Should voting be compulsory?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should voting be compulsory?

Richie Darling ton on the sky appears to say yes.
    Last edited by ustix; 18th-September-2014, 09:48.
    Gwan Joe!!

Yes with a box for none of the above. Works well in Aus I believe.

Comment

I used to be in favour. But, to be honest, I think it might mask the general disenchantment with politics that low turnouts reveal, and create illusory mandates on a "best of a bad bunch" basis.

I think if it were compulsory there would have to be a "none of the above" option, but it would have to go further than that. There would have to be some sort of constitutional response to "none of the above" recording above a certain vote percentage, and I'm not sure what that would be bar re-running until people got bored and voted for the least objectionable bollix they could see.

I think it's more pressing that we tackle issues of democracy in other ways - making sure that it's easy for people to be selected as candidates who aren't professional political types, stamping on the legalised grafting that we politely call "lobbying", instituting power of recall for elected representatives etc.

I don't think compulsory voting would solve any of the actual issues.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
        Yes with a box for none of the above. Works well in Aus I believe.
        Agreed. I would dearly love to see our democracy cope with countless unfilled seats as a result.

I suspect few of them would be missed and we'd discover a radically slimmed-down representative body works just fine thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
          Agreed. I would dearly love to see our democracy cope with countless unfilled seats as a result.

I suspect few of them would be missed and we'd discover a radically slimmed-down representative body works just fine thanks very much.
          There would be no unfilled seats. If there's a 5 seater constituancy, 5 people will get elected even if none of them make the quota. They only need to have more votes than the 6th candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallyman View Post
            There would be no unfilled seats. If there's a 5 seater constituancy, 5 people will get elected even if none of them make the quota. They only need to have more votes than the 6th candidate.
            Not if they introduced a rule that allowed "none of the above" to be "elected". So in a Three seater, with PR, if "none of the above" got 25% of the vote ( a Quota), then only two of the seats would be filled. All candidates would have to reach a quota to be elected.

As Red October said above and to quote Gilbert and Sullivan, "there'd none of them be missed"

Comment

I would say YES
              but am swayed by BB's points

It's effectiveness being varied across various electoral systems

I would like to see a minimum turnout % imposed
              especailly for such constitutional changes as Scottish Independence or leaving the EU !
              In the UK we have bloody useless Police Commissioners who get voted 6 figure salaries with paltry % turnouts !
              Just holding a vote doesn't mean democracy is working !

Comment

Working...
              X