22-November-2016, 17:47.

Comment

Wheeler Dealers is good and Car SOS is very good too.

But the ratings and clout of Top Gear - now the Grand Tour gives them unrivalled access to machinery very few others on TV get close to. Its a completely different program.

Getting the La Ferrari, the McLaren P1 and the Porsche 918 Spyder together and head to head like that is not something I think you will see anywhere else on TV. The M2 looked well too. They made a good point about it too - it is widely regarded as the best of the current Crop and harks back to the E36 type M.

I understand that people find the gags and banter too rigid or fake but calling something scripted - as many have - is hardly a criticism. The greatest movies of all time are completely scripted. A huge % of comedians work off a completely rehearsed and scripted dialogue etc etc. It is very silly at times but it is supposed to completely silly. Its not supposed to be Live TV. Its a pre recorded rehearsed program.

If anyone wants reviews of more realistic cars for regular folks or more straight forward reviews and test drives of performance cars Youtube is the place to look imo, not TV. The best programs simply about cars are to be found on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
            I enjoy that show too. I've met both Brewer and Ed. Nice guys.

Have a look at Car S.O.S. - real car rescues with a real life element attached. Tim and Fuzz are great.
            Tim is hilarious

Comment

Ah boys you forget Mobster, fast n loud and lesser fired up garage

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                Tim is hilarious

Nice Daimler (Dart ?) restore last night
                "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
                  Tim is hilarious

Nice Daimler (Dart ?) restore last night
                  "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns :_skull__rvmp_by_bad

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                    Yip.

Its on Amazon TV or Amazon Prime Video.

Not available in Ireland until December.

I intend signing up as soon as its available - to Prime - for a its TV, Book, Music, Video/ Film Libraries as well as the free UK postage. . . . .once they make it (not the postage obviously) all available in Ireland.

But for now I have no qualms about watching it online from 3d party websites as Amazon didn't get it together in time.
                    Prime Video has launched @ €2.99/month for 6 months then €5.99/month thereafter.
                    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Reviews have been generally negative. Apparently it's just the same as the past 8 or so seasons of Top Gear where everything is obviously scripted and painfully unfunny. It's amazing how far they've drifted from what was, in fairness, at one stage a pretty entertaining show. The problem is when it's so heavily scripted it becomes pretty clear that the hosts are catastrophic dickheads.

First episode is supposed to be OK so might download that. Won't be paying for it though as I'm morally opposed to giving Jeremy Clarkson money.
                      "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenta View Post
                        Reviews have been generally negative. Apparently it's just the same as the past 8 or so seasons of Top Gear where everything is obviously scripted and painfully unfunny. It's amazing how far they've drifted from what was, in fairness, at one stage a pretty entertaining show. The problem is when it's so heavily scripted it becomes pretty clear that the hosts are catastrophic dickheads.

First episode is supposed to be OK so might download that. Won't be paying for it though as I'm morally opposed to giving Jeremy Clarkson money.
                        You'll get as far as the stage they set up in the desert in Cali then want to switch it off. There's an inordinately long circle jerk embiggening each other's heads.

I DL'd the latest one set in england to give it a second chance, same script, different country. How they blew such a gigantic budget on a copy and paste job is startling, all the innovation of a fax repair man.
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Yesmovies.to has them all to stream, I'm a big car fan and I have to say its drifting even further away from being a car show than top gear had. Predictable jokes, classless stabs at the old show & the new TG. I've always been a fan of Chris Harris on YouTube so hopefully he'll have more of a presence in the new season of TG, he's a phenomenal driver and can express himself very well

Comment

I watched the first one. It was good. Yes jokes were weak and the format so like the old..... But the cars in that episode saved it for me.

I watched episode 2.

Got half way, lost interest and turned it off. Haven't gone back since.

I wouldn't mind if it was a rehash of the old once it was good.....but it wasn't even.

The old episode where they made Ambulances is still on first viewing, as funny and entertaining as anything I've seen on TV.

Comment

The only thing that is startling about GT is how Clarkson manages to haul his ever expanding gut into the super cars.
                              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

New new Top Gear on now on the Beeb. My 3 fave presenters from Old new Top Gear are back. Am liking the new studio. A lot. There are 7 episodes. We shall see how it goes.
                                "Strike me flamin' handsome!!!" - Alf Stewart

His body is only a fuel tank for his micky - a work colleague talking about a fella he knows.

Comment

Working...
                                X