speeding vans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speeding vans

I got caught on the r445 late at night at "rivers" which I expect means near finnegans? I'm being fined for driving at 70 in a 60 zone so I'm a small bit annoyed....more at myself for not noticing the van.
    I'm in 2 minds whether to pay it and argue my case in court. .mindyou I dont suppose I have a case?

Can anyone advise me?
    So I walked as day was dawning
    Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
    Where we once watched the row boats landing
    By the broad majestic shannon

Fair cop, guv...
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I was told by one of the van operators lately that they set a tolerance of 9kmh in all speed zones so my guess is that you'd be risking double points if you chose the court route.

Comment

How are the locations of these actually decided? They say they set up in "accident black spots", but the vast majority I see regularly are on roads and in areas where I've never encountered an accident in all my years of driving.

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
        --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I'm gutted. I think I can run faster than 70kph

Comment

Originally posted by Kavy View Post
            I was told by one of the van operators lately that they set a tolerance of 9kmh in all speed zones so my guess is that you'd be risking double points if you chose the court route.
            I heard a tolerance of 10% but also heard of a Guard rubbishing this.

Comment

Go to court and you may gat it thrown out like the judge in Galway does, or you may get a judge who automatically doubles all fines, you decide.
              Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Average View Post
                How are the locations of these actually decided? They say they set up in "accident black spots", but the vast majority I see regularly are on roads and in areas where I've never encountered an accident in all my years of driving.
                http://www.statcentral.ie/viewStat.asp?id=254
                Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Speeding van frequents the main road between Coachman's pub and Airside Retail Park in Swords, Dublin. For those unfamiliar with the stretch of road its not unlike motorway. The speed limit here is 60 km yet you can drive a windy secondry road with limits of 80km/100km set.. Taking fines off people for doing just over 60km on good straight road is nothing short of a money making exercise. Nothing at all to do with with safety, Rant over!!

Comment

Ye have a point RUA. Paradoxically I'm after writing to phyll bugler in an attempt to get speed bumps installed near our school so I feel an awful eejit. Anyways if I'm right where they got me was either between the motorway exit and annacotty industrial estate traffic lights or past finnegans on/close to the annacotty bypass. Clearly it's a 60 zone-I didn't know that although I should have, however is that a black spot? Is that straight piece of road really dangerous with a fellow driving at 70kph? I'm not so sure.

Stop press: someone's told me to ignore it as for some reason it probably won't go any further...is there something wrong with their computer?
                    Last edited by Cougar Moon; 11th-August-2014, 15:26.

Comment

not sure if anyone is familiar with this road, but a while back they put up speed limit signs of 80kmph. someone, local residant perhaps, put reflective stickers over bits of the 8 to make it a 30 instead. the sign was either replaced since or the stickers removed.
                      I know, its a limit not a target but to go 80km on the roads around there would be lunacy so why have the limit that high in the first place
                      "Some people don't know their easy lives... I wouldn't be so ungrateful" - Fiacre Ryan - #AutismAndMe

Comment

I was sure I'd gotten caught fairly recently. I saw the van late enough and braked from maybe 60kph to 50kph. Seems I was lucky or in the buffer zone.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
                          Ye have a point RUA. Paradoxically I'm after writing to phyll bugler in an attempt to get speed bumps installed near our school so I feel an awful eejit. Anyways if I'm right where they got me was either between the motorway exit and annacotty industrial estate traffic lights or past finnegans on/close to the annacotty bypass. Clearly it's a 60 zone-I didn't know that although I should have, however is that a black spot? Is that straight piece of road really dangerous with a fellow driving at 70kph? I'm not so sure.

Stop press: someone's told me to ignore it as for some reason it probably won't go any further...is there something wrong with their computer?
                          Bad advise I think if you ignore it and do not pay the fine you end up in court with the usual doubling of points and fine I believe.
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Hugged Rugger View Post
                            not sure if anyone is familiar with this road, but a while back they put up speed limit signs of 80kmph. someone, local residant perhaps, put reflective stickers over bits of the 8 to make it a 30 instead. the sign was either replaced since or the stickers removed.
                            I know, its a limit not a target but to go 80km on the roads around there would be lunacy so why have the limit that high in the first place
                            It's there by default as a rural road.
                            The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                              I was sure I'd gotten caught fairly recently. I saw the van late enough and braked from maybe 60kph to 50kph. Seems I was lucky or in the buffer zone.
                              Define recently. You could still get the letter from Thurles.
                              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Working...
                              X