Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain opens first PoundPub in Manchester

http://fullist.co.uk/2014/05/britain...es-manchester/

Think it could take off in Ireland? Obviously it would be based on Euros but the idea of budget alcohol in a bar setting, or do you think the alkies would ruin it for everyone?

Good idea or decline of modern man?
    Check out my blog - Taking the Epistle

Was in a pub in Manchester bout 8 years ago, it was a pound a pint ( of flat beer), horrible place
    The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Hopefully we draw Sale next year (are they even qualified) and the MRSC can use it as a meeting point.

Comment

I would have no objections, but if will never happen in Ireland because of the publicans lobby.

Also it would attract the creme de la creme of low life.
        A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

It would be a fair barometer of the local area.They generally reflect the lowest common denominator of the areas they serve at various times of the day and the week.

In London, the Wetherspoons on Whitehall, Marble Arch and in the City are good and cheap options, if a little cavernous.

The one on Tooting High Street is like an experiment in farming alkies to produce the smell of piss.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Despite the rise of the prohibitionists, the hand wringing, the self loathing, we're not even in the top 10 as boozers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...0-9357860.html

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              It would be a fair barometer of the local area.They generally reflect the lowest common denominator of the areas they serve at various times of the day and the week.

In London, the Wetherspoons on Whitehall, Marble Arch and in the City are good and cheap options, if a little cavernous.

The one on Tooting High Street is like an experiment in farming alkies to produce the smell of piss.
              You've never been to Gods waiting room then? (Cornet, Holloway Road).
              Possibly the most depressing place I've ever had the misfortune to visit. Stuffed to the gills of older fellas drinking pints (a lot of them Irish) at 09:00 on a Tuesday morning.

Most British pubs are awful. I really hope that the UK chains aren't successful in Ireland.
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                Hopefully we draw Sale next year (are they even qualified) and the MRSC can use it as a meeting point.
                Flanelly's was a classy joint.
                Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Used to be a Yates run pub near my house in Liverpool and a pint of Cains or John Smiths was a pound all day, every day. Grand spot frequented by locals. Never any trouble or messers and in a very working class area.
                  We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                  Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Being a lowlife and misbehaving after alcohol crosses all so called class divides. Doctor or Docker, it doesn't matter, a lowlife is a lowlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
                      Used to be a Yates run pub near my house in Liverpool and a pint of Cains or John Smiths was a pound all day, every day. Grand spot frequented by locals. Never any trouble or messers and in a very working class area.
                      I don't think working class would be the issue at all. A lot of very good boozers in a lot of working class neighbourhoods. The Wetherspoons I'm talking about tend to pop up on slightly tired London high streets that are otherwise populated by bookies and fried chicken shops.

Basically, cheap pubs (unless exceptionally well run) are a pretty intense microcosm of the areas in which they're found. The pub I ran in my youth was pretty solidly workers during the day. Postmen and others off the night shift in the morning, pensioners around lunchtime giving way to tradesmen by the late afternoon as they wrap up after early starts.

But that was partly because I spent the first two weeks barring anyone who looked at me funny There were plenty of wastrels hanging around the other places in town who were basically medicating from 11 in the morning with intermittent trips to the bookies.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        I don't think working class would be the issue at all. A lot of very good boozers in a lot of working class neighbourhoods. The Wetherspoons I'm talking about tend to pop up on slightly tired London high streets that are otherwise populated by bookies and fried chicken shops.

Basically, cheap pubs (unless exceptionally well run) are a pretty intense microcosm of the areas in which they're found. The pub I ran in my youth was pretty solidly workers during the day. Postmen and others off the night shift in the morning, pensioners around lunchtime giving way to tradesmen by the late afternoon as they wrap up after early starts.

But that was partly because I spent the first two weeks barring anyone who looked at me funny There were plenty of wastrels hanging around the other places in town who were basically medicating from 11 in the morning with intermittent trips to the bookies.
                        No it's not I agree and I apologise if I caused offence. I'm afraid I described the area poorly. Yes it was a rundown poor area but the clientele basically ordinary folk were top notch.
                        I love the working mans pubs in Cork and Limerick particularly the Barrack St/Bandon Rd area of Cork. Places like Moks, Annie Macs and Fordes are great boozers.
                        We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                        Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                          Flanelly's was a classy joint.
                          I was talking about that place the other day what an absolute dump.
                          Coventry gods toilet.
                          clowns

Comment

Originally posted by Mack the Knife View Post
                            No it's not I agree and I apologise if I caused offence. I'm afraid I described the area poorly. Yes it was a rundown poor area but the clientele basically ordinary folk were top notch.
                            I love the working mans pubs in Cork and Limerick particularly the Barrack St/Bandon Rd area of Cork. Places like Moks, Annie Macs and Fordes are great boozers.
                            No offence at all. Was worried that my original comment re: Wetherspoons sounded like I was saying that pubs in working class areas are automatically bad.

Comment

Originally posted by WeegieWarrior View Post
                              http://fullist.co.uk/2014/05/britain...es-manchester/

Think it could take off in Ireland? Obviously it would be based on Euros but the idea of budget alcohol in a bar setting, or do you think the alkies would ruin it for everyone?

Good idea or decline of modern man?
                              On the price point, you'd never see a euro a pint here. Alcohol sale is a lot less regulated in England than it is here (Scotland is closer to Ireland). Off-licenses closing at 10, as I'm sure you know from Scotland, drives up the price of alcohol, as do our pretty high taxes, plus licensing laws for on-license places, high property/rental prices and the almost total domination of the market by two breweries.

Wetherspoons are now making a couple of tentative steps into Dublin now, but they won't have half the pull they have in the UK because they won't have a market of 60 million people to work with. Even in Dublin, there are only a handful of places that don't serve Diageo or Heineken beer, and only one independent brewery chain of pubs (Porterhouse) - I'm open to correction on that though.

I quite like the model in Spain where bars will generally only serve one beer and you either like it or move somewhere else. It keeps the price low, but the cost of living there helps too. In Ireland, we like choice, so we'll tend to have a lot of beers available from different companies in every pub, and in commerce more choice almost always means higher prices.
                              Last edited by whimpersnap; 14th-May-2014, 00:18.

Comment

Working...
                              X