EU Immigration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EU Immigration

So differing reports from Calais of anywhere from 85 to 250 immigrants climbing over the fence and trying to jump on a ferry just to get into the UK, a shantytown of 10,000 plus people just waiting their chance. Also people are regularly dying on overfull and not seaworthy boats while trying to get into Italy. Seems a shift in Italian policy is encouraging even more people to try it in crappy unsuitable boats as they reckon the italians will come fish them out. Is there anything Europe can do? Should we just open the borders completely or should we just start shipping people back to where they came from?
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Keep sending them back, once its stopped the floodgates will open.

On a related matter, I saw this during the weeks, I only clicked on because the yer man looked like a camper version of Freddie Mercury.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28953237

Comment

Quite a strange article. Imagine things being so desperate that you'd prefer to live in Slough or Bradford
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

How do we reconcile our closed borders, direct provision (some have been on this for 14 years and are still waiting) and our lobbying of the White House for amnesty for illegal Irish in USA?
        A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Well the Irish going to US are often high skilled and going to work, also they integrate fully. Thats boosts your economy, this is doing the opposite, also the ones in Calais are ignoring European law by not applying in the country they landed in so they are effectively criminals
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
            Well the Irish going to US are often high skilled and going to work, also they integrate fully. Thats boosts your economy, this is doing the opposite, also the ones in Calais are ignoring European law by not applying in the country they landed in so they are effectively criminals
            How do you know the skill set of asylum seekers? / immigrants?
            The Irish in USA may well be going to work, that doesn't stop some from being illegal. We will not allow asylum seeks work, further alienating and demonising them.
            If we insist on placing people n centres like Foynes or Mosney how are they to integreate?

If someone has no right to be here then return them on the next flight, why does it take years to ascertain their status?

Comment

They should let anyone in who's willing to pay a social insurance fee for the first year of their stay, and give them an unlimited visa for that period. The fee could be paid by companies, friends and relatives in the EU or by the immigrants themselves. As long as the EU is covered for any possible social costs associated with their stay, there is no sensible reason to exclude migrants. They'll contribute to the economy by working and the insurance fee should also be a nice little earner for the exchequer.

Comment

Bringing it closer to home

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...jail-1.1918384

Limerick asylum seekers’ centre ‘a jungle and a jail’

Group working to support rights of migrants wants the centre closed

Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                  How do we reconcile our closed borders, direct provision (some have been on this for 14 years and are still waiting) and our lobbying of the White House for amnesty for illegal Irish in USA?
                  Self Interest,

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                    Bringing it closer to home

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/socia...jail-1.1918384

Limerick asylum seekers’ centre ‘a jungle and a jail’

Group working to support rights of migrants wants the centre closed
                    More profitable barbarity from the Irish "care" sector.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                      How do you know the skill set of asylum seekers? / immigrants?
                      The Irish in USA may well be going to work, that doesn't stop some from being illegal. We will not allow asylum seeks work, further alienating and demonising them.
                      If we insist on placing people n centres like Foynes or Mosney how are they to integreate?

If someone has no right to be here then return them on the next flight, why does it take years to ascertain their status?
                      What a strange mix of liberal and conservative views. On one hand you are saying let them work, stay where they like and integrate, then you say stick them on next plane home, quite odd
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        What a strange mix of liberal and conservative views. On one hand you are saying let them work, stay where they like and integrate, then you say stick them on next plane home, quite odd
                        Nothing odd at all. If people have a right to be here then let them integrate, work, pay taxes etc. If they have no right to be here then return them on the next available flight.

You're making a case for illegal Irish in America saying that they are highly skilled and going to work, even if that were true they are still illegal. So while we lobby Obama for amnesty we are herding people with similar situations into de facto detention centres, not allowing them to work which separates them from general society and gives the dross of our society a handy target when the economy slows. Quite odd.

Comment

They can't just horse people back onto planes without due process, this being ireland all our legal types are busy pissing about on forums so that means due process takes years
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

It's a suspicious arrangement by elements within the state. We are paying property owners to kennel human beings, reducing inmates to the status of serfs and beggars and then dragging out the investigative process to see if they should be deported or not, from 3-4 months, to a decade or even more.

It's simply cruelty but there's plenty profiting from it.
                            Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

We could try to fix the fundamental issue - help with developing those countries economies so they don't see the need to risk their lives to illegally flock to Europe.
                              "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Working...
                              X