Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Corkery speaks about his problems with Depression

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugb...-30008600.html

Read that on the way to work this morning. Fair play to him for speaking out. Takes massive cojones.
    Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

Good article by Vincent Hogan and great to hear Corkery is in a better place. I wonder sometimes how difficult it must be for former high-profile players to deal with the sports after-life. His career was cut short, which was devastating, and his take on the famous "night before the 2000 HEC final" is revealing. Best of luck to him.
      "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
      Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

I've kind of resigned myself to threads of this nature popping up. It's just sad how often depression hits people, and other issues. I've spoken at length about mental health in other threads but reading the article I just had to throw my hands up and accept this is reality. Articles like this help but really there's still going to be people, people like me and people like others on the forum who will always have it hanging over them. It's chronic in society, is chronic in humanity and it's chronic in peoples lives. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
        I know something that will blow your minds. I can't tell you and I can't tell you why I can't tell you. You'll know soon and then I'll be confirmed right.

Comment

Well done David Corkery and wishing him and his family well in the future. He never let Munster down ever.
          Frank the Tank is not coming back. OK? That part of me is over, water under the bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Buceph View Post
            I've kind of resigned myself to threads of this nature popping up. It's just sad how often depression hits people, and other issues. I've spoken at length about mental health in other threads but reading the article I just had to throw my hands up and accept this is reality. Articles like this help but really there's still going to be people, people like me and people like others on the forum who will always have it hanging over them. It's chronic in society, is chronic in humanity and it's chronic in peoples lives. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
            Indeed there will be people such as yourself and myself who will continue to live with and continue to learn about it. It,s good that people open up up, However I still find that some are aghast on finding out a person suffers, just can't get their head around it. I frequently get, I would never have pegged you. Still....onwards

Comment

I deal with this every day of my life it was great to read this article today as it help to see someone who's in the same boat come through it and see that life is about living .It is very hard sometimes to talk about it but when you do it does lift you're spirits. For me the turning point wasn't a phone call but reading Alan Quilan's book it was like someone turned a light swith on.
              After reading the book I got a chance to to talk to Alan to thank him for being so open in he's book.
              Even that chat helped me more
              Sorry for the speal but its better to say it out
              Stay strong
              Last edited by howbad; 15th-February-2014, 04:34.
              I formed a new group called Alcoholics-Unanimous. If you don\'t feel like a drink, you ring another member and he comes over to persuade you.
              Richard Harris

Comment

Good on you, Howbad
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Hello all

I have been asked to get some recommendations for mental health support professionals in the south Munster area (I suppose Cork, South Tipp, East Limerick area would be best). The person requesting isn't currently in a position to be more definitive about what kind of support they need, so if you could post or PM me with details of someone that you would recommend in general and contact details, that would be great.

(I'm also going to post this in the other threads that we've had about mental health issues.)

Thanks
                  SRG
                  The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                  X