Warning to Samsung Galaxy S4 Owners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning to Samsung Galaxy S4 Owners

O2 are rolling out software updates (kit-kat) at the moment. Be advised that there are lots of reports of phones being horlicksed as a result beginning to crop up. Non-rooted, stock phones; stock pushed OTA update roll-out, nothing dodgy on part of phone users.

My own has been hit. The only time it's stable now is when it's plugged into the mains; which makes it a phone, but certainly not smart and most assuredly not mobile. Bloody nightmare when you cant trust a device you've come to rely on so heavily.

Anecdotally seems frequent enough occurrance, but I can't define "lots" of reports. Factory resets (a royal pain in the hole) seem to help some, but not all users.

I'm waiting feedback from O2 & Samsung Ireland.

My advice: stick with the version you have if it's doing the business for you. Bypass the upgrade if/when offered.

Follow these instructions and install Cyanogenmod. The installation is for non-techy people and is piss-easy. Et Voila, KitKat on your S4 with none of the O2 rubbish. It works great on my S4.
    When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Cheers B.A. Am going to give O2/Samsung the rest of today to see if they can resolve as I'd prefer to keep things stock, but if I'm getting nowhere then it's useful yo have the root.

Who am I kidding? It's always useful to have a root...

Comment

Is it just O2 affected?
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't know - they happen to be rolling out the O2 updates over the air at the moment, hence I got hit. From what I can gather, not everyone has a problem, but from various international android forums I've gone to for info, it seems to be a common enough occurance with this kit-kat (android 4.4.2) update across networks. A factory reset seems to sort it for most people, but not all. I'm one of those.

I'll post up whatever resolution I get once I get one.

Comment

Just an update: Getting run-around from O2. No response yet from Samsung. O2 claimed no known issues and I was helpfully able to refer them to posts on their own forum from January which outlined identical symptoms following previous official android update roll-outs. In fact the same person dealing with my issue was the O2 representative who handled the earlier similar issue.

I guess there are known knowns and unknown knowns...

Comment

Just out of interest, why are you committed to using the stock ROM?
              When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Partly laziness and partly because if/when something does go wrong, as they tend to; I don't want to give Samsung/Network Provider any soft reasons to shrug and mutter warranty voided pal; good luck with that...

Comment

Just to update: phone has been sent away to Samsung for review/repair; via O2. After a fair bit of toing and froing, local O2 shop provided a replacement phone for the likely 2 weeks I'll be without Galaxy. If you don't hound them on this they'll not offer it and you may need to wait a while before handsets are available.

Guy in shop seems 100% satisfied that it's not a problem with software update, rather a "swollen battery" issue, which is the root cause. Not an uncommon problem per him & various internet forums. Supposedly a bad batch of batteries released in Q4 last year, most of which made their way into European supply chain. Battery should be replaced FOC but phone needs reflashing or so I'm told. Amazing coincidence that the download happened at precisely the same time the battery decided to bust a gut. Hmmm.

Hopefully this sorts things out.

Wish the muppets who pass for tech journalists in this country would flag issues like this rather than merely putting their name at the arse end of press releases about the latest and the greatest from the usual suspects. Seems the ad departments have editorial control...

Comment

Tech journalists in this country are awful. Adrian Weckler is particularly useless and clueless. Ciara O'Brien is marginally better but not by much.
                    "If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards - checkmate!" Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I updated to the latest version of IOS last night. It took a couple of minutes and was painless.

Comment

Quick update: picked up phone from O2 shop on 9th. New battery, FOC and phone reflashed. Well ahead of 2 week timeframe advised. Thankfully had everything well backed-up so no dramas on that front. Confirmed as a swollen battery issue. I insisted a note was taken of date of new battery issue as batteries apparently only come with a 6 month warrantly, unlike phone's 12 months, so if it recurs, I have another 6 months cover.

Phone working smoothly since then.

Remain unconvinced software update was not somehow a trigger of issues. Don't believe in coincidences.

Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X