Rhino Horn theft - the Rathkeale connection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rhino Horn theft - the Rathkeale connection

I read this over the weekend - courtesy of the excellent Sit down Sunday on the journal.ie - and it is a fascinating article on Rhino Horn theft. It would appear that a significant amount of the theft is being pinned on members of the travelling community in Rathkeale.

To put the thefts in context - and why it is so lucrative - consider this:

Even when perpetrators were caught, the horns were almost never recovered, which surprised no one; they were, everyone assumed, quickly cut into pieces and whisked off to China, where rhino horn is believed to have medicinal properties and is worth something on the order of $65,000 a kilogram. (Cocaine, in the United States, has a wholesale street value of around $25,000 a kilo.) A reasonable estimate would put the missing horns’ collective street value somewhere in the tens of millions of dollars.
    It is a long article - an hour plus - but well worth a read.

https://read.atavist.com/dead-zoo-gang

PS

It would be great not to turn this into a traveller bashing thread .. and a special prize goes to whoever first mentions "their culture"
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

It's their culture alright,

Sniffing dead rhino horn..

Those Chinese are nuts
    Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
      It would be great not to turn this into a traveller bashing thread
      first paragraph: The oldest of the three looked to be in his mid-forties and was overweight, with red hair and ruddy cheeks.
      When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Originally posted by B.A. View Post
        first paragraph: The oldest of the three looked to be in his mid-forties and was overweight, with red hair and ruddy cheeks.
        Could be anyone west of Lucan then
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I read this over the weekend .... It is a long article - an hour plus - but well worth a read.

https://read.atavist.com/dead-zoo-gang
          Interesting ... I had come across a similar article earlier in the year. My brother-in-law in the US sent it to me. I can't believe that this article appeared in Business Week and I had never heard of the story. I'm clearly spending way too much time in the UK ......

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...theft-epidemic
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...3m-384863.html

Be jaysus, I used to drink with these boys in O'Kellys in Groningen, gas men. Knew they were into dodgy dealing but not at this scale. The second guy was hilarious altogether, he'd have you in stitches laughing
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Those mugshots look like the result of a dawn raid following a heavy night on the town. "I'll tell all if ye'll just give us a couple of paracetamol, for the love of jaysus."
              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime...acts-1.2554873

They included six members of the same Rathkeale family, travellers’ rights campaigner Richard Sheridan, and Donald Wong, a London-based “fence” who made frequent trips to Hong Kong.
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

...It would be great not to turn this into a traveller bashing thread...
                  But it's fair to point out that these people are major league criminals and are infacta travellers from Rathkeale surely?

It's also fair to say that not all travellers are from Rathkeale, and that not all travellers (irrespective of where they come from) are involved in criminal activity.

PCNESS - gotta love it
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

So the Chinese lads won't be getting the horn then?
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Payment must have been in dodgy power tools and generators
                      Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Crime is the great leveller.
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sulla View Post
                          Payment must have been in dodgy power tools and generators
                          A bit of circumspect Google searching could very well show up some interesting results surrounding the movement of antiques and art works around the world also.

Provenance, what's that?

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                            But it's fair to point out that these people are major league criminals and are infacta travellers from Rathkeale surely?

It's also fair to say that not all travellers are from Rathkeale, and that not all travellers (irrespective of where they come from) are involved in criminal activity.

PCNESS - gotta love it
                            In before Balla Boy
                            When things go wrong, blame McGahan

Comment

Careful now...we don't want a complaint from Pavee Point....maybe another RTE production..."At Home With the Sheridan/Wong's".....riding a Rhino into the river at Applebee.......

Comment

Working...
                              X