Clear All

Snámh Lough Derg - a swim from Portumna to Killaloe in 1 day

Click image for larger version

Name:	snámh lough derg1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	2497524
    Hi fellow forum members,

This coming Saturday (June 21st) myself & former Munster/Ireland Ladies Rugby player Rosie Foley are hoping to swim the length of Lough Derg from Portumna to Killaloe (approx 38km).
    We're hoping the swim will take us no more 15 hours (conditions allowing etc!).

After 6 months of tough training in the pool, sea & lake the big day is almost upon us.
    Our support crew is ready & we have decided on a 7am start on Saturday morning.

I've set up a facebook page (for those of you so inclined!):
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sn%C3...42?sk=timeline
    There's also a twitter feed that on the day the support crew will live tweet the swim progress:
    https://twitter.com/SnamhLoughDerg

Also I'm using this opportunity to raise some money for 2 charities; Irish Water Safety (http://www.iws.ie/) & the SOAR Foundation (http://www.soar.ie/). Have a look at their sites to see what good work both do in the community.
    I've set up an idonate page to help raise funds, so i would be very grateful for all and any contributions you could make to:
    http://www.idonate.ie/snamhloughderg

Thanks for your support!

James Lynch

Click image for larger version

Name:	10154243_1449782098595929_1711752296415047474_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	2497523
    “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Best of luck Rosie & James.

Comment

Best of Luck James and Rosie, tough job!!!!!! any help you need or anything you may think of you need more volunteers for give me a pvt message!!!!

Comment

Best of luck with this effort James and Rosie. Be proud!
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Ádh mór oraibh beirt, a mhic - sardhúshlán atá romhaibh ach tá me cinnte go n-éireoidh libh!
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Best of luck James and Rosie. Will be Tough going but it'll be worth it and for such good causes
            Swim regularly 2-3k a go in Lough Derg but at this time thoughts of swimming 10 times that in 1 go is frightening. Would love to do it some time in future though but an Ironman in 4/5 years time first....

Comment

Best of luck folks
              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                Best of luck James and Rosie. Will be Tough going but it'll be worth it and for such good causes
                Swim regularly 2-3k a go in Lough Derg but at this time thoughts of swimming 10 times that in 1 go is frightening. Would love to do it some time in future though but an Ironman in 4/5 years time first....
                It takes a bit of time getting up to the bigger distances, but if you're coming from a base of 2-3km a session you're in the same position i was up until january. In January i upped my pool sessions to 5km and increased my number of days swimming from 3 to 5. After that in february i tried to put in a 10km day once a week (2 X 5km sessions) and by the end of March i had gotten to be able to do a 15km & even a 20km in the pool (the biggest issue was boredom when all you see for hours at a time are white tiles!!).

I started in the open water again in May & built up to over 20km in the lake. This week is all about short swims & trying to keep healthy (that & carb loading in the lead up to saturday). I found it tough swimming & training as i was on my own most of the time in Galway, so the chance at swimming in the lake with Rosie & some of the support crew has been great over the past month or so.
                The biggest challenge has been the mental one for me as without a training partner you can allow self doubt to creep in & that can be catastrophic. I had a week of it in late April where i really struggled with confidence & my belief in my ability. It took some words, both harsh & kind from friends to help me through.

I applaud anyone who can do an IronMan, that is a huge commitment. Giving yourself the few years to build up to it is a sensible thing to do. I struggle with cycling, i always have done for some reason. I find it mind numbing so its my weakest part of a triathlon, the idea of an IronMan bike leg just freaks me out.

I'm looking forward to the challenge now & i'm confident that i'll get through it without too much trouble. I've built up a good support team of Kayakers & safety crew for the day, all of whom I know will push me to keep going even when i'm finding it tough. Thanks to all here for your kind words & support, it means a lot & it all helps more than you realise in terms of the mental aspect of the challenge.

If anyone here needs any help with swim training for events or otherwise, i'd be glad to help out whenever & however i can (from next Sunday on of course!).
                “People are broad-minded. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there's something wrong with him.” - Art Buchwald

Comment

A piece on my preperations for SnámhLoughDerg shot by a friend of mine over the past few months. All but the 'in the water' shots were shot using an iPhone & it was edited in iMovie on an ipad as part of RTE's MOJO (mobile journalism) initiative.

Last edited by James Lynch; 19th-June-2014, 18:01.

Comment

Fair f*cks to ya biy!
                    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Brilliant James!! The very best of luck! Would have loved to be out to meet your glorious and triumphant return to Killaloe tomorrow night but we have something on here. We'll be following you on the Twitter-thingy!
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Best of luck to you James!!!

Comment

Good luck James safe swimming and arrival in Killaloe.
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Best of luck Lynchie you freaking hero.

I'll send a donation through that page over the weekend.
                            "It’s not the team you support, it’s the club you should support. The team on the pitch will ebb and flow because that’s the nature of sport. No team has ever been successful decade on decade. The club has the history and that’s the passion you should have."

Comment

All the best tomorrow James.

Comment

Working...
                              X