No announcement yet.

Ireland South-Euro elections debate.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canvassing is dying I reckon. They could knock up some League of Ireland supporter and end up getting the head pucked off them.

All joking aside, I genuinely think the calling to houses might be on its last legs, if anybody wants information on a candidate they go online and get it. Plus, higher general education and a general erosion of certain old held views about society (bank managers and Parish Priests etcetera) they are far more likely to get hammered about real issues on more and more doorsteps.

Considering all the election posters, pamphleteering and volume of candidates running it must be one lucrative gravy train. Lotta people want council seats.
    I am the million man.

Comment

On the flip side, it's about the only time in life you get to answer your front door and just berate a stranger for little reason, and they'll stand there and take it for as long as they think they'll swing a vote out of you
      I am the million man.

Comment

It would great to see someone publically hold Crowley to account on what exactly the **** he actually does. Any candidate that would do so (aside from FG/Lab) would have my automatic first choice.

Flynn is a great, pro-active guy. Not one of the burn Rome revolutionists, just has a knowledgable and ethically correct position on the greatest swindle this Country has ever been subjected to.

I would be very comfortable giving votes to the new breed of SF people. From my experience in third level, they are attracting the progressive breed of new politicians with liberal views. The other parties are attracting their cousins.

I am a previous Green Party voter and want to vote for them again but feel Ryan needs to move along with any others who were involved in overseeing what they oversaw.
        "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

I presume the showing by SF in recent polls is based on the fact that local and european election success does not confer any power on this party. I presume that the Irish electorate would not actually put them in power in this country. Presume nothing I guess!
          Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined.*&nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by cornerboy View Post
            I presume the showing by SF in recent polls is based on the fact that local and european election success does not confer any power on this party. I presume that the Irish electorate would not actually put them in power in this country. Presume nothing I guess!
            It would not surprise me come the next GE is SF were an option to form a section of government I think a large majority of the electorate are heartily sick of what the 3 main stream parties have to offer. Given their percentage now and the large numbers of undecided they could even be a majority group in government.
            Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Wonder if Enda's calling up Barroso & Merkel in panic saying look what ye've done now, you've let loose the Shinners
              Con Artist

Comment

As it happens I meet Crowley in Cork airport every second week as he is heading for Brussels. He is a very intelligent and engaging man. I have no idea what he has done to annoy you all so much
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

They've given all the clowns a chance why not see what the rest of the circus has to offer?
                  We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                  Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                    As it happens I meet Crowley in Cork airport every second week as he is heading for Brussels. He is a very intelligent and engaging man. I have no idea what he has done to annoy you all so much
                    His roll call vote rate is less than 50%.

Since 2009 he has

Zero Motions for Resolution
                    Zero Written Declarations
                    Zero reports drafted

In that time he has asked 73 parliamentary questions, or average of 14.6 questions per year.

I have no idea how intelligent or engaging he is, but that record is appalling.
                    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I've no idea where you get the stats or even if they are relevant, my interest in European affairs runs as for as seeing if my train is on time or if I am due a tax rebate, woohoo as it happens I am
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

http://www.votewatch.eu/en/brian-crowley.html
                        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Since the Lisbon Treaty, with co decision the EP has significant powers and a good MEP can achieve far more than a TD as a legislator.

It is also sensible to vote for someone in the main groupings as they get the best positions on committees.

Comment

There was an article on either the times, examiner or journal site which had all the stats on the current Irish MEP's performances in Brussels. Crowley was worse than even the 2 labour MEPs who came in mid-term !! Crowley came in around UL canvassing when I was in college back in the 90's he was a waste of space then & it doesn't seem anything's changed in the ~20 years since. He talks a good game but does f-all to back it up.

might be useful reading - http://www.irishexaminer.com/electio...es-269361.html

the journal.ie on the South constituency - http://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-south-analysis-1464727-May2014/

Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
                              They've given all the clowns a chance why not see what the rest of the circus has to offer?
                              We could shoot Gerry Adams out of the cannon
                              "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterTel View Post
                                How could you tell them apart?
                                FG is your local solicitor, FF is your local auctioneer/publican?

Comment

Working...
                                X