Clear All

• PARISHMAN1970
    started a topic Anne Lovett

Anne Lovett

Ann Lovett: Silence that will never be broken

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...en-257153.html

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Christy Moore's "Middle of the Island" is still an upsetting listen.

"It was a sad, slow, stupid death for them both".

Leave a comment:

• bugler
    replied
    Terrible case. There was more than "shame" at unmarried / underage pregnancy at play here. State and church again played a blinder to keep the skeletons in the cupboard.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Anne Lovett

Not just an issue in Ireland. My Aunt lived with my parents while pregnant at the age of 19. The baby was given up for adoption on birth without any options. My Aunt has been a nervous wreck all her life subsequently and the two 'legitimate' children she has had have had terrible mental health issues. Shame is indeed a terrible f'cking word!!!!
    Last edited by the plastic paddy; 31st-January-2014, 21:15.

Leave a comment:

• Stringer9
    replied
    I find it very hard to imagine those things happening. Just absolutely awful. Thank God we all live in different times now.

Leave a comment:

• Valencia
    replied
    Remember it well, I was only a young fella and now I have 2 daughters older than Ann was then. Funnily enough I never forgot her name and believe me I forget plenty.
    Also remember that great Wexford band Cry Before Dawn wrote a song about her.

Leave a comment:

• SecondRowGal
    replied
    Jesus, those letters are heart-wrenching... I remember the story all right, and even at my young age thinking how horrific that a young girl was driven to such lengths for "shame". Shame is surely the cruelest word in the English language.

Leave a comment:

• PARISHMAN1970
    replied
    Some letters people wrote into the newspapers about their own experiences at that time

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-s...tion-1.1673920

Leave a comment:

• McCloud
    replied
    I remember that. Was just after returning from living abroad. God I was shocked and upset that could happen to a young girl.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X