X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lahinch_lass
    replied
    Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
    The power they have in the EP is extraordinary.
    I'm fairly sure the last EU treaty we voted on included giving that power to the EP, previously it had been not much more than a talk-shop while all the power was really residing in the the councils of ministers & the commission.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    It's ludicrous, we don't pay any attention to it

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...in-273166.html

European politics is complete and utter nonsense. No one knows what the people they are voting for represent, they operate at such a distance that no one gives a flying fup but yet they make decisions that are far more important than our local politicians we have some chance of knowing. Its all utter garbage. I am not euro sceptic yet but I am getting there!
    The power they have in the EP is extraordinary.

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    How much of his vote was personal and how much was FF is difficult to quantify.

According to a post further up this thread, around 60,000 voted for Crowley and no one else. If that's true, he had 120,000 votes that had a second preference. Hartley got 41.9% of Crowley's surplus, indicating that 50,000 ish voters went 1 Crowley, 2 Hartley.

That could be considered to be Crowley's "core FF" vote, with the rest being "personal".

Terms and conditions apply very approximate analysis.
    Is anyone surprised? Sure most Corkonians don't even recognise Dublin as the capital city let alone Brussels.

Leave a comment:

• rua13
    replied
    This man wasn't best pleased on the news yesterday evening

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    How much of his vote was personal and how much was FF is difficult to quantify.

According to a post further up this thread, around 60,000 voted for Crowley and no one else. If that's true, he had 120,000 votes that had a second preference. Hartley got 41.9% of Crowley's surplus, indicating that 50,000 ish voters went 1 Crowley, 2 Hartley.

That could be considered to be Crowley's "core FF" vote, with the rest being "personal".

Terms and conditions apply very approximate analysis.

Leave a comment:

• lahinch_lass
    replied
    some more info on Crowley's new party colleagues in europe - http://www.thejournal.ie/brian-crowl...34380-Jun2014/

heck even Michael Martin is calling a spade a spade on this one - http://www.thejournal.ie/martin-crow...35965-Jun2014/

I can not comprehend people who voted for Crowley when he had the worst record of all our MEP's for action in the european parliment... and don't even try the "he was sick" line 'cos 2 of the others who were only there 2 years still did double what he did.

Leave a comment:

• Thomond78
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
    180k people can't be all wrong surely?
    Given that there's 150,000 in Kerry, and looking at the creatures they elect, I'd say: safely so.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    I've no doubt thats a big factor Fitzy but many voted for him because he is a nice guy (an equally crap or perhaps even worse reason to vote for someone)

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Originally posted by Cougar Moon View Post
    20% plus of the electorate would still vote FF.

180k people voted for Crowley mainly because he is in a wheelchair.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoi...in-273166.html

European politics is complete and utter nonsense. No one knows what the people they are voting for represent, they operate at such a distance that no one gives a flying fup but yet they make decisions that are far more important than our local politicians we have some chance of knowing. Its all utter garbage. I am not euro sceptic yet but I am getting there!

Leave a comment:

• Cougar Moon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Given most Europeans are euro sceptic is this not a pro European move

Leave a comment:

• Piggybui
    replied
    I wouldn't be so certain that they are Eurosceptic - they just don't see Europe getting all the power though some members are more nationalist than others.

Leave a comment:

• fitzy73
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    One for Fitzy:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/polit...arty-1.1843337

You'd wonder what his motives are joining this eurosceptic group
    He campaigned on the basis of being pro Europe, and as soon as he gets back in, joins the anti Europeans.

What a prick.

Not that he will be arsed turning up anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X