BBQ - Charcoal or Gas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ - Charcoal or Gas?

Well.....going to purchase a BBQ...do people recommend a gas or Charcoal?

Gas isn't a barbecue IMHO.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Bought a Webber kettle barbecue 5 or 6 years ago its great. Charcoal all the way gas just burns a lot.
      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
        Bought a Webber kettle barbecue 5 or 6 years ago its great. Charcoal all the way gas just burns a lot.
        Thats the model I was looking at Cloudy.

Comment

Although I'd agree with B.A. You'd probably make more use out of a gas grill all year round as its less hassle, and you've more control.
          + Less smoke

Generally Irish kitchens don't have flame grills. So if you are into your steaks, gas is great as you can shove on a few outside on the grill as you finish the mushroom and congac sauce. Even if it's pissing down.
          The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
          Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Glorob knows his bbq's. His current one is gas powered I think.
            Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
            Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
              Glorob knows his bbq's. His current one is gas powered I think.

I have replaced that one with a charcoal bbq. They both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are planning a small number of bbq's a year for under 8 people a time I would suggest a charcoal bbq. If you plan on making frequent use of the bbq or catering for larger numbers I would go with a gas one.

I have cooked for up to 100 people and would only use a gas bbq if cooking for more than 10 or 12 at a time.
              Last edited by glorob; 23rd-July-2014, 11:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
                Although I'd agree with B.A. You'd probably make more use out of a gas grill all year round as its less hassle, and you've more control.
                + Less smoke

Generally Irish kitchens don't have flame grills. So if you are into your steaks, gas is great as you can shove on a few outside on the grill as you finish the mushroom and congac sauce. Even if it's pissing down.
                There are two purchases I would make if the Irish climate was consistently drier and could be relied on to be so; a decent charcoal BBQ and a motorbike.

We get rain and lots of it.

Save yourself the hassle and get a gas grill. Won't taste as nice as charcoal BBQ cooked grub - if it's been done right; invariably over here it hasn't anyway, so that point is likely moot.

Charcoal Barbies in this climate is the middle-aged suburban Dad's equivalent of coming out of the hipster closet.

Next you'll be wearing leather bracelets and not shaving at w/ends, ya rebel ya...
                Last edited by Red October; 23rd-July-2014, 11:03.

Comment

I was recently given a gas BBQ, tis grand, but i've always preferred the charcoal.
                  Does anybody know if i'd be ok to just disconnect the gas from it and just fill it up with charcoal. Are there any negative conotations to doing that that i'm not aware of?

Roger Roger. What's our vector, Victor?
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------
                  RIP Anthony Foley - The greatest of great Munster men.
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

If you're only going to give it light use, then could I suggest you indulge yourself with a bog standard basic black enamel charcoal bowl BBQ for use over the next month or so and then if you're of a mind to get serious, look for the bargain big ticket item at the end of the Summer when you stand a much better chance of not being hauled over the coals on price.

Did this 10 years ago when we moved in. Waited until mid-Sept and picked up nearly 500 worth of kit for about 200; having spent about 60 on somethign to tide us over. 10 years later the gas grill is still going strong.

Comment

Cowboy has a large gas grill and he gets great results with the whole 'bbq flavour'.
                      The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                      Gwan the Welsh

Comment

I have found that the key to the gas grill is in the vigilance. Keep rotating the food around the levels and also keep lot of various marinades and brushes to hand to keep the surface of the meat moist.

Different brushes for each meat and for each marinade, just to be safe and for the sake of taste.

When you get flareups liberally douse with beer. Imparts flavour and is also the perfect excuse for never being seen standing there without a beer in hand...

Actually scratch all of that; the key is getting to know your butcher and getting decent raw materials to cook to start with. Your weapon of choice and the tools you use are just down to preferences. Spend on the mate as they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
                          Thats the model I was looking at Cloudy.
                          I'd also get one of these gets the whole prep time over much quicker and you don't need to worry about the weather as much.
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

We've a webber on the balcony, great yoke, spatchcocked a chicken, marinated it in tikka and yogurt and cooked it on the grill for about an hour. To this day it's the nicest, juiciest and flavoursome chicken we've ever cooked.

We don't clean the grill, at all, and fire her up seriously hot at the start of every Barbie cook, we seem to get a good BBQ flavour off the food that way.

It's pretty light on gas too if I'm honest
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Have a gas grill myself, I love it. The vapouriser gives you the BBQ flavour due to the juices flowing on to it and eventually carbonising due to the heat. I cook with it all year round and it's pretty easy on the propane.
                              "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X