Neck nomination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neck nomination

This madness is now being linked to two deaths in Ireland! I saw it pop up on my FB feed, and didn't know what it was at first. Some of the people I saw "nominating" surprised me to be honest.

A second death in the Republic has been linked to the online drinking game 'Neknomination' - with social media users in Northern Ireland also getting involved in the growing trend.

Police in the Republic are investigating whether Jonny Byrne (19) from Leighlinbridge was playing the game before plunging into the river near Milford Bridge, Co Carlow.
    ‘Neknomination’ has also been linked to the death of Dublin DJ Ross Cummins (22) whose body was found by shocked housemates on Saturday morning.
    The game is a social media craze that involves people being nominated to down alcoholic drinks and posting a video online.
    They then nominate another person via the internet to do the same thing. It has spread from Australia and can involve people on different sides of the globe interacting with each other.
    Facebook users from Northern Ireland have also been playing the game - with dozens of video 'dares' appearing across the site in the last few days.
    Jonny’s brother Patrick put up a message on his Facebook page saying ‘Stop Neknomination Before It’s Too Late’
    One friend posted on Facebook: “Everyone involved in gaa circles were shocked and in despair when news broke of the passing of our friend Jonny Byrne, Leighlinbridge at just 19 years of age. Last night, the Carlow U21 hurlers that beat Dublin last year were collecting an award at the Beat 102-103 sports awards but this couldn't be celebrated as they were missing one vital member, Jonny.
    “Jonny was a member of the Naomh Bríd Hurling Club, Leighlinbridge GFC and Michael Davitts Juvenile Football Club. He hurled with Carlow from U13 to U21 and of course was there on that famous night in Parnell Park. He was a warrior on the pitch, a rock in defence and gave 100pc on the pitch every time. A kind soul well liked throughout Carlow especially in hurling, he was a great hurler and footballer, a gentleman and an even greater friend and we are heartbroken.
    “We would like to send our deepest condolences to his family and friends at this difficult time.”
    Alcohol Action has warned about the online craze, saying: “drinking large volumes of alcohol in a short period of time can have very real consequences”.
    Jonny’s death happened hours after Dubliner Ross Cummins lost his life after apparently downing a whiskey drink in a ‘NekNomination’ challenge.
    It is understood the young man drank the pint at a party in Dublin on Friday night before going to bed, but was found dead the next morning.
    Gardai from Pearse Street are investigating the tragedy.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man - George Bernard Shaw

I think the term spastics is appropriate for anyone that indulges in these ****tarded fads.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Maybe its just me being cold but what does a fully grown adult expect to happen when you jump into a river in the middle of a storm on the 1st of February after drinking a pint of spirits? Seriously personal responsibility has to come in to play here.
      "Everything good about Ireland can be found in County Cork"....Lonely Planet Guide 2012

Comment

i wouldn't be one for drinking games but it's a bit much to blaming deaths such as these on a game which involves necking a single pint in front of a camera.

Comment

Its one thing necking a pint of beer ... Pretty fupping stupid necking a pint of whiskey though.
          Please support Milford Hospice. Click here to donate.

Comment

I've seen 2 of these videos on FB today. One by a lad whose nickname is Trigger and the other by a 40+ year old who drank some of his own urine. The mind beggars belief at times.
            Failure lies not in falling down, Failure lies in not getting up.

If voting could really change things it would be illegal.

Comment

The pubs are also pushing this ****e. Surprising, I know.
              The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                The pubs are also pushing this ****e. Surprising, I know.
                Yep it's fine if they nearly pay a fiver for killing themselves in a pub, but not at home because that would be irresponsible and lead to injuries or worse.
                We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

Tragic for family and friends, but a triumph for Darwinism.
                  "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

lads i love a crusade as much as the next fella but giving out about the pubs pushing a game which involves necking a pint of beer is hardly fair. even if a couple of geniuses killed themselves downing whiskey or jumping into a river during flood season.

if nobody was playing the game, there would still be the occasional fella necking the odd pint on a friday night and i see no issue with landlords vying to have those pints necked at their bar.

Comment

Originally posted by diarm View Post
                      lads i love a crusade as much as the next fella but giving out about the pubs pushing a game which involves necking a pint of beer is hardly fair. even if a couple of geniuses killed themselves downing whiskey or jumping into a river during flood season.

if nobody was playing the game, there would still be the occasional fella necking the odd pint on a friday night and i see no issue with landlords vying to have those pints necked at their bar.
                      I think its more just the staff of different pubs doing it and nominating other pubs, no punters.

Seeing more people putting them up today, including one out of a car window, while the car was being driven full speed on a public road. Surprised they haven't come to a standstill after the reports of the two lads.

These things tend to look embarrassing as hell a few weeks later.
                      "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

Obviously very sad to hear of the death of two young lads like that but this is more to do with a culture of binge drinking in modern society rather than any particular game/fad. As someone who has spent time working on the doors of clubs and pubs in London I don't think its a stretch of the imagination to say that if this game wasn't around people would find other reasons to get pissed and do stupid shoite that puts their lives in danger.
                        \"God gave me the talent but the forwards gave me the ball\" - Jannie De Beer

\"I hesitate to use words like spiritual or religious, but to see what rugby means to Munster people is very moving\" Shaun Payne

I look back on 2008 at the Millennium Stadium as the highlight of my career because, although being capped by New Zealand and playing for the All Blacks was fantastic, this was special. - Doug Howlett

Comment

The fatal stunt that led to the creation of this thread took place only a short distance from where I live. I came on the scene on my way home from work over two hours late, coincidentally because of the stupid and brainless actions of another 19 yr old.

Considering the state of the river at the moment it's a small mercy to his family, but a mercy all the same, that they have his remains back so quickly to allow them to begin grieving him properly. Kudos to the search and recovery crews for that.

As for the game, If that's what you'd call it, kudos to his Dad and brother for going on national media to say what they did. That can't have been easy.

This parenting lark doesn't necessarily get easier as they get older, does it? If yours are of an age that might put them in line for one of these nominations, for their sakes and your own, extract a commitment by whatever means that they'll steer clear.

A pint of whiskey, rum and another spirit mixed and downed in one go? FFS.

Comment

The neck and nominate thing did the rounds at my rugby club this summer. It basically involved videoing yourself seeing off a pint, maybe with some production value thrown in. One lad made a very entertaining pastiche of the southern comfort ad while on holiday walking down the beach.

It's become an exercise in extremism because the people doing it are ****ing idiots, not because it's a ridiculous thing in itself.
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

If I understand what's going on here correctly Balla, simply necking a beer isn't up to scratch.

Therein lies the problem: when the nominated one isn't able to rise above the peer pressure or, of course, is too bloody dim.

Comment

Working...
                              X