Travel Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Travel Advice

I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread for travel advice/help so I decided to start this in the hope I get some help on my query

I'm trying to find the best/cheapish way of getting from Standstead Airport to Oxford by public transport. It will over our (Irish) August weekend if that should matter over there.

I'm also considering doing hire drive as I'll have 4 adults, all to paid for from the one purse

I may also consider flying into another airport if there's reasonable public transport form that airport to Oxford.

What are my options?

I had a quick look at First Great Western and they are sending you to London Liverpool St, over to Paddington and then up to Oxford. £ 184 all in Return. See here

Comment

you can rent a car for about 100euros all in...
      go for that....

or get a decent car for 200euros all in....
      He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Only advice I can give as a regular traveller is book your flights asap. Bank Holidays on busy routes shoot up in price
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Drive. Once you're taking 4 people on a train the costs become pretty prohibitive. You'll also have to pay a premium for Stansted Express tickets for the pleasure of being taken into london so that you can duly leave it.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

this site gives some info on busses or taxis

Comment

There is a National Express coach every few hours. If you book now it is probably cheap enough.

Though if you use Argus, you will probably find that you can hire a car and have it for the weekend and it will be cheaper than a bus or train.

http://www.arguscarhire.com/

Driving would be much quicker, as you can go cross country, or you could even risk life and limb on the biggest car park in Europe (M25).
              Last edited by fitzy73; 29th-April-2014, 09:27.
              Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

That's great it looks like car hire might be the best option.

Will do a bit of searching later.

Comment

Apologies for the thread hijack but if we're dishing out travel advice -
                  I'm going to be driving from Bratislava to Croatia (south of Split) for the holidays this summer, it's an 8 hour journey and will have the extended family in tow (incl. my two year old triplets and their 3 yr old cousin)
                  Any suggestions for a place to stop and break the journey along the way? NB with 4 under 4 a decent playground or a buggy friendly walk outweighs any sites of cultural/historical interest (although both would be nice!) - Route is roughly - Bratislava-Graz-Maribor (SLO) -Zagreb-Split if that helps
                  Dublin Northeast FF free since Feb 27th 2011

Comment

You are either on drugs or you will be! I have no useful advice, I just admire your bravery.
                    Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy Whac View Post
                      I did a quick search and couldn't find a thread for travel advice/help so I decided to start this in the hope I get some help on my query

I'm trying to find the best/cheapish way of getting from Standstead Airport to Oxford by public transport. It will over our (Irish) August weekend if that should matter over there.

I'm also considering doing hire drive as I'll have 4 adults, all to paid for from the one purse

I may also consider flying into another airport if there's reasonable public transport form that airport to Oxford.

What are my options?
                      In case you do go for the car-hire option - I have in-laws living in a small town near Oxford, and their preference for picking us up is that we fly either to London Luton or Birmingham. The trip from Luton is about 10 miles shorter than the one from Brum, 20 miles shorter if you go via Aylesbury rather than the M40 - although depending on traffic, the M40 might still be a better option.
                      Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                        In case you do go for the car-hire option - I have in-laws living in a small town near Oxford, and their preference for picking us up is that we fly either to London Luton or Birmingham. The trip from Luton is about 10 miles shorter than the one from Brum, 20 miles shorter if you go via Aylesbury rather than the M40 - although depending on traffic, the M40 might still be a better option.
                        Thanks.

Just booked Aer Lingus flights Dublin/Birmingham.
                        Will look at car hire now.

Thanks for all the advice

Comment

Originally posted by My2Cents View Post
                          Apologies for the thread hijack but if we're dishing out travel advice -
                          I'm going to be driving from Bratislava to Croatia (south of Split) for the holidays this summer, it's an 8 hour journey and will have the extended family in tow (incl. my two year old triplets and their 3 yr old cousin)
                          Any suggestions for a place to stop and break the journey along the way? NB with 4 under 4 a decent playground or a buggy friendly walk outweighs any sites of cultural/historical interest (although both would be nice!) - Route is roughly - Bratislava-Graz-Maribor (SLO) -Zagreb-Split if that helps
                          No prob with the thread hijack.

Enjoy the trip.

Comment

Working...
                          X