Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish Independence

It appears DC ain't in favour, to paraphrase from his SKY speech:
    'from Pembrokeshire to Perth, from Belfast to Bristol this is our home and I don't want to see it torn up...'
    Last edited by ustix; 7th-February-2014, 12:15.
    Gwan Joe!!

Interesting times. Any Tory government is a shot in the arm for Scottish independence. The more he wades in, the happier Salmond will be.
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Just can't see the Scots having the nerve. Really can't.
      Con Artist

Comment

They will need to get all the English out of Edinburgh and the Unionists out of the rest of the country first.

Can't see it happening.
        Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I can't either. Referendums are a very difficult way of creating change, because the "better the devil" arguments become overwhelming, and a fairly crappy but understood situation is more appealing to most than uncertainty.

They voted to keep first past the post in elections recently through a mixture of party interest, lack of understanding and disinterest.
          "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Know it's different times, but can't help but imagine all the young men who could have lived, here in this country. Had we had the chance to vote ourselves out. Seriously brave lads & lassies going up against an Empire (& no I'm not referring to murdering Provo types)
            Con Artist

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy73 View Post
              They will need to get all the English out of Edinburgh and the Unionists out of the rest of the country first.

Can't see it happening.
              Scots alone will vote no. Ambiguity around currency, ambiguity around EU status, ambiguity around continued jobs in defence and thousands of scots in the armed forces.

I'm amazed that they've gotten as far as they have without having those issues absolutely clear for people to vote on.

Comment

Originally posted by Valencia View Post
                Know it's different times, but can't help but imagine all the young men who could have lived, here in this country. Had we had the chance to vote ourselves out. Seriously brave lads & lassies going up against an Empire (& no I'm not referring to murdering Provo types)
                We sort of did. We returned an overwhelming Sinn Feinn parliamentary body and basically got told to go **** ourselves repeatedly.

Comment

What if the scots vote no and the rest vote yes?
                  "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Yeah it is a machine. And a cross party machine at that. Senior Labour people are leading the "Stay in the UK" side. They have business people primed and aiming missiles

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ependence.html

Given such a constant onslaught, I'm astonished they are polling 35% plus to leave tbh.

Comment

Scottish Independence

Labour will never form another Westminster govt if Scotland goes. At least not without a Blair style landslide.

Comment

How many admirals has a fleet?
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

In fairness they don't have monopoly on idiots.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NotoForeignGamesRSFstyle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	2478755

Comment

Interesting times here in Scotland. 35% For is a very respectable minority.

But the arguments here are all about economics and jobs. Which, to me, is the cart before the horse. If you want independence from a nationalism point of view, then you should vote Yes and take care of the economics afterwards. But in places like Scotland in 2014, compared with Ireland in 1914, you have a massive middle class who will put their financial well-being ahead of nationalism.
                              "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                              Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Working...
                              X