Cork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cork

A great bunch of lads. This seems a good place to start a thread about the glory of Cark and all who dwell within't her.
    Last edited by Cowboy; 18th-September-2014, 08:11.
    I am the million man.

Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
      A great bunch of lads. This seems a good place to start a thread about the glory of Cark and all who dwell within't her.
      Be careful now. Every post tonight, on any subject it seems, is in danger of getting a frenzied response by our Cork-based posters.

But I love Cork. My daughter's just started college in UCC and she loves the place too.
      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Is the only purpose of this thread to see just how fast a thread can descend into chaos because I cannot see any other purpose for it.

PS: Spell the bloody place right will you, i have never heard anybody mangle it the way you have.
        "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

No its not to cause chaos GS, we've had threads on limerick and other places before, I've changed the title. This is a thread about the city and county, things to do and see etc. A thread of interesting information to visitors and rebels alike

(and ye all call it Caark)
          I am the million man.

Comment

And Minnie's young fella, Michael Donovan came out of it.
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Roundabout watching in Mallow, a must see on any visit to Cork.
              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                An Domhnal Carkery an all.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I loves a trip through the Jack Lynch to Wilton when the sun is coming out.
                  Gwan Joe!!

Comment

In order to pronounce the name of the City correctly, one needs to refer to "Up the Bare Stairs" by Sean O Faolain, wherein the Narrator describes meeting a gentleman on the Dublin to Cork train and knows that the gentleman is from Cork by the way he says "Cork"

I'll try and find the actual quotation later.
                    EDIT

" As he received his ticket he asked "What time do we arrive in Cork?" he said the word Cork as only a Corkman can say it, giving the r its distinctively delicate palatal trill, not saying "Corrrk" or "Cohk". he was unmistakably a Corkonian"

Moving on, as someone who has lived in Cork for the last 30 years, almost, I have made a number of discoveries.
                    • When dealing with Cork people, you must remember your ABCDs: Ah But Cork is Different.
                    • Cork people regard Cork as the "Centre of the Universe"
                    • Cork people use "up the country" not in its geographical meaning but to signify something that is of inferior quality.
                    • With very few exceptions, when any form of entertainment is provided in Cork, unless there is a strong Cork connection, the locals will show little if any interest.
                    • Conversely, if the Cork Public is provided with a successful team, playing at the top of their League with locals involved, they will flock in their thousands to see it. (During the Basketball boom of the 80s, there were more people locked out of the Neptune Stadium than went to see Cork City who were just starting out.)
                    • Cork Sporting followers are a very promiscuous lot. They do, however need to be Wooed.
                    Last edited by Piquet; 18th-September-2014, 15:54. Reason: Found the quotation

Comment

And the Donovan, Rosser too
                      Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Piquet you chaos dissenter!
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Some fascinating maps here
                          Last edited by Piquet; 18th-September-2014, 09:45. Reason: Link appeared to be down

Comment

Is there anything to do during the day in Cork?
                            Down there on Saturday for the day, with time to kill....suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                              Is there anything to do during the day in Cork?
                              Down there on Saturday for the day, with time to kill....suggestions.
                              You could visit de English Market, sit out and people watch in Parnell Place bus station, but D'Echo outside the GPO on Oliver Plunkett Street. You could however do what most other people do on a Saturdsy and hang out in Mahon Point.
                              We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                              Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Working...
                              X